Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

For objectives up to 20X I pile everything on a long Arca-Swiss plate. An articulated arm positions a two-axis stage with a binder clip holding the subject. The macro rail holds supports for the tube lens made from a +4 diopter close-up lens and M58 extensions lined with black flocking. There's a rotatable linear polarizer behind the objective and the strobes are covered with cross-polarizing sheet filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

That's a beautiful setup! I've seen similar table-mounted but not on a tripod before. Does that help with positioning?

Thanks! I stuck with the tripod because it allows tilting the camera while keeping the subject upright, and the ball head can clamp anywhere on the plate to keep it balanced.

jarlywarly posted:

Does the lighting moving with the rail not affect things for your stacks?

Moving lights with the camera seemed weird at first, but it works fine as long as they don't bump the subject. Maybe it even smooths out specular highlights a little.