Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

That Works posted:

It's more $52 trillion compared to what's being spent currently than "need to come up with another $52 trillion" unless I am mistaken.

$52 trillion is the total of estimated healthcare spending over ten years from private, state, and federal sources. The real number to look at is the $20.5 trillion in new federal spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
All of this healthcare stuff and how the winds will blow is very interesting to me, especially as someone who works for a company that helps hospital/chains to manage and lower costs through our services.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we also really need to ramp up residency funding if we're ever going to hope to actually let people see a physician

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Also I just want to address this point from the article that redneck nazgul posted because lol

quote:

All companies have to do to avoid rather large head tax charges is spin off workers into independent contractor status or spin them off into firms with less than 50 employees that they then contract with for services.

Do we seriously think that Wal-Mart or General Motors are going to dissolve their companies into countless >50 person entities to avoid costs that they're already paying, under a rule that already exists?

Like there seem to be issues with the employer aspect of Warren's healthcare plan, but this is the dumbest possible critique and should not be taken seriously.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Jobs in healthcare are the epitome of bloat and bullshit.

When I worked for a hospital system to make a vendor purchase I had to fill out 8 short pages of web forms on their slow-rear end server, just so someone else on the administrative end could do the same thing, before someone else could physically call and make the purchase with the vendor. The problem is that too many people are dependent on these bullshit jobs and the ruling class would rather have people doing useless tasks than just give out UBI. Healthcare, and other associated bullshit bureaucratic jobs are a jobs program. Some anthropologist (lol) has written about this phenomenon
https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-review/the-bullshit-job-boom

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also I just want to address this point from the article that redneck nazgul posted because lol

Do we seriously think that Wal-Mart or General Motors are going to dissolve their companies into countless >50 person entities to avoid costs that they're already paying, under a rule that already exists?

Like there seem to be issues with the employer aspect of Warren's healthcare plan, but this is the dumbest possible critique and should not be taken seriously.

You subcontract everything to a temp agency that uses independent contractors.

Many service industries have been doing this for a long time. Its very common for call centers for example. Even within the auto industry temps are used on the line a lot of places and all they'd have to do there is to switch agencies to get the total cost of employees down.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i could see them going the independent contractor route

amazon does a shitload of it so it's definitely feasible for a large corp to do

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Any kind of real healthcare reform would have to address the independent contractor bullshit that large (and smaller!) corporations do all the time.

e: Also we need to address companies abusing part time workers to avoid giving benefits.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
GM doesn't directly employe everyone involved with their vehicle manufacturing, almost all the parts are made by other companies with their own rules etc. This is true for most major manufacturing places.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

You subcontract everything to a temp agency that uses independent contractors.

Many service industries have been doing this for a long time. Its very common for call centers for example. Even within the auto industry temps are used on the line a lot of places and all they'd have to do there is to switch agencies to get the total cost of employees down.

Except there are limits to how much you can do this, and many companies are already doing this to the greatest possible degree they can get away with. Which means that it's disingenuous to suggest that every company will immediately start doing this (As though they weren't already) and that it's a fundamental flaw in the plan when the >50 employee rule already exists and has existed for half a decade.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Thousands want breed of ‘hero’ dog in al-Baghdadi raid

Cue thousands of dogs ending up in shelters or euthanized because assholes think they’ll look like ~oPeRaToRs~ showing up at the dog park with a grossly undertrained Belmal to go along with their Oakleys and Grunt Style shirts :mad:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

You don't build those caveats into a system like this unless you want it to fail. Unless you're going to address the independent contractor thing, actually define a small business beyond "Has less than 50 employees", and say "If you're employed by a company, you're employed by them, none of this 39.75 hours and you're still part-time", this plan is going to fail.

It doesn't matter how many people Google or GM employ/convert over to independent contractors because the problems are structural and it's a tragedy of the commons situation: Eventually, companies will start gaming the system and paying less, which means that everybody else pays more until it breaks and we go back to where we are today if we're lucky.

This entire plan is built to fail because it's first and foremost a "I'm not gonna raise your taxes!" plan. Coming up with numbers is a secondary concern, actually having something that would work wasn't in the equation.

None of this is in any way better than a payroll system.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Cue thousands of dogs ending up in shelters or euthanized because assholes think they’ll look like ~oPeRaToRs~ showing up at the dog park with a grossly undertrained Belmal to go along with their Oakleys and Grunt Style shirts :mad:

Malligators are awfully niche breed and are not for the average owner. This will end badly like every thing trump touches.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People went and bought poo poo tons of Dalmatians because of a movie and it didn't go well because surprise surprise they're really active and perhaps not the best for families with kids. There are already too many people who are too stupid to have regular pets.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

this already happens with GSDs, so... yep. I guess the bright side is that if i want to adopt a belgian malinois soon they'll be available

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
"taxes are killing me" I scream as I pick up my $7000 operator dog in my $83k truck and drive to my McMansion oh yeah Im just some dumb middle manager in Ohio who cosplays as a rancher because im the most fragile motherfucker alive

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

redneck nazgul posted:

This entire plan is built to fail because it's first and foremost a "I'm not gonna raise your taxes!" plan.

yup, and we heard it before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MW44jsYi0g

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

People went and bought poo poo tons of Dalmatians because of a movie and it didn't go well because surprise surprise they're really active and perhaps not the best for families with kids. There are already too many people who are too stupid to have regular pets.

