Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queef anxiety

yeah
This is amazing and I wholeheartedly wish to be on the next wave of brave migrations. You're doing gods work

e: if that's OK :ohdear:

e2: any news on DF steam release? 2025?

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

queef anxiety posted:

This is amazing and I wholeheartedly wish to be on the next wave of brave migrations. You're doing gods work

e: if that's OK :ohdear:

e2: any news on DF steam release? 2025?

i am actively excited to bring "queef anxiety" to the fort

queef anxiety

yeah
Yesssssss. I'm sure a healthy supplement of omega-3 and regular kegal exercises will keep me in a good head space for whatever intrepid mining adventure I am needed for.

Twenty Four

FreshCutFries posted:

i am actively excited to bring "queef anxiety" to the fort

lol

google THIS

Within the last season, she felt anxious due to queefing.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
is this still going? i can take next year if noone else is up for it yet!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FreshCutFries

Nosfereefer posted:

yup! just been busy this week. I'm hoping to have my year finished up this weekend and I can send it off to you. I'm pretty sure nobody else has volunteered for year two yet.

Heather Papps

hello friend

FreshCutFries posted:

yup! just been busy this week. I'm hoping to have my year finished up this weekend and I can send it off to you. I'm pretty sure nobody else has volunteered for year two yet.

i volunteer for 3rd year cause uh i still haven't extracted that compressed file.
maybe 4?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Tijuana-A-Go-Go

Doggles Aficionado

Hey can I volunteer to be dwarfed?

queef anxiety

yeah
just caught up on the last DF thread good grief those poor rhinos

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
chillheads did nothing wrong imho, those rinhos would have done the same to us

nut

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Hey can I volunteer to be dwarfed?

i'm seconding the dog w gogs

queef anxiety

yeah

Nosfereefer posted:

chillheads did nothing wrong imho, those rinhos would have done the same to us

hopefully with sharper bolts

FreshCutFries

buhh. i finished my year and have about 80 screenshots to sort through and write up. i'm going to bed.

FreshCutFries

Nosfereefer posted:

let me know if you want the fort file before the updates, and i'll pm it to you

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
:doit:

Twenty Four

dorf

Korean Boomhauer
i dont know if i can participate in the succession but i can deffos be dorf'd

FreshCutFries

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i dont know if i can participate in the succession but i can deffos be dorf'd

oh whoops. must've misunderstood. if i put anyone else in the wrong spot or missed you, please let me know.

FreshCutFries

i've been keeping details to a minimum to ease people into dwarf fortress as much as possible, but i want to start digging in a bit more to really show off how batshit insane this game is. you might've already gotten a hint with the stuff i posted about the world in the first update. in dwarf fortress, you generate an entire fantasy world from scratch, complete with generated history between civilizations and other major players in the world of the Cyclopean Dimension. there's about 500 years worth of simulated history to explore that i haven't dug into, but the three civilizations of our world were the survivors from like, 15-ish, at world gen. the others were killed off by warfare or powerful beasts or whatever.

with that said, i want to transition to why i bring this up: we need to stop cooking plump helmets

in a sane videogame this would either not be a problem or it would be something relatively simple to solve, and maybe there's a simple solution to this in dwarf fortress as well, but if your going to play dwarf fortress, you should loving PLAY dwarf fortress, so i'm going to teach you about custom stockpiles and burrows, which is how i solved this little debacle.

that's the stock pile screen to the right in the shot above. you'll see a big list of stockpile types we have to choose from. in a sane video game these would be our only options, but in dwarf fortress we have custom stockpiles at our disposal

ok. custom stock pile settings. the left-most column is choosing a broad category, with each of those options having a sub-category (the middle column) with each sub-category tending to contain multiple pages worth of items (one page is displayed in the right column).

if you look back at the first shot, you'll see our kitchen/brewery set up, and i'll try to explain the problem we're faced with. a brewer takes some plants and an empty barrel and turns them into a barrel of alcohol and a pile of the plant's seeds. a kitchen takes 2-4 edible things and turns them into a meal. plants are, regrettably, edible, and if you notice, the kitchen does NOT give you seeds from the plants you use. SO, my original plan of having a shared stockpile was not well thought out, because the cook just loving goes apeshit for the plant i wanted to use for brewing, plump helmets, and cooks with them constantly, slowly chipping away at our ability to continue producing plump helmets.

so how do you fix this?

