Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Surprised Theresa isn't standing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Here's a good shareable 5 minute video about why Austerity is bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go2bVGi0ReE

Does anyone know a similar one about how the national budget isn't anything like a household budget?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I don't understand why when people on tv keep getting asked "what evidence is there that billionaires aren't paying their taxes" the answer isn't just the loving Panama papers.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Why wouldn't you just use one of these?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

jabby posted:

Did you see the survey question the graph was produced from?

Absolutely nothing to do with the Euro or council elections. They literally asked people 'if only the Lib Dems or Conservatives could win, who would you vote for?' and put the result in a graph.

The lib dems couldn't even win in a poll where they were the only option other than Conservatives. Yikes.

I'd like to see the results of that constituency for the same question but Con vs Labour.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1191408591594491904

Swinson might get her three-way after all then.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4broiLgbyb/?igshid=94uc5dl72g0w

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

This is a take so staggeringly bad that it really beggars belief.

Also, fair play, that last line "I just need to pull up my socks...oh wait I don't have socks" is very funny

This isn't an excuse at all, but he's practically playing a character. He's on American Dragons Den and is basically a capitalism troll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ubnDcyYGw

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

RockyB posted:

£8.21 an hour. £4.35 if you can find a young enough intern!

This is clearly a task for an apprentice (£3.90/hr)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Where is your poppy? This is the BBC :colbert:

(You did great!)

Edit; Element 99 is Einsteinium, a synthetic element created by nuclear explosions.

blunt fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 8, 2019

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1193155302172119040
We can go higher.

Were there even any polls this week? :confused:

I took part in a YouGov one yesterday, so they're at least being conducted.

E: It's worth pointing out that anyone can join YouGov. Be the change you want to see in the (polling) world.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

remember in the eighties when we had a movement of alternative comedians because all the popular established ones were really poo poo?

can we do that again

They're out there, they're great, they're not on (terrestrial) TV.

Better would be a world where people like Walliams, Mcintyre etc's opinions were considered too alternative for mainstream TV.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

But what's 'political' in the early 00s? The hard left lost, the hard right lost, and there was no impending domestic crisis that people wanted to talk about, other than the kids are wearing hoods now, so the fight was mostly on idpol and Iraq War bad and "I'm a right wing comedian, terrorists allah ackbar amirite" "I'm a left wing comedian georg bush nucular amirite" and both lots of them did alright out of Blairism. There was never much need to actually think about things far outside of the middle ground.

I think this is largely the reason that a lot of comedy in this (and the tail end of last) decade has moved from observational to confessional. Political comedy made a little bit of a comeback for a while with Trump and Brexit but unless you've got an exceptionally different and clever take people don't want to hear it because their entire day is already consumed with Brexit/Trump.

Maybe the massive increase in news media killed political comedy? Idk.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Joe.co.uk doing good work here (also thanks to a quick attempt to search for this on twitter, i find out joe apparently also stands for Jerk Off Encouragement and now my sexual orientation is dirty northern girls)

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1190300848309624834?s=19

This feels like political jerk off encouragement

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1189531798902054912

I came

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

quote:

Why did the chicken cross the road? Did it really think its life was more important than mine?

The answer is "yes."

In some ways, the chicken had been the better choice. The bird's body was more resilient than mine, so it would not have died from falling down. And as my life was more fleeting than the chicken's, there were no more excuses for me to stop and say, "Well, that's a lot of chicken."

But there was no question in my mind that the chicken had made a bigger mistake. For this one small mistake, it had created a greater evil.

So, it was time to let the chicken live.

Guys I think the AI is depressed.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't Boris Johnson running too?

quote:

Count Binface

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nationalised broadband with free service sounds like a really good idea from a infrastructure/investment/access point of view, but I'd be wary about a (presumably) single internet infrastructure being run by the government. It's not hard to imagine a future government getting trigger happy in expanding blocklists and banning VPNs etc.

Won't somebody think of the children

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Azza Bamboo posted:

What about are poonds though?

Are you saying pounds or poons?

Either way, blacklisted.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Lord Ashcroft Polls posted:

“He’s a proper nutcase and he likes to upset people. I quite like him.

The British public.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Would anything about remaining in the EU affect Labours plans to renationalise [Telecoms/Water/Energy/Trains] ?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly, but "the EU won't let us give you free broadband" might be relevant in the second referendum :v:

This is literally my fear.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Endjinneer posted:

A takeaway from this- Dominic Cummings has been kept away from the campaign so far, but as it's not going well there will probably be a power struggle which he'll win. That'll mean his deeply toxic and divisive tactics are going to come into play in the next week or two, especially if Boris bombs the debate on Tuesday.
One of the things Cummings attributed his referendum success to was using funds for total saturation in the last days, rather than a drip feed. We're winning the air war, we own the ground, the manifesto release is going to bring a huge burst of support but we need to be ready for their eleventh hour banzai charge.

