Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Drone_Fragger posted:

Does he realise betting odds are literally calculated based on the company not losing money rather than based on the chances now? It’s why when everyone turns up to dog pile a horse it goes from like 1:2 to 12:1 and still loses anyway.

plus with political betting there's a ton of people who put money on the outcome they're not voting for just so there'll be some upside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

Check out the prolapse photo posted in the GBS cursed images thread and you never will again. It's substantially worse than those I've sent people

where is your power now

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

well the goon prolapse photos include multiple angles and multiple angles of sounding + they're goon

reminds me of when the goatman outtakes were released

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Extremely low energy empty chairing in that debate! They should have put the sculptures behind podiums so they'd always look like missing leaders and be in every shot. Sticking them at the sides just made them look like part of the set, they were hardly ever in shot, and they barely even melted anyway

And both parties only got mentioned at the start and end, KGM kept opening questions by stating Tory policy which never got scrutinised, so they got off pretty lightly imo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

how long did that firm line from the BBC last, 2 days? like they're disciplining a puppy they just can't say no to - look at his widdle faaaace

"major terrorist incident"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

What's a minor terrorist incident?

what happens when someone calls Dennis Skinner a Tory

I dunno, a bloke with a knife started attacking people at random. It's obviously awful for the people personally involved, and the circumstances and shooting make it more politically relevant, but the media and government always fall over themselves to make a huge deal out of small acts of violence (if they can tie it to the current bogeyman, otherwise the violence that happens every day mostly gets ignored)

The whole point of terrorism is to make the biggest impact with limited action and limited resources, so the amount of gravitas that's lent to these incidents just makes them massively effective and encourages more people with a grudge to go out and stab someone or drive a car on the pavement. Obviously it benefits an authoritarian government and entertainment media to play it up, it's still poo poo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Comment or Commentariat: hardcore mode

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone on here into the minutiae of Labour's tax plans and understands dividends?
Someone claiming pensioners will be worse off under labour (and apparently admitted by John McD today).
From what I can see that is only pensioners who have dividend income that would push them into the £80k+ income realms but I may be entirely wrong.

You'd have to ask exactly what they're talking about, they're probably talking about how increasing corporation tax means companies pay out smaller dividends to shareholders, and they include people with a defined contribution pension. That's purely in isolation though, the dividends paid out depend on the company, its profitability depends on the economy... this is one of those things where ordinary people get the crumbs, so when you start talking about taxing wealth they can go "they're trying to take away your crumbs"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Shogi posted:

Thanks for your replies, all. Your range of thoughts pretty much reflects my own. I've not been responding by rolling my eyes back into my head and doing the Bodysnatcher squeal, so don't worry about about me appearing in the local rag next to an aggrieved pensioner who only wants to herd the foreigns into the North Sea. Mostly wanted to sanity check what I'm doing. Honestly I try to sow the seed of doubt but I've got a much lower threshold for disengaging and moving on than some fellas. I'm on firmer ground hunting centrists and they're-all-the-same types.

someone who goes off in a rant like that, there's no way you're changing their mind during a quick doorstep session. best you can hope for is yeah, sowing some doubts (and maybe discouraging them from bothering if they're voting right wing) but otherwise save your time and emotional energy for others

maybe ask some of the other canvassers how they quickly disengage and move on, there's a skill in assertively bringing it to a close with a positive message, so you can just leave without seeming aggressive or like you're running away. Wont work on everyone, but if someone's still ranting at that point there's no shame in walking away. Just try and think of it like a task you need to complete, you're not having personal conversations, y'know?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Blasmeister posted:

Lmao that the Lib Dem’s tactic of being an inch to the side of remain of labours policy so they can always call themselves The Remain party has hosed themselves like this. I assume the new policy will be 2nd ref BUT WE CAMPAIGN FOR REMAIN now that corbyn has given them a face saving niche to backtrack into.

the best part is Revoke is their main position even though they have no hope of forcing it, so they positioned a second ref as being like a consolation prize they don't actually want. And because they've publicly ruled out working with Corbyn so many times because of their parliamentary shenanigans, everyone assumes their realistic pitch to everyone is "vote for us and we'll try to get a second referendum, on Boris's deal" with all the support that implies

pretty amazing achievement to be the worst option for Remain AND Leave voters

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Continuity RCP posted:

What the gently caress is this

Still got it!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Novara getting some City reckons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yneVxhXMUO0

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'll have you know Jeremy Corbyn beat off 100 men to get his wife

oh wait, he helped her sister find her abducted daughter, classic jeremy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RockyB posted:

That's very close to my current office. I would happily have given them just as many up-the-corbyn quotes as the last guy if they weren't floating around at 3pm :(

Going after that the key 'banker going back to the office after a 3pm liquid lunch' demographic I guess.

I liked the implication that there's a lot of (probably younger) people in finance who want Labour to win and are totally fine with earning slightly less money if it turns the whole country around