well, if you put yourself in the shoes of a dwarf: if you have two ingredients to choose from, with one being close to you and the other being further away, you would probably grab the closer one, right?

so lets shuffle around our food stockpile by splitting it into two custom stockpiles.

the stock pile under the brewery will hold brewable plants (except whip vines and pig tails, which we want to use for flour and thread, respectively).

and the stock pile under the kitchen will hold all other food types.

should be good.

nope. the cook STILL walks all the way over to the brewer's plant barrel and pulls plump helmets out of it. so we need a step two that utilizes an even more advanced feature: burrows.

burrows are essentially a way to assign dwarves an area to work in. they're a pretty nuanced feature, that i don't fully understand tbh, but luckily one of the most basic use cases for them is what we need.

let's also use this moment to point out how byzantine df's interface can be. especially with the advanced, late stage features, like burrows.

see above. you open the burrow menu and are faced with the screen shown above. you press "a" to add a new burrow. this adds a new item to the list. then you need to press enter to "define the burrow." this brings you to a sub-menu:

you can do a bunch of things here, but i just want to define it right now.

then you go back to the main burrow menu and press c to assign someone to it.

now, what we have done, is told a dwarf to only work in this assigned area. but, we're not done yet! no way. because, what we actually told the dwarf was to only take jobs from this area. they will still go outside of the area to gather anything they need for that job. if we want to make this self-contained, we need to make sure we press w at the main burrow menu to restrict the dwarf entirely to the burrow.

BUT if you recall, we only told the brewer's stock pile to store plants. we're now missing an ingredient: barrels. so back to the custom stockpile screen.

if you leave things as i show in that shot, no barrels will ever be put into your stock pile. that's because the furniture subsection of the custom stockpile menu of the stockpile settings is handled differently than the other subsections of the custom stockpile menu of the stock pile settings. you need to not only tell it to store the barrel "type," you need to also specify that yes, you can store barrels of any material. if you leave the materials section blank, the dwarfs will go: "ok, you want barrels, but you DON'T want the barrels to be made of anything???" and ignore the order.

dwarf fortress!

i complain, but this is still legit one of my favorite games, ever.

FreshCutFries fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 17, 2019

FreshCutFries

update 2 of fall, and we're still on the first day :iit:

we're approaching winter, so i want to have a good idea about what our stocks are looking like. to do that we'll need to assign someone to be a record keeper, and i figure who better than our mod alnilam? this is totally an artistic choice and not because he's the best record keeper.

i think we have enough fodder for crazy df details, so i'm going to skip over a lot of what nobles are. just know that they basically are the bureaucrats of the fort, and have special requirements to work.

we can see here that alnilam needs an office. luvcow is fine just chilling, but we'll build him one too.

we have a ton of wood laying around, and i like the idea of a non-standard fort that's partly above ground, so let's make some log cabins for our offices.

you can see above that i've started designating some walls (and staircases because of dumbness, lol). we also need to build a wooden floor (still haven't noticed that i designated staircases, despite them CLEARLY being staircases, btw):

and, it rains a lot here, so a roof is probably useful. i haven't shown off the upper z-levels outdoors. you'll notice that the tree trunks are actually attached to branches! and leaves! like trees!

gently caress:

okay whatever. rain won't kill them.

after finally noticing that stairs don't make good walls, here's our finished, roofless (open-air for optimists) cabins:

this is a non-standard setup for dwarven nobles, but i still want to respect our dwarven heritage, so let's have all the furniture be stone:

you'll also notice i've queued up a quern. this is to start grinding whip vines for our flour industry.

while we were waiting for the mason to finish that, excitement!

unfortunately, we don't have a road, so their wagons will have to stay put, but they'll bring whatever they can by hand. also, as that helpful note reminds us, we need to build a trade depot for them, which requires a new skill.

