Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah it's really amazing how you kinda channel the matrix in "you see 0s and Cs, but I see tree trunks and cats" after awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

thats actually super helpful, thank you

is there anyway we can befriend that cat or is it just a stray we cant interact with?

can we eat the cat? (i don't want to eat the cat btw i was just wondering, asking for a friend.)

unfortunately, like real life, dwarfs do not adopt cats, cats adopt dwarfs.

also we can do whatever we want with the cats, given the nature of the game. we could make a dish specifically out of it's entrails. or skin it and make a leather cat cloak.

that said, nobody harm the fort animals, please

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You just jinxed that cat into become the fixation of an artifact. That is going to become a cat bone bed now.... poor kitty.

If you aren't familiar sometimes dwarfs enter a state where they MUST gather a bunch of materials, some may be best thought of as evil (pets, other dwarfs, etc) if they fail to gather them after a year or so they go insane and murder the fort. If they do success they make a priceless artifact! And the resultant item is often of a material that is not normally legal for that item. So you can't tell a dwarf to make a cat bone bed, but one can decide it's going to get made and mutilate the cat. Of course if you catch it in time you can wall the dwarf off and have them starve to death instead.

sig by owlhawk911

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

pixaal posted:

You just jinxed that cat into become the fixation of an artifact. That is going to become a cat bone bed now.... poor kitty.

If you aren't familiar sometimes dwarfs enter a state where they MUST gather a bunch of materials, some may be best thought of as evil (pets, other dwarfs, etc) if they fail to gather them after a year or so they go insane and murder the fort. If they do success they make a priceless artifact! And the resultant item is often of a material that is not normally legal for that item. So you can't tell a dwarf to make a cat bone bed, but one can decide it's going to get made and mutilate the cat. Of course if you catch it in time you can wall the dwarf off and have them starve to death instead.

:stare:

every time someone does one of these threads i learn more crazy poo poo about this game

i definitely agree with:

FreshCutFries posted:

that said, nobody harm the fort animals, please

Hihohe

Mark my words, I will taste Kentucky Fried Cat by the end of this fort.

Twenty Four

FreshCutFries posted:

i think the most important thing when first learning dwarf fortress is to not let yourself get bogged down in details. there's a whole lot of information going on in the outside view, but like 3/4 of it can be condensed to "random plant life."

here's a comparison shot with stonesense:

the not-plantlife bits are basically anything not colored green, blue, or green/blue adjacent. all the logs should be clear, but here's a brief overview of the rest:

I won't go as far as to say I have it all figured out, but now that map makes a fair amount more sense then just a pile of symbols, thank you!

Who What Now

by Azathoth

FreshCutFries posted:

Who What Now is the lucky dwarf with a "Decent Bedroom" instead of a boring old "Bedroom"

As befitting of my vital role of "ax holder".

So do you use quantum stockpiles to get rid of trash or do you do it the legit way?

Also if you have cats at some point it's almost necessary to start a kitten harvesting industry just to keep your computer from combusting.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 10, 2019

FreshCutFries

Who What Now posted:

So do you use quantum stockpiles to get rid of trash or do you do it the legit way?

i've never had a need to do it any way but the "legit" one

Who What Now posted:

Also if you have cats at some point it's almost necessary to start a kitten harvesting industry just to keep your computer from combusting.

never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Facebook Aunt

wiggle wiggle

Who What Now posted:

As befitting of my vital role of "ax holder".

You can just neuter the cats to prevent explosions.

FreshCutFries

Facebook Aunt posted:

NEVER!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FreshCutFries

i brought male and female kittens, puppies, and bunnies for a reason damnit

Who What Now

by Azathoth

FreshCutFries posted:

i've never had a need to do it any way but the "legit" one

It saves so much space, tho!

Facebook Aunt posted:

You can neuter cats? When was that added?

Facebook Aunt

wiggle wiggle

Who What Now posted:

You can neuter cats? When was that added?

You've been able to castrate male animals for a while at the butcher shop. Not females tho, so if a tomcat shows up with an immigrant and you don't notice you can still get surprise kittens.

FreshCutFries

first thing's first. we need to get that masterpiece bed into preservation asap. the fort is still small, so security will just be a locked door for now.

areas for underground farms and a dining/kitchen have been dug out as well. i didn't get a shot of the empty farm area, so you'll just have to trust that the farms you see later didn't appear out of the aether.

we added some more workshops: a farmers workshop so we can extract seeds from those whip vines, a craftsdwarfs shop so we can start getting some exportable goods for the coming merchant caravan next season, and a third workshop that's none of your business!!!

we're also running low on stone, and i want to find some more gold veins, so exploratory mining has begun below the bedrooms. i hope the distant sound of pickaxes is soothing to everyone.

and then a surprise!

i didn't expect a migrant wave until the merchant caravan saw how amazing our cuddly society was shaping up to be, but i guess all that drunken shouting we did as we left town made an impression on people. here's our new friends:

of course, this means we have to expand the bedroom area. not for the migrants. for all the masterpiece beds death sext is about to make.

