Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Posting in the correct election thread with my scarlet letter.

That Ed tweet is gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Robot Mil posted:

I’m in Canada so pretty useless for this election,

feedmegin posted:

If you emigrated there from the UK less than 15 years ago you are entitled to a vote in your old constituency.

Definitely. I live in the US after passing through a couple of other places but make sure I get my vote in. One of the things which make it awkward is that postal votes can take ages to get out (and can be to late). Since you have a sister in London though you can appoint her as your proxy and she can vote on your behalf.

The application is quick, easy, and electronic these days:
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ronya posted:

The difference between their quantifiable performance might be miniscule.

In many sports it might be undefinable since luck dominates enough that they don't have enough matches during an evaluation period to winnow out those tiny differences.

In team sports you need to have the right people around you for success. etc etc

One thing I always mention when it comes to sports, remuneration and recognition is that for me the most American of all American things is that the team owners go out to claim the trophies. See this NBA trophy ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESZLEPFIsg or the NFL where the proles actually get to touch the trophy before it is given to the old white guy who enabled it all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSdjJid08ls.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Lady Galaga posted:

What the heck are these parties gonna do that's better and more democratic than a referendum on Brexit in 6 months??

Well, what they think will happen is that if Labour will they will canvas for their leave deal in the referendum, the Tories will gallumph along trying to get no deal (or shoehorn hard brexit clauses into the referendum) and remain will be hosed since no one with any money, power or influence will push for it.

So from the way they read the tea-leaves remain is hosed if it comes down to a Labour initiated referendum. If you think that leaving the EU is one of the dumbest things the UK has tried to do, even with a closer relationship than the Tories would ever countenance, then trying to find some way to avoid it is rational.

Of course, if the Tories win it is good night sweet prince for everyone.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

gently caress me, I didn't expect to open the thread and see another high rise in the process of burning down. Glad to gather that everyone got out safely.

[edit] By 2030 extreme poverty should have been abolished and everyone in the world should have access to basic sanitation. If the WHO, the "world community" etc hit their goals that is...

Munin fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 16, 2019

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Angepain posted:

I might be stoking controversy in this here ukmt in that I think polls are not completely useless. parts of them contain information that is useful. But the actual headline voting figures do rely on predicting turnout which is notoriously difficult, and the seat calculations are basically a guess. Also it's going to take a while for campaigning to properly have an effect on voting intentions, the manifestos aren't even out yet and a lot of people aren't really paying attention so far.

really interested in seeing how the scotland-only polls turn out, hopefully a few get done. most recent one was from just before the election was called.

Yes.

And one thing to keep an eye on is the trend for each pollsters poll as opposed to the headline numbers. Each poll is put together based on the same assumptions and a trend showing the numbers moving in your direction within an individual pollsters polls is always a good one. Of course the way polls are reported on often makes that difficult to do.

Some polls are also just generally lower quality than others be it due to smaller samples or lovely execution, etc.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Lol what the gently caress, that's like >800 quid a month in bills for a lovely one bed in a Kent seaside town of all places.

That's more than my studio rent in a mid-range city FFS.

You can't compare it to the rent in a flat because it is a fundamentally different charge.

The underlying problem seems to be that the way it was sold, initially priced, and marketed. It was as if it was just a standard flat in a seaside town. The fact is that the services provided to that flat are more extensive than it would be to a standard flat (cleaning, 24h alarm response were the two mentioned), hence the higher service charges, and the pool of eligible buyers seriously restricted. It is basically like a care home minus the 24h nursing care and with the great "opportunity" to sink a slew of your own money into the construction.

Anyway, it seems to have been designed to fleece people who didn't fully grasp what they signed up for (with a bit of tax haven spice sprinkled over the top to boot). What they were selling there was probably the perfect thing for a very select set of people but I think most ended up in exactly the poor schmuck in the article did.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Even with cleaning and 24 hour alarm response it's a pretty outrageous amount for a one bed, and that's ignoring the ground rent and council parts. Well I'd think it is, anyway.

Yeah, I can't comment on the amounts since I never had cost this kind of stuff out. Things like the hike after the freehold was sold off to an offshore holding company definitely sounds dodgy.

[edit]

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Retirement apartment service charges round my way vary from £120pcm to over £350 pcm depending on what is provided by way of services. The lower one has no wardens or anything like that, it's basically a flat that is only sold to over 55s and with conditions in the lease relating to your ability to take care of yourself. The highest one sold to over 60s has 24 hour warden, call systems in each flat, organized entertainments and so on. And yes, they're a sod to sell.

Ed: the council tax on my rental that I am just moving out of is the same as the over 55s job I am just moving in to (which is half the size).

So potentially mis-sold and misrepresented at the outset and then also shafted on the service charges.

The flat in this case sounds on the higher end of the ones you mention since the call system and warden is mentioned. Communal areas are also mentioned but no organised entertainment.

The general setup sounds like an awful idea to me since you end up in a business relationship with someone who can essentially charge you what they want and no remedy and a huge set of golden handcuffs should what they provide be poo poo or overpriced.

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 17, 2019

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

This however is clearly a habitable storm drain.
I actually rather like these. Used to walk or take the bus past them on the regular. They are right next to the train line and have these thick concrete walls facing the trainline and the north and these open windowed facades facing south You can't really see those from the angle the photo is taken from though, you only get the concrete banisters of the balconies which don't look that friendly... Also this is taken in autumn so all the flower boxes and greenery are bare.

That said never been in and I don't know what it is like to actually live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jose posted:

do you drive? if not you probably don't realise just how badly austerity has hosed roads around the UK

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!