I'm waiting for Labour to announce Levenson 2 on the final days of the campaign to watch the media implode about that instead of any last minute Tory announcements.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

yeah i've worked as a hospital porter and a labourer and they are easily the 2 most satisfying jobs i've ever had. now i work in an office and i just feel sad and tired all the time.

sort of a tangent but i think one of many reasons why i don't like bastani style FALC is cos many people myself included don't mind hard work and coming home knackered if what we've done that day is worthwhile and produces tangible things to be proud of. helping a pregnant lady get to theatre so she can have her baby, doing your bit to build a new school, etc.

sitting around all day while robots give us manicures would probably be a guarantee of mental health crises and spiking suicide rates tbh, seems so incredibly spiritually empty.

As a fellow IT-Office goon, can confirm the happiest I've ever been is coming home exhausted from 14hr bar shifts.

Granted it's not NHS levels of good karma but giving 500 people a fun and safe evening feels pretty good.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

justcola posted:

Can you only watch the debate on ITV (itv player?) or is it on twitch/youtube?

This is the livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kEB5pqWpJw

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Do you have any browser extensions installed that play/modify media or adjust your sound settings? Do you get the same volume jump if the only window that's open is incognito/private?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Just got this advert on Facebook:

Paid for by "Alexander Karczewski Crowley". I wonder who that is?

What about the Fair Tax Campaign. Well, their page was created on October 13th this year and has no listed administrators, staff or contact details. They're currently running 44 ads though, with no other content on their page, having spent a grand and a half so far with £500 of it not disclosed to them:

Totally cool that you can still run anonymous political ads on Facebook provided you attribute it to a made up person.

E: Turns out it's A former Boris aide, because of course it is.

blunt fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 20, 2019

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

blunt posted:

Just got this advert on Facebook:

[more words]

A little more searching and it turns out it's a former Boris aide who's already had ads banned in the last month for being misleading

BBC News posted:

Facebook bans political ad posted by ex-Downing Street aide

The Fair Tax Campaign, run by a former Boris Johnson aide, has been running an ad with the message "could you afford an extra £214 each month?"

It claims that this is what Labour's tax plans would mean for everyone.

Labour is yet to publish its tax plans or manifesto for the 12 December general election.

The Fair Tax Campaign is run by Alex Crowley, a former aide to Prime Minister Boris Johnson. Mr Crowley left Downing Street in late September.

He told the BBC the ad made a "legitimate charge" that was based on a New Economic Foundation Report from August this year. He said the campaign had no links with the Conservative Party.

'Provide clarity'
The message in the ad says "sponsored" but does not reveal who has paid for it. Under Facebook's rules, political advertisers have to register with the social media firm and every advert has to show who has paid for it.

Facebook removed the ad after being contacted by the BBC.

Cool.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1197519906142654464

What the? Pro Corbyn from Sky??

Since when did those chants have a tune?

Sky news aren't owned by Murdoch anymore and there's been a vibe on most of their programming for months that they're sick of the Tories shenanigans.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I only earn 80k a year what about the bloody rich eh?

I'm not the 5%! You're the 5%! 🌽

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

And apparently (while looking that one up), this is going to be their new logo from 2020:

:effort:

I think you'll find it's this from 2020:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got a decent argument to this response? My brain is non-functional this morning.

Statement: "Labour will put minimum wage up to £10 immediately"
Response: "So lots of people will lose their jobs to pay for it - for the few not the many"

If paying your employees a living wage means your business isn't viable then you've failed as a business man. Wrap it up and let someone else have a go.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Remarkable how different tonight's questions/audience/moderation/balance were compared to a usual Question Time.

Depressing to realise that the BBC are capable of making a balanced and informative show but choose not to every week.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

That's certainly an interpretation of the evening. Yikes.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tai posted:

Since there are quite a few Labour voters on here, I wonder if you could help me understand a few things.

I've had my head in the sand for the last few years regarding politics because, personally, why bother? I'm not voting Corbyn whatever happens. And yes I fully agree that the Tories are a poo poo show at the moment and this was going on when Blair was first running, I'd probably have voted for him.

But here's why I'm flat out lol gently caress off to Labour

This is generally not a slant at Labour voters but because my head has been in the sand 95% of the time, I am curious what Corbyns sell point. Change my mind!

I'm sure other people will do a much better job at this than me, but I thought i'd throw a few answers in as it's late at night.

quote:

Why are some Labour supporters going on that Tories will privatise the NHS? One of the big reasons why NHS wait times dropped under Blair was the fact he privatised a chunk of the NHS.

