Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Early in the 21st century, the Tyrell corporation advanced Robot evolution into the Nexus phase - a being virtually identical to a human - known as a Replicant.

The NEXUS 6 Replicants were superior in strength and agility, and at least equal in intelligence, to the genetic engineers who created them.

Replicants were used off-world as slave labor, in the hazardous exploration and colonization of other planets.

After a bloody mutiny by a NEXUS 6 combat team in an off-world colony, Replicants were declared illegal on earth - under penalty of death.

Special police squads - BLADE RUNNER UNITS - had orders to shoot to kill, upon detection, any trespassing Replicant.

This was not called execution.

It was called retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I just watched the new Blade Runner two days ago. Long as hell, but it didn't really feel like it when watching it at home. Amazing visuals, too.
Somehow, I managed to miss the big reveal two thirds towards the end and then thought the last two minutes were the big reveal and it was a bit anti-climactic.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The soundtrack to the new blade runner is fantastic. It’s ok Spotify. The flight to LA song is best served extremely hot and loud.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Blade Runner 2049 is an excellent film and I'm really glad I saw it in theaters. Just visually gorgeous.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yooooooo, NuBladerunner was a delightful trip.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I dressed as The Whistleblower tonight and got applause for it. Sorry I wasn't here to start the new(s) thread.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Your secret is out whistle blower. You didn't whistle blow my lack of trick or treater's tonight. I still have candy left.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Oh crap this is Novembers thread. Sorry

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bill de Blasio may not be the most likable moron, but:

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2019/10/31/de-blasio-something-doesnt-fit-about-jeffrey-epsteins-death-1226158

Even Bill de Blasio isn't dumb enough to believe Epstein killed himself.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Is this a real court case?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yes. It was dropped when he became president and the plaintiff feared for her life from his followers and goons. She was 13 I believe when the argument over her rape took place. The rest is only more disturbing.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1190076855946240001?s=19

He wouldn't lie would he

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bored As gently caress posted:

It was, but was dismissed because it didn't state an applicable violation. (The woman had filled her own lawsuit in California alleging a civil rights violation)
Her lawsuit was refiled later that year (2016) in New York by an attorney, but the Jew bastard part was not included in that lawsuit. The anonymous woman dropped the new lawsuit in October 2016.

Here's a Vox article on it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

He's going to do both sides of the call and put on a bad Russian accent for the Ukrainian PM side. It will be glorious.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It's also going to be full of blatant, outright crimes, but he won't realize that they are crimes and just call them "doing business" and "making a great deal".

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Warren just put out the costs for her health care plan

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/ending-the-stranglehold-of-health-care-costs-on-american-families-bf8286b13086

$52 trillion over 10 years

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1190257285056086016?s=19

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

maybe they should start sharpening the ends of their lenses

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1190065956304896000?s=19

Bernie drawing attention to the private equity bros that killed Deadspin.

Also, Drew Magary mentioned the writing staff being invited on to The View which should cast an even bigger spotlight on just how much the brain trust at G/O media hosed up.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Watching Never Trump Republicans whine about this has made my morning.

:qq: "You have to run a more moderate candidate or we'll have to go vote for Trump again!"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/dansolomon/status/1190265515509460992?s=19

????????

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
gently caress Iowans

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah, thats iowa

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It means that people are aware that things are hosed up right now and need to change, but at the same time they've been brainwashed for decades into thinking that being seen as anything other than moderate or in the center is bad.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

It means that people are aware that things are hosed up right now and need to change, but at the same time they've been brainwashed for decades into thinking that being seen as anything other than moderate or in the center is bad.

Iowans want a moderate D who will enact fascist R policy to fundamentally change our society.

Bingo, bango so simple

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

And of course nowadays the center is halfway between "let's murder all the minorities" and "let's not do that."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What do we want? Change
When do we want it? Now
What are we gonna do? Nothing

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Alright, so bullet points:

• $52 trillion would be spent under current system, slightly less than $52 trillion would be spent under M4A, and under M4A $11 trillion that would be paid through household premiums and out-of-pocket expenses would instead stay with taxpayers, effectively becoming a massive stimulus.
  • Administrative spending on healthcare costs would be cut significantly, from 12% of premiums to 2.3% (current Medicare level)
  • Costs for medical care cut significantly by paying Medicare rates instead of made-up/significantly inflated rates currently charged. Billing costs would also be reduced significantly as a consequence.
  • Break up hospital chains and prevent mergers to ensure competition
  • Bring down prescription drug prices by leveraging buying power to negotiate better prices and, if necessary, making drugs ourselves.
  • Redirect state spending on healthcare to federal spending
  • Total new federal spending required thus estimated at $20.5 trillion over 10 years.