here's the finished dining area with annotations

and that was all for summer!
the first year in dwarf fortress is generally either a complete poo poo show or very uneventful, so bear with us here. here's an overview of the current fort, from top to bottom:

we've made a small dent in all the logs laying around outside, but we still have a way to go. we've also moved almost all the crap we brought with us underground.

here's the finished underground farm area. the top plot is for plump helmets (mushrooms for brewing) and the bottom plot is for pig tails (for rope, thread, etc.)

the dining area again

the workshops with a new stockpile to the north to store any finished goods

the finished bedrooms

and, finally, the current status of our exploratory mining

Twenty Four

It might seem simple, but seeing a little dwarf with my name running around doing stuff makes me happy.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
is that masterwork chair going to be safely placed in the locked room with the bed?

and also:

Twenty Four posted:

It might seem simple, but seeing a little dwarf with my name running around doing stuff makes me happy.

nut

*remains in bed throughout the summer, only leaving when my shadow no longer scares me*

Hihohe

we have too many fishery workers. Let me be a head cuddler or an engraver or anything other than working with fish. its undwarf-like.

corgski

Silly goose, you're here forever.

aw yiss im gonna make the best mushroom wine :catdrugs:

thank 2 blaise rascal for a cozy sig

Heather Papps

hello friend

okay so i am here now but also what tileset are you using? the main reason i never played df seriously is that i get it, ascii is cool and retro but

well

dude it's like 2026 gimme a tileset, ok?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Who What Now

by Azathoth
You know the masterpiece furniture could never been made if I had never cut down the trees so in a way I made them.

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

is that masterwork chair going to be safely placed in the locked room with the bed?

and also:

pff, chairs are no beds

Hihohe posted:

we have too many fishery workers. Let me be a head cuddler or an engraver or anything other than working with fish. its undwarf-like.

4 out of 6 migrants were fisherman for some reason lol

Heather Papps posted:

okay so i am here now but also what tileset are you using? the main reason i never played df seriously is that i get it, ascii is cool and retro but

well

dude it's like 2026 gimme a tileset, ok?

i'm using phoebus, which should be the default tile set if you download the pack i linked under my op!

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

FreshCutFries posted:

pff, chairs are no beds
I would agree based on the fact that bed looks like a bed, but chair has an h and h looks like a chair

Checkmate

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbb

Twenty Four

FreshCutFries posted:

4 out of 6 migrants were fisherman for some reason lol

Is a fishery worker different then a fisherman? My dwarf said fisherdwarf but all the new ones say fishery worker.

e: like in my mind one would catch the fish and the others would gut, prepare, can, etc. but that's just from the names and what I know about commercial fishing and not the game

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 11, 2019

Hihohe

yeah in game a fishery worker auto prepares fish at the fishery building. For some reason you always get a lot in DF

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
Ok I generated a world, now what do I do?

Who What Now

by Azathoth
Pick a good looking spot and send some drunks to go die in the wilderness.

Hihohe

super mario batali posted:

Ok I generated a world, now what do I do?

Yeah just pick a spot to die in. if you got more questions take them to this thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616403&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

And i know that i wouldnt have learned this game without the wiki
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/

the yeti

memento disco

please oh please dwarf me!

I can’t play df for poo poo but successions games are :allears:

google THIS

All right, I'm in, I would like to be a dwarf and hate rain with an undying passion as well. Is that a typical dwarf trait or did we just happen to roll a bunch of hydrophobes?

Heather Papps

hello friend

i've downloaded the zip and i think i'm going to give this game another crack, but i'd also love to be a dwarf or something, maybe the cat

google THIS

google THIS posted:

All right, I'm in, I would like to be a dwarf and hate rain with an undying passion as well. Is that a typical dwarf trait or did we just happen to roll a bunch of hydrophobes?

...or was it just raining that day? I know literally nothing about this game and at first glance figured the quotes at the top of those character profiles were their all-defining catchphrase.

Heather Papps

hello friend

they seemed like introductory phrases, less then mantra. in the description textdump it explains that during their trek to the promised land they got caught in a rainstorm, but the level of detail in this tileset is insane already and animating rainfall would be a hat on top of a factory that makes hats

google THIS

I do have to appreciate that "extremely rich detailed open world game" always translates in practice to something like "deranged lunatics shoveling raw flour into their gaping maws" even before adding mechanics intended to turn them into deranged lunatics.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
a hat on top of a factory would be awesome, tho

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goons Are Gifts

google THIS posted:

I do have to appreciate that "extremely rich detailed open world game" always translates in practice to something like "deranged lunatics shoveling raw flour into their gaping maws" even before adding mechanics intended to turn them into deranged lunatics.

If you ever checked out the goon server rules in place for the notably open world game space station 13 you know exactly why this is a thing.

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
I tried to embark and the game crashed.

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

Goons Are Great posted:

If you ever checked out the goon server rules in place for the notably open world game space station 13 you know exactly why this is a thing.

Space Station 13 is pure gold

google THIS

super mario batali posted:

I tried to embark and the game crashed.

I'm pretty new to all of this but I think you did it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
Ok, this time it loaded. I've picked a spot to die. Am I dead yet?