(i always bring an architect at embark for this)

while we're waiting for that to finish up, our 24/100 linguistics and 19/100 empathy leader, luvcow (also our new trader!), meets with the liaison from the dwarfland.

he brings us news of what's going on in the world, so let's check things out. we still alone in the middle of nowhere?

oh. ok. it says they're at peace, but i don't trust the goblins especially. good thing my term is only a year!

there's so many pointless screens in these meetings

above, we can make requests for the merchants to prioritize next year. i take a look at our stocks and notice something:

i brought a male and female kitten specifically to fill the fort with cats, but it turns out one of them is asexual (or neutered? i'm not sure which that symbol refers to actually). anyways, i told them female cats are our top priority:

another vital screen

an even more vital screen

here's what they would like from US, if nosfereefer wants to focus on any of these

"Buhh, your breath smell," responds luvcow

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
this is amazing thank you

i feel like my dwarf expedition leader is lacking in leader skills so i hope luvcow dwarf doesn't gently caress this all up

:pray:

but i know luvcow dwarf will

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

this is amazing thank you

i feel like my dwarf expedition leader is lacking in leader skills so i hope luvcow dwarf doesn't gently caress this all up

:pray:

but i know luvcow dwarf will

luvcow is also a very good consoler, and I've already noticed a few dwarfs thinking that they felt better after talking to him.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FreshCutFries posted:

luvcow is also a very good consoler, and I've already noticed a few dwarfs thinking that they felt better after talking to him.

lets drink some alcohol because i require it to make it through the day

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

lets drink some alcohol because i require it to make it through the day

a good strategy lol

Who What Now

by Azathoth
Did DorfFort remove the option of designating which foods are for cooking and which are for brewing in the stocks menu?

sebmojo

Legit Cyberpunk

I would like to be dwarfed as mojangles plz

FreshCutFries

Who What Now posted:

Did DorfFort remove the option of designating which foods are for cooking and which are for brewing in the stocks menu?

I figured there might be an easier way I didn't know about but I like complaining

FreshCutFries

Merchants have arrived and are unloading their goods.

Merchants have arrived and are unloading their goods.

i had Stoner Sloth crafting, but he doubled as our mason, so he didn't get too much done to export. it's something though!

on the right up there are our exports. the left is the merchant inventory. we need bags because i haven't had time to touch the cloth industry yet, so i buy a bunch of those and leave the merchants with a good profit. idk if it's even still a thing, but that used to make migrants more likely to come to the fort.

okay, now that the merchants are packing up, lets get back to the offices

never mind!

there's nine dwarfs in this wave, which officially exhausted our dwarfing volunteers at the time. last thread, we just started pulling from random BYOB posters when we ran out, and i started doing this with alnilam, but i figured i'd ask if anyone had any other ideas before going full tilt.

here's the ones that were dwarfed:

i...might need to address this goblet situation.

we're gonna need to expand the bedrooms, and then again the next wave, so i just do a double expansion now:

you might notice that my designations now appear as 1's. this is the priority system that lets me tell Piso Mojado and luvcow, hey, i know i told you to endlessly mine in straight lines downstairs, but come do this before working on that more.

ok, now back to the offices! Stoner Sloth finished up the furnishing so let's put those in our modern (roofless) offices:

gently caress!!!!!!!!!

it's okay. this idea is salvageable. i want office cabins god dammit.

perfect

you can see alnilam in the last shot busy at work recording our stocks, so we can finally get an idea where we're at.

the breakdown is misleading. most of that 497 "Other" is fish. so...basically, we're good on fish.

i decide this means we can upgrade the fort meals from easy (biscuits) to fine (stew)

i also expand the workshop area to have a fishery, quern, and clothier's shop.

the fishery will let us start cleaning our raw fish. manero has apparently been throwing entire fish, bones and head and tail included, in his fish/muck root biscuits.

the quern will let us start grinding our whip vines into flour, which will also give us whip vine seeds so we can stop gathering them. this process uses up a bag every time, and we run through the ones we bought from the merchants real quick, so the clothier's shop is the first step in our cloth, well bag, industry.

Nosfereefer

FreshCutFries posted:

let me know if you want the fort file before the updates, and i'll pm it to you

dont have pm, maybe you can just post it in the thread?

Nosfereefer

good progress on the fort! im pretty sure there's an easier way to keep the cook from frying all our mushrooms, but tbqh i like your method better

queef anxiety

yeah
how is the DF character creator always so eerily accurate? Great update so far, liking the idea of a dwarf furtively scrawling supply info on a stone while getting rained on.

i had a play around with the real deal but i feel like I need to watch this game for hours just to parse the ascii/tilesets appropriately.

e: dad goatse so what

google THIS

Kinda picturing the cook as obsessed with cooking the mushrooms and constantly looking for loopholes in all the rules imposed upon him.