And paying for it:

• Have employers pay 98% of what they would be spending on healthcare costs to the federal government instead, generating ~$8.8 trillion. Employers can pay less if they have collective bargaining agreements with their employees.
  • ~$1.4 trillion from existing taxes off of the $11 trillion that people would no longer be spending on healthcare premiums/out of pocket costs, or from tax exemptions on health savings accounts.
  • Increase enforcement of existing tax laws, pointing the IRS at the rich and offshore accounts, to the tune of $2.3 trillion we should be collecting anyway
  • $800 billion from a .1% tax on the sale of stocks and bonds by financial firms, and fees on large banks for $100 billion
  • $2.9 trillion from changes to the tax code on corporations to prevent things like depreciation shenanigans and hiding wealth overseas.
  • $3 trillion from taxes on the ultra-wealthy, including a 6% wealth tax on assets over a billion, and changes to how capital gains taxes are assessed and collected.
  • Implement the 2013 immigration reform bill, which will generate ~$400 billion in new revenues
  • Cut the DoD's Overseas Contingency Operations fund, redirect the ~$800 billion that would otherwise be spent on wars over the next ten years.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Sounds good to me

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

They want a blue dog that doesn't say the quiet part out loud. In short

Milo and POTUS posted:

gently caress Iowans

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Warren's plan is bad. It's real bad.

https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org/2019/11/01/warrens-perpetual-medicare-head-tax-is-unworkable-and-bad/

Have some charts and numbers. And some excerpts:

quote:

The proposal is as follows:

Employers will be required to pay an “Employer Medicare Contribution” equal to 98 percent of their per-employee health care costs in the year prior to Medicare for All’s implementation. This will mean that initially some employers pay more than others since that is already the case in the status quo. But over time, each employer’s contribution will be gradually converged to average Employer Medicare Contribution until every qualifying employer is paying the same amount per employee.

Employers with less than 50 employees would be exempt from the Employer Medicare contribution both initially and forever.

Independent contractors (and the companies who hire them) will also be exempt from the Employer Medicare contribution both initially and forever.

What Warren is proposing here, in ordinary fiscal language, is a Medicare Head Tax. This is a departure from the normal Medicare Payroll Tax proposals. The distributive difference between them is that the Medicare Payroll Tax charges a specific percentage of each worker’s earnings, while the Medicare Head Tax charges a specific dollar amount per worker.

quote:

Separate from the distributive problems of Warren’s head tax, the two exclusions also make the proposal clearly unworkable and easily gamed. All companies have to do to avoid rather large head tax charges is spin off workers into independent contractor status or spin them off into firms with less than 50 employees that they then contract with for services.

Once some employers start doing this, the average Medicare Employer Contribution will have to go up to keep revenue stable, which will push even more employers to restructure their labor into independent contracting or outsourcing to small firms. And, at that point, the death spiral is off to the races.

It's proposed because she has plans as the planning plan candidate, she wants a plan that screams "YOUR TAXES WON'T GO UP, I PROMISE", and because she can't actually support a single-payer system.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Independent Contractor Status for All

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

redneck nazgul posted:

because she can't actually support a single-payer system.

Oh come the gently caress on

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah im waiting to see some good analysis on it like that bc im dumb and that poo poo is above my brains paygrade

$52 trillion is such a large goddamn number it seems kind of ridiculous to try and understand it as one large goal.

that being said it might be enough to scare me into going Bernie instead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The middle of the road is the best place to be!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress that. I'm looking likely to be put on salary soon.

So many weed companies make everyone contractors, it's bullshit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah im waiting to see some good analysis on it like that bc im dumb and that poo poo is above my brains paygrade

$52 trillion is such a large goddamn number it seems kind of ridiculous to try and understand it as one large goal.

that being said it might be enough to scare me into going Bernie instead.

It's more $52 trillion compared to what's being spent currently than "need to come up with another $52 trillion" unless I am mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

The middle of the road is the best place to be!

If you want to get run over.