Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sorry this might be the wrong thread, but it's the only one I found about microscopes.

Are vintage microscopes any good? Mostly my son has displayed an interest and asked if we could get a microscope. Since I got brain problems I immediately looked at 2nd hand sites and for instance I found this vintage Reichert for 50€

10x 30x and 60x magnification, I think we'd like to watch some blood and stuff. 10x mag I dunno if I could use that for inspecting stuff I've machines, or cutting edges, feels like the wrong kind of scope for that though.

I dunno, maybe vintage microscopes are so far behind in development they are inferior in every way to the cheapest crap from aliexpress, or maybe it's an instance where buying quality 2nd hand over cheap new stuff is the right move?

e: A quick google says 400x minimum to see cells so probably not what I'm looking for for my son.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well if I read that note correctly on the 2nd read then the scope I show does have enough magnification for that, goes up to 600x.

But I get the impression said scope wasn't really a hit and a binocular one is recommended, and with a light (unknown if that model has a light).

When I was a kid I had a cheap microscope that did have a light and allowed me to see cells I remember. It's gone however.

e: Found a Swift Stereo Eighty locally, looking for more info about it atm. Seems it's a lower magnification scope. More suited to perhaps a shop for inspecting parts.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 22, 2023