Blair was wrong to privatise parts of the NHS. The Tories were wrong to continue that privatisation and the leaked discussions regarding an American trade deal show that this would continue under them. There's constantly an NHS funding crisis - why does it make sense to throw money into the NHS when x% is skimmed out again for corporate profits when instead 100% of it could be reinvested into the service?

quote:

Why are students such fan boys of Labour? Labour were the party that hosed them by adding them in the first place. The con/lib dem pact raised it further but Labour got the ball rolling on that and both parties rolled it along with stopping it.

It's important to recognise that the current incarnation of Labour under Corbyn isn't a continuation of Blair's New Labour, which most current young Labour supports abhor, but instead a return to more traditional left wing values. I'm sure the idea of free tuition is part of it but I think you'll find students (and younger people in general) are much more concerned about issues like climate change, poverty and inequality and future prospects, and find Labours positions around these issues more attractive than the other parties.

quote:

How will all of this be paid? All the stuff he is promising is paid for by an increase to the top 5%. It's been proven by independent financial tanks that there isn't even close enough cash to do it.

The manifesto is fully costed. I'd encourage you to read it (the actual manifesto, not a third party analysis) and draw your own conclusions about how feasible you believe it is.

quote:

What is the big sell to people about nationalising services? It sucked prior so how will it work now?

Similar to the NHS, why should national utilities and infrastructure that everybody is required to consume be run on a for-profit basis?

quote:

Why would you want to dump nukes in a nuclear world that is pretty poo poo right now. Nukes are bad but least we have them till everyone agrees to get rid of them (not anytime soon).

Labour's position is that they would continue to maintain and invest in trident.

quote:

After years of austerity, Labour have flat out said they will increase public spending and put us back in the same poo poo show in the future. We had austerity (yes it sucked) to get our deficit back down so we run a surplus to pay off our public debt. Maybe we should try living within out means instead of writing more cheques? Us commoners (mostly) do this.

A government budget doesn't work like a household budget. Austerity is a disproven economic model which results in wealth transfer from the poorer end of society to the richer. A good 5 minute primer on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go2bVGi0ReE

quote:

Numerous racism cases again Labour doesn't feel me with a lot of joy.

It's hard to respond to this without you citing some examples, so i'll just say the Labour party has over 500,000 members, some of them are going to be shitheads and when cases are raised they are responded to.

quote:

Why in the loving loving fuckty gently caress would you want Diana Abbot in charge of UK special forces and MI6 and Mi5 along with the met? She is an incompetent dick splash who is a out right danger to national security. Thornberry isn't far off either. Both the armed forces and the police regularly mock the former.

Ok? I disagree. If you want to provide some examples of why you believe she's an "incompetant dick splash who is an out right danger to national security" then I guess we can have a dialogue about it.

quote:

Links to various terrorist groups (or rumours of).

See previous point.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MrFlibble posted:

gently caress you both

poo poo man, we're in an election period. It's better to answer bad faith questions with good faith answers than to tell people to get hosed, even if just for the prospect of changing a lurkers mind and not projecting a "hard left are just as bad as the fascists" image, even if it'll do nothing to change the OP's opinion.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Chuka Umana posted:

He's just assuming that because she's a black woman and in his mind all black women are dumb and hate white people.

Sure, i'd just like him to actually say it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Chuka Umana posted:

There's no reason why I should have to argue that Dianne Abbott is miles better than Priti Patel and if you think otherwise go gently caress yourself.

MrFlibble posted:

I believe referring to Dianne Abbott as an incompetent dicksplash is vile and should not be entertained by the posters of this thread. And the posters making good faith replies are welcome to.

I agree! If he has an answer that isn't "because she's black" then we can talk about it, if the answer is "because she's black" I want him to verbalize it so that he can come to terms with the fact that he's racist, his opinion isn't one that is shared or tolerated by most of society and that he should rightfully feel ashamed about it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Continuity RCP posted:

This guy does not want to have his mind changed

But other people who lurk this thread might have similar questions (though hopefully less racist) and it's an opportunity to answer them for those people.

e:

Ratjaculation posted:

I have a white friend who tried to argue that she is actually a super racist because she once said something about her experiences growing up black in britain.

Sorry your friend has bad opinions. Hopefully they've changed over time?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

The good and unbiased election voting guide image seems to be missing from the OP, would someone mind posting it for me, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Sunday night poll theory with absolutely no evidence to back it up: young people use less committal language than older generations, so when asked "how likely are you to vote" they respond less certainly than older generations, even if they are as likely to vote. This results in more of their answers being discarded.

Is it true? No idea!