Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yooooooo, NuBladerunner was a delightful trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Epstein was American AND rich. He got murdered with no consequence.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Current Event: I got my wedding video back y'all! Bombing the forums with this link like Turkey bombing the Kurds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSCJuWI_y8Q

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Maybe it's a California thing. Ever school in my neighborhood has banners for after school programs and supper programs. So on that level, hell yeah nationalize that concept!

On the other hand I work/volunteered at a place where we had at-risk highschool kids run a cafe. It waThe state paid them through an educational stipend and the company didn't have to. So I also see how this can be easily exploited, because I done that exact exploitation.

In conclusion Khamala Harris will make seeing children outside of school illegal from sunup to sundown. The punishment will be in the form of a live action battleroyal in a business partnership with fortnite.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Boomer is all of the buildup of explaining how out of touch you are to a public forum to couch your inquires. These pre statements are used communicate your judgement on it, making it very clear that *thing* is not a part of you.

Brother, Billie Eilish is every one of us. You just learned the truth. All you had to do was type her blessed name into a search bar if you were truely curious. But at least now you have a second hand experience of Bill Bill to pass on if it comes up again in conversation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm like 6-8 years behind the curve when it comes to music, since that's the amount of time for all the fad type stuff to filter out and only the really memorable or good music is still floating around in the public consciousness.

However, that's the first Billie Eilish song I've ever heard and it sounds like something from a bad trip that would make you want to slit your wrists. Why has it been seen 620 million times :psyduck:

Boy howdie. Lemmie tell you about My Chemical Romance Death Can For Cutie Adell Mariya Takeuchi pop music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPoiv0sZ4s4

Edit: I haven't even clicked on the song yet. Thanks for linking, will check out after I'm done jamming out to this.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Buttcoin purse posted:

Hopefully I'm not opening a huge can of worms here, but I don't know what to think about this stuff. If all software, music, movies, etc. were free, I assume nowhere near as much could be produced because everyone would have to do it in their spare time. On the other hand, if piracy was totally prevented, a lot of poor people would miss out on all sorts of things, and it would also stop some things from being produced. Don't get me wrong, I think that's a separate issue from whether founding a successful company should turn you into someone with so much wealth you can't even give it away fast enough to shrink it, but is saying "please don't steal our stuff" wrong in any way if you're still quite a small company?

I mean, history shows that he did aight. He is currently aight despite that hobby market piracy rate. It provably did not sink him or his fledging company.

So gently caress him and Metallica retroactively.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Edit: I feel like piracy was at it's best back in the late 2000's and should be a model that we hope to maintain. God drat I miss those days, peer to peer was in it's post Napster and kazza era of having competing warez communities. My kat.ph ratio was a fair metric of giving back as much as I brought in.

gently caress, took a look at the torrent tracking landscape a week ago and poo poo is bleak. I actually got took me a while to figure out which of the links in each listing wasnt the bogus one. I think I've gotten too old and out of touch to pirate. All my old hook ups either flipped, are dead or in jail.

That's my piracy story. Bill Gates shared his.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

El Mero Mero posted:

Just find a private tracker.

We actually live in a golden age of piracy because now there are insane tools that automatically find and download new content and services like Plex or emby that let you make your own Netflix.

The continued balkanization of streaming services is also driving a resurgence here too.

The gently caress are the words to search nowadays?!? What is this Plex and Emby? Only thing I remembered to check is TorrentFreak, a blog which currently serves as an obituary of every tracker I was familiar with. Is Fitgirl a legit repacker?!

For me and my history, looking into the piracy scene of today felt exactly like the first time I went to the old home after years in the military. Places have changed signs, but are still fundamentally the same. Like, the Sinclair gas station is now a 7/11 and everyone you know either moved on, went legit, or fell down a meth hole.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Nah, the majority of games are being cracked on the reg still, every now and then some drm like denuvo will take longer, but even then, it's just a matter of time generally. Uh, from what I've heard anyway...