Im so happy most of Kedah's extra energy gets spent in her spread eagle DEATH FROM ABOVE! leaps onto the bed a dozen times to get me moving after i wake up and she wants breakfast. That and knocking my phone out of my hamd when i take too long dealing with work email before getting up

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 1, 2019

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"taxes are killing me" I scream as I pick up my $7000 operator dog in my $83k truck and drive to my McMansion oh yeah Im just some dumb middle manager in Ohio who cosplays as a rancher because im the most fragile motherfucker alive

These people should be getting dogs as lazy as they actually are. A Malinois is waaaay too high strung for most people. Get a Tibetan terrier instead, they were bred for the sole purpose of keeping monks warm.

Or better yet get a mutt from the pound.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Deadspin staffers are doing "gently caress you, I quit" the right way.

Heroes.

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1190309837952946176?s=19

https://twitter.com/thechrisws/status/1190306629817909250?s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

at least they are SLIGHTLY less of a handful than a husky i guess but gently caress's sake

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"Yeah, so he attacked my dipshit kid because I was ignoring him outside of Instagram photoshoots. Kid too for that matter . So we had to put him down"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Slim Pickens posted:

These people should be getting dogs as lazy as they actually are. A Malinois is waaaay too high strung for most people. Get a Tibetan terrier instead, they were bred for the sole purpose of keeping monks warm.

Or better yet get a mutt from the pound.

Mals are not good pets, no. I mean, if you trail run a few times a week, don't have kids, and can dedicate endless hours of training to keeping one in line, sure.

That said, if I had a grow op of my own to run, I'd have 3 mals to run the inside of the fence all night. They'd have a little guard dog shack with heat and AC. They learn quickly who to recognize and will eat the rear end in a top hat out of anyone they don't know or instructed to let alone.

I met lots of mals when I worked at that dog supply warehouse. Awesome dogs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Huskies aren't that much of a handful if you aren't an idiot. Sled dogs can be pretty rammy, but they're perfectly good family dogs if you can handle them. Ours is turning 5 in December.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Huskies aren't that much of a handful if you aren't an idiot

Well we are talking about a dog choicebecause of tv/movies

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
There's a bunch of great Pyrenees dogs where I am and they seem awesome. A big fluffy dog that's kinda lazy and gentle

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

redneck nazgul posted:

You don't build those caveats into a system like this unless you want it to fail.

Politicians don't campaign on policies they don't want (usually). Warren isn't proposing this because she somehow wants to cripple Medicare for All, she's clearly doing it because she wants to campaign on not raising taxes on the middle class. This is politics, not rocket science.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Lets check in on the most effective Speaker the GOP has had in decades

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1190316225030737920

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've owned labs for most of my life and if I ever get another dog, I'll probably get another lab. Love those big dopey bastards.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I've owned labs for most of my life and if I ever get another dog, I'll probably get another lab. Love those big dopey bastards.

https://twitter.com/TheGoldenRatio4/status/1190005819301085195

Edit: actual news, great that we're respected and feared in the Mideast

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1190031023058440192

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 1, 2019

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Politicians don't campaign on policies they don't want (usually). Warren isn't proposing this because she somehow wants to cripple Medicare for All, she's clearly doing it because she wants to campaign on not raising taxes on the middle class. This is politics, not rocket science.

Well, hopefully she'll campaign in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania this time because this is sounding awfully familiar.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Every Lab I've ever met has been a dopey gently caress. I love it.
We have an extremely intelligent German Shepard/Beagle mix. She would have been an amazing working dog if people hadnt spent her first 7 months abusing the poo poo out of her. We also have a super dumb Pit mix. She is probably the 2nd dumbest dog I've ever met, but will love you to death.
11/10, mo' dogs, mo' betta.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
My wife and I are convinced that retrievers are actually one dog consciousness shared across multiple fluffy, dopey bodies. I’ve had a few labs and now have a golden. They are all the same personality with nearly identical habits.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

am i missing somethng, those are golden retrievers

also i love luca more than anything in this world, everyone* should have a white shepherd

*he's big and strong as gently caress, so be prepared for that

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Never buy purebreds. They're all medical timebombs waiting to go off anyway.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Counterpoint

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Madurai posted:

Never buy purebreds from a puppy mill. They're all medical timebombs waiting to go off anyway.

Edited for accuracy. A good breeder does genetic testing and can provide the results to you.

Also Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers are the best.

Edit: Mutts can be a host of genetic disorders too. Less frequently, but still.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

redneck nazgul posted:

Well, hopefully she'll campaign in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania this time because this is sounding awfully familiar.

:rolleyes: Warren has her issues, no doubt, and the things you criticized about her M4A policy have some merit behind them but acting like she's Clinton 2.0 is disingenuous as gently caress.

Casimir Radon posted:

Huskies aren't that much of a handful if you aren't an idiot. Sled dogs can be pretty rammy, but they're perfectly good family dogs if you can handle them. Ours is turning 5 in December.

I grew up with huskies (or rather a family friend that watched me for long periods of time had a bunch that they mushed) and I love them. If you know what you're doing, they're great dogs. Still, my wife (she's a vet) refuses to let me get one unless we end up moving to Canada, and even then, it's not a given. They can be really hard to manage.

They are great dogs but too many dipshits get them (and BelMals, German Shepards, etc) without bothering to understand the amount of work and training that you need to put into owning that breed of dog. I do think huskies are on the lower end of how much training and work you need to keep them, but it's still massively more work than a lab or a pittie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Border collies are stupid simple to train and are super affectionate, generally. Also great with kids. Just a mutt with mostly collie genes would be easy to train.