Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

man i went to acting school and if kovalev was acting there he should be teaching the loving class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

man i went to acting school and if kovalev was acting there he should be teaching the loving class

he wasnt acting but it was more of a im gonna drop my gloves and you go for the shot, its fine kinda thing

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

thehappyprince posted:

canelo is legit a top talent and a nice guy and golden boy have transpired to make him a villain in the eyes of boxing fans. so dumb

i agree. i have trouble enjoying his wins because of all the behind the scenes poo poo from GB

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Zyla posted:

he wasnt acting but it was more of a im gonna drop my gloves and you go for the shot, its fine kinda thing

He got clubbed by a big left hand before the right.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Zyla posted:

When you eat a big shot you drop your gloves sometimes

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

thehappyprince posted:

canelo is legit a top talent and a nice guy and golden boy have transpired to make him a villain in the eyes of boxing fans. so dumb

People don’t like Canelo? Since Mayweather “retired”, Canelo has been my fav fav. He just so much fun to watch and has a great attitude. Maybe people dislike him for how successful he was against GGG?

Anyway, huge win for Canelo. He’s the bomb.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Zyla posted:

he got hosed up by a shot and then canelo finished him. not everything in boxing is a conspiracy. kovalev is old.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

i truly believe that he got knocked the gently caress out.

i absolutely do not believe that he threw a single real punch in that fight, and that if he was throwing to the best of his ability, then the athletic commission should be investigated for gross negligence for failing to detect that kovalev lost both his arms in a freak accident and had them replace with jelly, and bubbles from a children's bubble bath formula.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Zyla posted:

you are a bad fight watcher. he got hit hard with a right on the ropes that caused him to stumble step. some infighting off the ropes. canelo catches him with a right hook behind the ear. another stumble step. then the left hook behind the ear cause the hands to drop and the right finishes it. please open your eyes.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

canelo vs andy ruiz is the fight to make now imo

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

i absolutely do not believe that he threw a single real punch in that fight, and that if he was throwing to the best of his ability, then the athletic commission should be investigated for gross negligence for failing to detect that kovalev lost both his arms in a freak accident and had them replace with jelly, and bubbles from a children's bubble bath formula.

have you heard of this innovative thing called strategy?

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
drat watching the replays that last punch was clean, i dont know much about the sweet science of boxing but that poo poo landed flush

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

KidDynamite posted:

have you heard of this innovative thing called strategy?

[said in a thick brooklyn accent into the ear of a giant eastern european man] the trick is, to never, ever hurt him

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Chris Mannix’s Canelo/Kovalev card was an embarrassment and the broadcast was humiliating for all involved; from the interminable Canelo bootlicking to the massive delay before the main event to the hyping of the Logan Paul fight. Gross.

I had Kovalev up 4 points at the time of the stoppage. Good for Canelo for getting the KO but Kovalev was clearly washed in terms of his punch resistance. Canelo will definitely be dropping back down; he can’t box with these 6’2 guys at all. Would be interesting to see if he goes back to 160 or if he settles at 168. Hard to even see that considering the 6’3 Callum Smith is the top dog of that weight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i kovalev up on the cards actually

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I had it a draw through ten, with a few rounds that could have gone either way. Incidentally two judges had Canelo up two and the third had it a draw.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

kovalev wasn’t loading up trying to take him out because he was clearly worried about counters and was trying to pace himself. his jab was winning him rounds so why would he risk it

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Incidentally two judges had Canelo up two and the third had it a draw.

Lol Jesus. These cards are written before the fight.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

The Ninth Layer posted:

I had it a draw through ten, with a few rounds that could have gone either way. Incidentally two judges had Canelo up two and the third had it a draw.

that third judge has a deathwish eh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

kovalev just called me on the phone and said he threw the fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

i kovalev up on the cards actually

i'm not going to gainsay you because i was only half watching the fight until the ninth round and it's entirely possible that he was pitter pattering his way to victory but from what i saw, i can say with absolute confidence that canelo has been hit harder by literally every opponent he has ever faced in his entire career including the fights at 138 which i've never seen.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

to be serious, in light of how the fight ended I can see why kovalev maybe wanted to point fight his way to victory

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

further, i think the gameplan of outpointing canelo in vegas has to be the most insane and incompetent strategy of all time. yes, i am going to tentatively outpoint the guy who got a judge to say he DREW WITH FLOYD MAYWEATHER, and got gifted both ggg decisions.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Lol Jesus. These cards are written before the fight.

Lot of close rouds imo, I had Kovalev up, but it's hard for me to say that 95-95 is a bad a scorecard, or even 96-4 Canelo really

Jump King fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 3, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

thankfully, with DAZN (tm) i get to watch the fight again tomorrow and double check

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Lot of close rouds imo, I had Kovalev up, but it's hard for me to say that 95-95 is a bad a scorecard, or even 96-4 Canelo

This wasn’t a particularly close fight prior to the stoppage; press row all had Kovalev up, some by 4-5 points. Canelo barely threw a punch until the 6th round.

