Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

A team that lost to South Carolina is more deserving of a spot in the playoffs?

1-loss SEC champs absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

A team that lost to South Carolina is more deserving of a spot in the playoffs?

They put in Clemson the year they lost to 4-8 Syracuse

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I guess this thread getting hard over winning your conference doesn’t matter if we’re talking Bama and LSU. It just means more.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

vikingstrike posted:

I guess this thread getting hard over winning your conference doesn’t matter if we’re talking Bama and LSU. It just means more.

I’m a staunch believer that if you’re second in your division you’ve been eliminated from the discussion but that opinion isn’t popular around here.

It almost got me in a dust up with a broham Bama fan at the Aspen Belly Up in Jan 2012 during the rematch game.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a firm believer that the two best teams could be in the same division and we should use moon polls to seed the playoffs.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm a firm believer that the two best teams could be in the same division and we should use moon polls to seed the playoffs.

Being wrong is an American institution so congrats I guess.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Any time I see a picture of Scott Frost I think it's Todd from breaking bad

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

vikingstrike posted:

Didn't Ohio State get in without winning their division or am I mixing stuff up?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

JesustheDarkLord posted:

We had this and people got Mad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Didn't Ohio State get in without winning their division or am I mixing stuff up?

Yes, Penn State won the big ten and the Rose Bowl that year.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

It was Bama in 17-18, and they then won it all.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

LeeMajors posted:

I’m a staunch believer that if you’re second in your division you’ve been eliminated from the discussion but that opinion isn’t popular around here.

It almost got me in a dust up with a broham Bama fan at the Aspen Belly Up in Jan 2012 during the rematch game.

This is actually what I meant to say too. Division winner, not necessarily conference winner. But I guess it’s all pretty similar.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

vikingstrike posted:

This is actually what I meant to say too. Division winner, not necessarily conference winner. But I guess it’s all pretty similar.

Well the biggest (only?)examples of it have been Bama x2 who didn’t even play for the conference because they couldn’t even win the west lol

I was just getting more specific.

E: I guess Nebraska got in in 2001 and got loving massacred by Miami so that one counts too somehow.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
OU got in fresh off getting murdered by KState but that was also the weird split title year (I know LSU fans calm down)

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
"what if the two best teams in the country are in the same conference division"

well then I guess we have to arbitrarily change our metrics because frankly I don't like one of those teams, and,

Scionix fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 7, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
On the topic of undeserved natty trips: 2003 Oklahoma after getting loving pasted in the Big 12 Championship game by four TDs. :argh:

MourningView posted:

OU got in fresh off getting murdered by KState but that was also the weird split title year (I know LSU fans calm down)

Aww, beaten

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ed Orgeron actually being good now, especially where he is good, is one of my favorite college football things. As someone who doesn't really have to worry about their team competing for the SEC or whatever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Strobe posted:

On the topic of undeserved natty trips: 2003 Oklahoma after getting loving pasted in the Big 12 Championship game by four TDs. :argh:

Aww, beaten

Darren Sproles forever (this may accurately describe his football career)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

God he was magical. Also MJD. They were like little lightning fast bowling ball twins.

Scionix posted:

"what if the two best teams in the country are in the same conference division"

well then I guess we have to arbitrarily change our metrics because frankly I don't like one of those teams, and,

#2 in my division, #1 in the country: An Alabama Story

Watching Bama fans be the Inverse Schembechler Michigan Man Rose Bowl arguers is my favorite.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 7, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MourningView posted:

No loving joke.

I can't wait for Andy Reid's Home for Old Eagles Players to rehabilitate his rushing game at age 38.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

BAE OF PIGS posted:

poo poo, I can kind of see it.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

BAE OF PIGS posted:

makes sense because the football program sure is a meth heh heh heh

kill me

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

The best team is the one that wins all the games. The team that wins all the games should be champions. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

a god drat idiot posted:

The best team is the one that wins all the games. The team that wins all the games should be champions. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Tulane/Tennessee shared 98 national champs!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Yes and then they got shut out by Clemson and it was amazing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It would take Jimbo money or more for Arkansas to land Gus, wouldn’t it?

Edit: meant to post that in the coaching thread

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

vikingstrike posted:

As an LSU fan, if (when) we lose to Bama on Saturday, we're out in my opinion. Seems like a lot of people don't think that way, and it makes less than zero sense to me.

ninja edit: just like Bama should have been out in 2011 and no I'm never going to get over it

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

a god drat idiot posted:

princeton/rutgers co-national champs 1869

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

a god drat idiot posted:

Correct ucf is the national champions

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
A UNM defensive lineman died this week: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/11/05/najhe-flowers-new-mexico-lobos-player-dies-21-cause-unknown/4165181002/

As a result UNM and Air Force delayed their game until the 23rd of November.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Flashback to the greatest game of all time.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ive-years-later

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/MGoShoe/status/...stern-0-or-m00n

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Tulane/Tennessee shared 98 national champs!

Nobody can prove that Tulane wasn't the best team that year. Also nobody can prove that Tennessee wasn't the best. BCS was just a participation trophy.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Temple/USF tonight should be fun... right?

Buzz around USF has been super quiet this year and Temple has been unpredictable as fuuuuuck.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Scarf posted:

Temple/USF tonight should be fun... right?

Buzz around USF has been super quiet this year and Temple has been unpredictable as fuuuuuck.

it'll either be a great game, or Temple will absolutely blow USF's doors off. And I don't think that USF is the variable here. Mostly around Temple's QB play because he's crazy inconsistent but they don't have a very good running game this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
USF loving sucks, they've pretty much gotten smoked by anyone with a pulse

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This is the last game of the season where they won't be double-digit dogs.

MourningView posted:

USF loving sucks, they've pretty much gotten smoked by anyone with a pulse

Well, except for that win over weird-rear end (football-wise, this season) BYU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
USF lost to Georgia Tech this year and that's all you really need to know about them

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA / tOSU home and home for 2030/2031 which is a ways away but we are really beefing up our schedule for future OOC games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Pakled posted:

USF lost to Georgia Tech this year and that's all you really need to know about them

rude