Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think realistically no democrat will be able to get anything done, unless there is like people in the streets level support. Part of what moved me from warren to sanders is the argument that only sanders has a shot at getting people in the streets for that. (Also the democratic foreign policy blob hating sanders while not having a problem with warren)

We need to have continuous political agitation, because politics are continuous. Doorbelling and marching for issues even after winning elections.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that actual progressives/leftists will have to just pretend to be moderates and then ignore their constituents. It's what the GOP does to great effect with regard to loving over workers in favor of the mega-elite.

Most Republicans actively enjoy wealth inequality because they’re on the positive side of it. The struggling coal worker trump supporter is a small fraction of the party, and gets the focus because the well off libs who do all the writing and set all the narratives are most comfortable blaming the poor. Your median republican lives a comfortable life, well above that of the average American.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The high court in Bolivia that ruled term limits didn’t apply is popularly elected

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Tribunal_of_Justice_(Bolivia)

There’s no “typical strongman” stuff here. A legitimate court ruled term limits didn’t apply, and then he was popularly elected. And nationalizing industries is something every successful country has done at some point in its history.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 12, 2019

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the term limits came into effect during his first term and the supreme court ruled that first term didn't count toward his term limit.

It’s basically the exact same situation as governor Jerry Brown in California. I think we need to ask ourselves why we’re instinctively trying to “truth is in the middle” for the military deposing a popularly elected South American president whenever that president threatens international capital. We’ve been trained to see that as not allowed.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Related: this is funny

https://twitter.com/dragoneddied/status/1194267475023663104?s=21

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

A legitimate court, that overturned a popular referendum explicitly voting down another term for Morales?

That’s, uh, what courts do.

The OAS also said the real president of Venezuela was that guy who was not elected to anything and who’s coup attempt went nowhere when no one actually showed up for him. It reminds me of all those orgs that said the people of Iraq would love it if we invaded.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 12, 2019

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I wish all dictators got popularly elected in a manner that the independent judiciary supported. That would be great. By any measure, George W was more of a dictator than morales. I loving hate George W but he was not a dictator, despite becoming president after getting fewer votes and being installed by a court even less democratic than Bolivia

If a coup is justified in Bolivia in these circumstances then a coup is justifiable everywhere.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 12, 2019

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Who in this thread said a coup was justified? I missed it. Can you please quote them?

Going “well the truth is in the middle” or “he’s a bad hombre” has a very clear implication when the context is a coup. Doubly so when the truth is not actually in the middle.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

Since everyone's so happy to draw the comparison to Bush, would you still defend Trump if he called it a coup when the military asked him to step down in 2024?

Y... Yes? Is that supposed to be a tough one? Nothing has ever gotten better after a coup anywhere.

Edit: oh now I see what you're saying. If Trump is lawfully president after an independent judiciary says he can run again and he got elected? Sure, yeah, that means he's the president. Am I supposed to believe things get better when a group of generals storms the White House?

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 13, 2019

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

There's no evidence that's what's happening, the generals have asked him to resign to end the protests and he complied.

If the military asks the president to resign that's a coup. What else do you call it? No one elected the military.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

ded posted:

A coup sure. But it was also a highly illegal election.

Their version of the supreme court, which unlike ours is democratically elected, disagrees. Also even the pro-coup people aren't making the argument the president lost the election. The best they can do is mention irregularities. The president offered a new runoff election but the military forced him out anyway. The facts here are incredibly one sided.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

I mean, I call the attempt to run for a fourth presidential term, in violation of the constitution and in the face of massive popular opposition, an attempted coup. The military stepping in to restore order after weeks of violent protests is just that

If this opposition is "massively popular" then how come they didn't win the election and why did they need the military to storm the palace. People don't do coups because they have popular legitimate support. That's the whole point of getting the military to force out presidents.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

What do you think a coup is and why do you think those guys are in the palace.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

They're in the palace because they're police and they're securing a government building after the previous occupant resigned and fled the country

I've already said a coup is when a party acts outside the law in order to gain or hold on to power, as Morales was attempting to do by rigging the election

The Bolivian constitutional court said the term limit didn't apply, so nothing he did was outside the law. What is not legal is the military telling presidents to leave

Speaking of things that aren't legal

https://twitter.com/chrisbolivia/status/1194408394054090762?s=21

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

Ah, so the court also allowed him to manipulate the vote to avoid the runoff he likely would have lost

I'm fine, now that I understand

If he was going to lose the runoff then why did he agree to it. and then why did the military kick him out anyway.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

Unrelated, anyone know what's going on with the riots in Chile?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4zWhAkgbbb/?igshid=15qa487r6uvd0

Those lasers seem effective. I imagine that would play hell with a windshield or visor. I got a dazzler on my windshield once and even a lower power version of that would make it impossible to see. I saw those lasers used in HK footage too.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The police are killing protesters in Bolivia now, and there are reports the new "president" (leader of the opposition party who is no where near the legitimate line of secession) has authorized lethal force.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

hey lets see how this coup restoration of democracy is going

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1196413373333884928?s=20

Ah, but have you considered the fact that Morales was very popular, which is, somehow, bad? Got to break a few eggs to keep popular presidents and their popular political parties from power, by force. That's real democracy.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I wonder which state will put him in Congress first

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

For what it's worth, professional sportplayers tend to skew hella, hella libertarian. Setting aside the dudebro jock poo poo, a middling player would sign a $1m contract, of which ~$300k immediately goes to the taxman and ~$100k probably goes to the agent. That turns them a bit mentally goofy, getting only $600k of their $1m, plus all of the bullshit that sportowners like to pull to deny them that money if they get hurt. Make that paranoia exponential for the big-time players with big-time contracts.

The richest bunch tend to not give a gently caress and will randomly spout out nonsense because dammit, that bitch gonna get all my money in the divorce. Most have the good sense to shut up... but their brain tells them to start investing in wacky poo poo like bitcoin.

It's the same general story - money turns people libertarian/conservative in a hurry, then blend that with dudebro jock poo poo and you get an Aubrey Huff.

My hot take: Anyone who genuinely pulls themselves from poverty to riches with their own hard work and talents deserves to be a libertarian if they want. Not sure if that's Huff but it definitely is a lot of athletes.

I'll just keep laughing at the failsons working at a job daddy gave them who think they're being held back by the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Klob is extremely popular with the kind of people who shake hands with their state democratic governor and the media, and literally no one else. But DC is enough of a bubble that probably seems like everyone to those in it.