The only real deathknell to piracy I've seen is for games that have an online component. I haven't attempted to pick up a crack for anything that requires a log in.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

FAUXTON posted:

yeah that's about how long it takes before anyone wants to invite the grandparents over to see the baby

:wow:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Veterans day is the only time I let the cat outta the bag. Well it can come up organically, but today I am shoving my freedom papers in the face of every liquor store man to get a free beer.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1195016894962470912?s=19

Convicted of a crime I didn’t even commit. Hah! Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry? Do they?”

— Sideshow Bob, “The Simpsons,” Season 6, Episode 5, 1994

This rhetorical absurdity, originally intended as a joke on a TV cartoon, is now being trotted out in all seriousness by the GOP. What New York magazine writer Jonathan Chait has called the “Sideshow Bob defense” has become central to Republican efforts to shield President Trump from accusations of wrongdoing. Because the Ukrainian quid pro quo was ultimately unsuccessful, the argument goes, no crime was committed, even if one was attempted. The editorial page of the Wall Street Journal wrote (apparently not joking): “Many people in the Administration opposed the Giuliani effort, including some in senior positions at the White House. This matters because it may turn out that while Mr. Trump wanted a quid-pro-quo policy ultimatum toward Ukraine, he was too inept to execute it.”

AD

Chait has noted other examples. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), for instance, said: “Name me one thing that Ukraine did to release the money. Nothing.” Never mind Trump’s explicit request for “a favor” or that the aid may have been released because skeptical National Security Council staff members started raising questions.

And instances of this extraordinarily strained attempt at excuse-making keep coming. In an interview with The Washington Post, Nikki Haley reasoned: “There was no heavy demand insisting that something had to happen. So it’s hard for me to understand where the whole impeachment situation is coming from, because what everybody’s up in arms about didn’t happen.” In the end, “the aid flowed.”

Good point, Sideshow Bob.

AD

The Sideshow Bob line is famous among fans of “The Simpsons,” now in its 31st season, but others may need some background. Sideshow Bob is a recurring character — tall and slim with huge, weird hair and voiced by actor Kelsey Grammer, whose upper-crust baritone gives the character a sophisticated elan. (Bob did go to Yale, after all.)

He was originally the TV sidekick to Krusty the Clown but got locked up when a scheme to frame Krusty for armed robbery was exposed by Bart Simpson (age 10). When released, Bob began a vendetta against Bart, trying to wreak vengeance on the boy — usually in one episode per season in the 1990s.

In the episode titled “Sideshow Bob Roberts” (I wish we had named it after a more memorable film than the mock-documentary “Bob Roberts”), scripted by Josh Weinstein and myself, Bob starts a grass-roots effort to get released from prison so he can run for mayor of Springfield, with the goal of tormenting the Simpson family. As part of this ultimately successful campaign, Bob calls in to the radio show of Rush Limbaugh-analogue Birch Barlow to decry the unfairness of being convicted of “attempted murder.” That’s when he mocks the crime as being comparable to “attempted chemistry.”

On the surface, the Sideshow Bob defense might sound reasonable to the majority of dolts in Springfield, U.S.A. After all, Robert Onderdonk Terwilliger (his full name) is one of the smartest men in town. No, they sure don’t give a Nobel Prize for “attempted chemistry” — and local oafs such as Barney Gumble and Cletus Spuckler probably fell hook, line and sinker for this faulty logic.

The citizens of Springfield are, as a whole, dummies. That’s because it is a comedy show. Sure, there are a few reasonable folks there (notably Lisa Simpson) to provide a jaundiced perspective on the hoi polloi, but a continuing theme of the series is that the citizenry is “nothing but a pack of fickle mush-heads,” in the words of their own Mayor Quimby, easily swayed by the lamest attempts at manipulation. Often, it’s right-wing manipulation — evidenced by the fact that they riot when presented with a statue of mild-mannered do-gooder Jimmy Carter, whom one resident decries as “history’s greatest monster.”

That the GOP has taken a cue from Sideshow Bob is shrewd, on one level. After all, Bob is wily enough to take advantage of widespread civic ignorance and quickly install himself as mayor in a rigged election. He’s savvy enough to know that in Springfield — and, perhaps, elsewhere in the United States? — a middle-aged white male wearing a tie and saying anything with some conviction will be believed by at least 55 percent of people, especially if they already want to believe it. (Sixty-five percent if he has a classy accent.)

