Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hello thread

I have... a wide selection of pond and aquarium... stuff. I sampled some creeks when I was out in NC and keep fish outdoors, plus a small collection of daphnia to feed my smaller fish. I have all sorts of weird stuff living in water

I am a... die hard fan? of this channel, "Life in Jars?" he does all sorts of sealed ecosystems but also does weird stuff like.. . just leave a giant tupperware box full of water outside, and sees what happens, then puts it under the microscope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdJ86zahYOE&t=578s

Timestamp skips to where he just grabs a test tube of water and then throws it under a microsocope (skip ahead about ~1 minute)

Also while I'm on the subject, another channel, "Journey into the Microcosmos" has been putting out some A+++ quality microscopy footage :5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io731XY8fH8

Anyways, yeah, there seems to be an alarming number of student grade microscopes, seems like you could go buy scientific grade lenses and plug them in and get some good video out?

Any suggestions on what I need to accomplish to see stuff like rotifers (0.1–0.5 mm) ? What does a microscope creating video look like for the first video; and then what do I need to do to make stuff look like the second video :swoon: Scrubbing though that video looks like they are mostly rolling along at 100x and 200x but occasionally bump up to 600x and more rarely 400x

Scarodactyl posted:

Also I did a video zooming in on a golden sunstone rupee that I faceted.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I feel like microscopes are like guitars where you can spend $300 for a serviceable one, or $2500 for the one you should have spent in the first place

My heart says $300 but my gut feeling is I'm not going to have something serviceable for less than $450?