Facebook Aunt

wiggle wiggle

google THIS posted:

Kinda picturing the cook as obsessed with cooking the mushrooms and constantly looking for loopholes in all the rules imposed upon him.

Cooks are jerks who will happily destroy civilization through cooking. They will cook all your mushrooms. They will cook all your seeds. They will even cook all the booze.

The the Status (z) screen, Kitchen submenu you can tell them not to cook mushrooms, seeds, or booze -- but you know they still want to. Jerks.

FreshCutFries

if you were perceptive, you might have noticed a red C in the last update. this is the indicator that combat occurred! normally this just means a fisherdwarf got too close to an alligator or something and was chased away, but let's make sure everything's fine.

punchline

turns out one of the puppies i brought with me grew into a rambunctious young dog. it went to check out the local dingo-people (imagine the smells!), and a dingo-woman tried to strike it! that's uncalled for, but i will admit that the dog's response seems to be overkill.

also grats on that Planter job, Solon. not sure why it's in the combat logs!

that log has our first taste of the classic dwarf fortress strategy of grabbing someones toe (singular) and doing jujitsu on them (this is not a joke)

the dog and the dingo-woman that started it all eventually break away from the group. the dingo-woman desperately tried to scramble away, but the dog was literally nipping at her heels the entire time.

eventually they both came to a stop, and just...went home. maybe they were playing? idk...canine things.

ok, let's see. winter was pretty uneventful. especially compared to fall. i spent most of it tying up the loose ends from my year. i re-organized our stockpile in the crafts area and realized something.

we have too much goddamn wood

barrels are made of wood and are also something that we'll need lots of, so that sounds like a good idea.

the normal workshop menu only lets you queue up so many items, so i appointed Resting Lich Face as the official Cuddleboat Manager. don't worry, i gave him a log cabin.

like all things dwarf fortress the manager is complicated. basically, they let you designate work orders, saying that you just want say, 50 barrels, and then the manager actually figures out how to make that happen for you. it's a nice feature!

while waiting for that and some other stuff to be finished, something happens!!!

occasionally and whether natural or supernatural, a dwarf will become obsessed with making a great creation. they will toss out whoever is using a workshop and claim it for themselves until the project is finished. in this case, and luckily for us, nut was possessed by an entity that loves our fort's wood, so that's all nut needed to complete this. if a dwarf isn't able to collect the ingredients they need, they are not too happy about that!!

nothing exciting in the text, but i'm sure it's very nice

meanwhile, our other dog is meeting the locals now:

i also stopped our fisherdwarfs from fishing and put them all on cleaning duty, complete with tri-fisheries. the one cleaner had a stupid big backlog and they couldn't keep up with the new influx, so i want to get this taken care of before we keep catching fish.

addendum: i remembered that i also finished setting up our bag and flour industry. the only problem is we're out of pig tails and you can't grow them until summer i think. there's probably a lot of things that are going to need to be done before the industries can be left alone, something i wanted to avoid before my turn ended, but iirc nosfereefer is an old hat to dwarf fortress, so i'm sure they'll do great.

and that's it for my year!!!! here's a rundown of the fort:

FreshCutFries fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 18, 2019

FreshCutFries

i THINK the only thing you need is the region folder for these things. someone with better memory than me from last time remind me if i'm wrong.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=114GuSmOpHym8G9od9nQpoBet_4Ggr91J

nosfereefer is up next and i'm excited to see where they take things! i'm also going to throw my name in the dwarf list now that my turn is done. i was going to hold off on the players, but it might be a long wait for some, so i'm going to toss all the players in the list as well.

oh yeah! there's a to be dwarfed list in my op! i'll do my best to keep it up to date so that info can be consolidated there.

FreshCutFries

ps: i never made any goblets

queef anxiety

yeah

FreshCutFries posted:

ps: i never made any goblets

:argh:

nut

cool i made grandma's bling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

FreshCutFries posted:

i THINK the only thing you need is the region folder for these things. someone with better memory than me from last time remind me if i'm wrong.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=114GuSmOpHym8G9od9nQpoBet_4Ggr91J

nosfereefer is up next and i'm excited to see where they take things! i'm also going to throw my name in the dwarf list now that my turn is done. i was going to hold off on the players, but it might be a long wait for some, so i'm going to toss all the players in the list as well.

oh yeah! there's a to be dwarfed list in my op! i'll do my best to keep it up to date so that info can be consolidated there.

gonna fire this baby up tomorrow!