Ultimately, though, Sideshow Bob’s lies are exposed by Bart and Lisa, in a plot we based on the Watergate scandal. (The kids meet a Deep Throat-style informant in a parking garage; a scene of them researching voting records echoes a shot from “All the President’s Men.” Yes, the parallels are getting uncanny.) In court, under intense questioning from the kids, Bob finally erupts in an outraged confession. Why did he deceive the town? “Because you need me, Springfield. Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a coldhearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals and rule you like a king. That’s why I did this: to protect you from yourselves.” (I won’t get into an analysis of whether that line fits the current situation.) What Bob doesn’t say is that he’s also a scheming, egomaniacal narcissist who literally cannot stop himself from committing crimes. (I won’t get into an analysis of that, either.)

It’s hard to believe that the Sideshow Bob defense of Trump will be long-lived, as it fails to stand up to even the slightest scrutiny. It is literally a joke. (Still, Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Tex.) felt obliged to stamp out any confusion during the impeachment hearing Wednesday. “Is attempted murder a crime?” he asked Ambassador William B. Taylor Jr. Laughing, Taylor responded: “Attempted murder is a crime.”)

Indeed, many in the GOP have pivoted to a new defense of the president: The latest argument is that famous corruption fighter Donald Trump just wanted to fight corruption wherever it may be found, with the assistance of his sidekick, famous corruption fighter Rudolph W. Giuliani. “Oh come on now, that’s too much. People won’t seriously fall for that,” Sideshow Bob might reply. And then, with an evil gleam in his eye: “ … Will they?

It's soooooooo smug, God now I remember why I don't bother going incognito to read wapo.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

colachute posted:

Who gives a poo poo that Hunter Biden has an Arkansas baby? Or maybe I should ask why I should give a poo poo?

I think it's kinda funny that while Hunter is under the harshest scrutiny of his life, he's still being a trailer park player.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My sister ascended up to White House Comms, in-laws are bougie black folks. Next week those two worlds get to collide!

Best of luck on your return to the Homeland null.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 21, 2019

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Smiling Jack posted:

You can try changing the subject or just nodding and smiling, but your blood pressure is probably gonna jump 100 points either way. But after I've drank a cup of Cuban coffee and contemplated things: have you considered not visiting your family?

I dunno, he said it has been 5 years. Gotta check back every now and again, if for no other reason than letting him know that his forever-post in SK was, on the whole, a good decision.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Fuckit, service is never pure. I got in cuz of family pressure and GI Bill, sister was in for the paycheck and escape from home, buddy was in so he could legally shoot people (but lol he was a supply troop).

I haven't met one pure service member doing it for the love of service. Hell even the crusty SMSgt was so he could tell at 20 year olds over their sideburns.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

colachute posted:

I signed up because I was too stupid for rehab.

My service was pure.

I stand corrected. Some service is pure.

Edit: I am reminded of my favorite SSgt. He was given the "go to jail or go military" choice. His one regret in life was not snatching Jah Rule's chain when he had the chance. My mentor then and inspiration to this day.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 23, 2019

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ah yes, word processing. I learned it all in 2004 on the industry standard program *checks notes* Correl Word Perfect.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Victor Vermis posted:

Cool , misogyny exposed. Well done, poster-comrade "That Works".

Broke: Women marrying the business man to get to the 1%
Woke: Men marrying the business woman to get to the 1%
Bespoke: Marrying the business man's failson/daughter for long term returns.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bitch, New York school district just hired a ~Career Councillor~ at a school for kids from K - 2.

In a Utopia world it would be the bombest job on Earth. The work day revolves around every kid in school gets a 15 minute talk with an adult who talks to you about whatever a kid wants to do. hell yeah yo to be an austronaut you gotta be like a scientists who flys jet planes to practice! In libsucc hell world he is telling 6 year olds to learn Excel and invest in a 401K and enlist in the military.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yes it's terrifying

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

bird cooch posted:

You would think that atleast in GIP folks would have learned better than to drink the Kool-Aid

I will never learn anything and I will NEVER stop posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pete Butt is the kinda officer who would tell you to invest in a Health Savings Account for tax purposes (cuz health care is free) at the safety brief in formation.

Would always, will always make the jackoff motion when he speaks.