Canelo has been in a slew of close fights and has gotten every benefit of the doubt possible on the judge’s cards. Press row had Kovalev up by several rounds here but the official judges have Canelo winning? Lol. Humiliating.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

This wasn’t a particularly close fight prior to the stoppage; press row all had Kovalev up, some by 4-5 points. Canelo barely threw a punch until the 6th round.

Canelo has been in a slew of close fights and has gotten every benefit of the doubt possible on the judge’s cards. Press row had Kovalev up by several rounds here but the official judges have Canelo winning? Lol. Humiliating.

no more or less humiliating than the ggg fights

press scores for the first fight:
ggg: 21
draw: 3
canelo: 1. i'll type that again. 1.

press scores for the second fight:
ggg: 33
draw: 16
canelo: 2

going into a fight with canelo planning to outpoint him is insane unless you're floyd mayweather jr. planning to outpoint canelo when you are twice his size, and when your defining feature is 'can punch people inside out' is beyond comprehension.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I mean, boxing is clearly corrupt and Canelo is the prime beneficiary of that currently. That’s not even up for debate.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I genuinely cannot score boxing rounds at all for the most part and I suspect 95% of people including judges cannot either and the vast majority that think they're in that 5% are delusional

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

i def think canleo gets good scorecards and i had kov up a few, but kov was throwing pitter patter shots with low efficiency while Canelo was picking his shots and landing heavy, it was genuinely a "what do you like?" fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

old.flv posted:

I genuinely cannot score boxing rounds at all for the most part and I suspect 95% of people including judges cannot either and the vast majority that think they're in that 5% are delusional

i can sort of see what you're saying.

in order to become a judge you have to go and do courses and poo poo where you learn the super secret art of watching a fight for 3 or 5 minutes and then deciding 'if i had to be one of those fighters, and experience that exact 3 or 5 minutes, who would i rather be?'

i honestly do think i can look at a fight and say for certain who i think is kicking more rear end, but i also acknowledge that it is a powerfully subjective thing in roughly 90% of cases.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I have never been so happy to not get up or stay up for a fight. They delayed the fight by over an hour and just broadcast the fighters chillin' ?!?

Please note, not my funko pops.

Fight was ok, great finish though. I don't really like the guy but I don' think that I can deny Canelo no.1 p4p any longer.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

madey posted:

I have never been so happy to not get up or stay up for a fight. They delayed the fight by over an hour and just broadcast the fighters chillin' ?!?

Please note, not my funko pops.

Fight was ok, great finish though. I don't really like the guy but I don' think that I can deny Canelo no.1 p4p any longer.

funny enough i said a couple of days ago that i'd put canelo at a solid number 4 position if he beat kovalev. in my mind, even if kovalev was slightly over the hill, the size difference is loving insane and he'd have to box really loving smart and survive some insanely hairy situations to get the w.

if kovalev hit a woman in california like he 'hit' canelo tonight, he'd be facing misdemeanour harassment charges instead of felony assault. he was hitting canelo like the experienced guys at the gym hit the guy who just joined and seems really nice during sparring, and according to people in this thread, canelo was dropping rounds to this pathetic attempt to harm him.

combining this weird farce with the two ggg 'wins' has me putting canelo solidly at number who gives a gently caress. it's such a god drat shame that everything around canelo stinks of corruption and sleaze, because he really, truly is a great fighter who is really fun to watch. he's just not the best pound for pound fighter in the world in my opinion. actually, i'll go further, he's not even in the discussion

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Canelo's camp and management played that perfectly, they saw the old fragile Kovalev get knocked around the ring by a crude Anthony Yarde and pounced on the opportunity. If I were them I'd target the stiff and overrated Callum Smith next to win a legit belt at 168.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Callum Smith may be stiff, but he’s massive and in his athletic prime. Bigger and tougher than Kovalev imo.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I can see how someone would have Kov up by 4 going into that 11th round. The fight I saw was Kovalev keeping Canelo at bay with his jab but mostly hitting his gloves, while Canelo picked his spots to land monster left hooks which mostly connected.

Punch stats had Kovalev out-throwing Canelo by double, but Canelo landing more and with a much higher efficiency. That's the fight I saw and scored.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Callum Smith may be stiff, but he’s massive and in his athletic prime. Bigger and tougher than Kovalev imo.

I'd be shocked if Canelo took a fight with Smith. The Kovalev fight was clearly a hand picked deal because he saw that Kovalev's punch resistance was gone and it was an easy belt at a higher weight class to acquire. Smith is much bigger and much better at this point than a 36 year old Kovalev.

If Canelo doesn't drop back down to 160 to fight GGG again, he probably drops to 168 and fights Caleb Plant or someone like that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly I think the fact that people are looking at top dudes across three divisions as credible opponents for Canelo puts him in P4P discussion

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just got done watching the fight (on a file where the audio was badly out of sync at times, but that didn't affect things much) and I think the thing I find so frustrating about watching Canelo is just his counterpunching style. He makes people respect his ability to dodge and hit back hard, so you get guys who are known for going in and obliterating people stay back and try and outbox him, which is just the dumbest thing of all time.

This is not a winning strategy, K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
WBO mandatory is Gilberto Ramirez. Mexican, 40-0, treading water for years with no big fight, just moved up to LHW. Guarantee that's next for Canelo.