Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshCutFries

gently caress it. let's just do this. dwarf fortress games rule and if you weren't around for the last one a couple years ago you can skim it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801661

the game is obtuse as hell, but it's worth it to learn. all skill levels are welcome. if you want to do a year of a bumbling mess, go for it. that's what makes things fun!

i'll wait to get things started until we have at least a few players.

To Be Dwarfed:

FreshCutFries fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

here's the direct link to the version of the game i'm going to be using for windows people:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/download.php?id=7622&f=PeridexisErrant%27s+Starter+Pack+0.44.12-r08.zip

that's a pack that allows some easy customization of the base game. i'm leaving everything under "gameplay options" on their defaults, so you will have to do that as well. feel free to play with any other options. if you need help finding another os version of it, let me know.

FreshCutFries

i started generating a world when i made this thread. i set all the options to "very high" out of curiosity and it's still going lol.

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

the last thread was amazing to watch so i can't thank you enough for starting this one. loved when mr. willsauce inadvertently destroyed everything (please come back willsauce...)

:f5:

his first year was my favorite part of the thread

FreshCutFries

Heather Papps posted:

if i were not going to the forest for a week i'd be in so hard this thread better still be up when i intermittently check byob from the library or my grammas house

tbh, i'd be surprised if we hit your turn before a week, if you're interested in playing. these threads are marathons.

FreshCutFries

I was going to work on this tonight but life is getting in the way. we have more than enough interest so I'll try to get things started as soon as I can

FreshCutFries

Nosfereefer posted:

big difference from last time is that tantrum spirals are back with vengeance, so should be interesting!

I'm extra excited now.

It's also nice that we have an established version this time so dfhack, dwarf therapist, etc. are actually usable. Managing even midsized forts without dwarf therapist suuuuucks

FreshCutFries

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I'm serious, though, I love this game with my whole heart, but I an so bad at it that I'm afraid I'll run the whole thing

then all we be according to plan :twisted:

FreshCutFries

I have free time tonight and am making this post so I don't get high and play outer worlds instead of working on this

FreshCutFries

nut posted:

i haven't done anything but i htink i might be int he game i'm eating a sandwich does the game have sandwich if so im in

sandwiches are a glaring omission in the game

if they were in the game, you wouldn't get like sandwiches you expect. no cubans or reubens or whatever. it would be some procedurally generated hellwich with pickles instead of bread and a miracle whip vapor cloud surrounding it.

the sandwich menaces with toothpicks

FreshCutFries

welcome to Setheredefini, The Cyclopean Dimension

this is a savage land, with countless beasts. many civilizations rose and died to the Cyclopean Mistress. but three. three have thrived.

the elves to the west

the goblins to the north

and the dwarves to the south

omg we need to meet these kiwi men.

ANYWAYS. in this dwarf society exists a group of friends. this group calls themselves...The Plank of Touching.

MEET THE PLANK OF TOUCHING

one day, after a hard day of dwarfing out or whatever the gently caress, the plank gathered at their favorite establishment, and a discussion began. the topic was the same as it always was: cuddling. specifically the lack of it in The Machine of Whirling. so they decide to hell with it. to hell with ALL of it. let's take a boat across the ocean to the massive, germany sized marshland over there, and set up a safe haven for cuddlers everywhere. all cuddlers are welcome.

Hdgfthr th Crystlln G was always my favorite brk.

they heard tales of how joyous the marsh is :)

the no doubt epic and lengthy (and in no way yakety sax-esque) tale of Cuddleboat begins

FreshCutFries

pixaal posted:

What is someone that wants to make art but doesn't care for it?

a narcissist :p

FreshCutFries

alright, we're in the middle of a marsh and ate most of our supplies on the way here. things need to be done before we can start relaxing. Who What Now starts cutting down trees in our area to clear it out and you know, wood is always nice. Twenty Four is an accomplished fisherman and begins to build up our food stocks with fish from the nearby brk.

also, you know what, we've lived in mountains our entire lives. i want to see the sky! the sun! it was so novel on the way here. we shouldn't even mine at all here!

suddenly i am of a different mind. luvcow and piso have begun digging down for a stone layer

luckily, they only had to go down a few levels and dug out some space for bedrooms

and we'll need some space for workshops to actually put things in those rooms. we'll put this a couple floors up. i imagine kneeling on clay while crafting would be better than stone.

let's check on how Who What Now is doing with those trees. we good on wood?

we're good on wood.

our carpenter and mason, death sext and Stoner Slot respectively, start to work on beds and doors, and death sext's first bed, ever, is a masterpiece!

here's the workshop area in action. i've designated a bigger area to be dug out to move the stockpiles to here.

and here's our bedrooms after they've been furnished. i'm going to occasionally put a stonesense screenshot to help anyone having trouble with visualizing the df visuals. please let me know if i can help anyone out with reading these.

also, i noticed, that we have whip vines growing around! what are whip vines? let's see what the experts over at the dwarf fortress wiki have to say:

fascinating

in addition, whip vines make the most expensive flour in the game, which will make dwarfs crazy happy when they eat it. not cook with it. the stuff is too valuable. you can't truly appreciate it unless you're just scooping big handfuls in your mouth.

anyways, nut is just sitting on her butt, so she makes a career shift to get some whip vine seeds

after spending some time with nut gathering, and death sext and Stoner Sloth furnishing the bedrooms more, i had nut build a farm plot for the first step in our flour industry

and surprise!

that's it for spring.

FreshCutFries

pixaal posted:

Who got the bed anyway?

Who What Now is the lucky dwarf with a "Decent Bedroom" instead of a boring old "Bedroom"

death sext posted:

wow I created a great work of art right out the gate. Look at that bed.

no you can't sleep in it its just for looking at

vanisher posted:

A comfy bed behind velvet ropes

but i really want to use our empty eighth room for this purpose now lol

FreshCutFries

vanisher posted:

Loving the 3d model, I'll have to figure out how to do that

are you aware of dfhack? because you just need to type stonesense in the dfhack console.

FreshCutFries

Twenty Four posted:

The map of our base mostly makes sense to me but the outside view of the land is a bit daunting with my lack of knowledge of this game.

i think the most important thing when first learning dwarf fortress is to not let yourself get bogged down in details. there's a whole lot of information going on in the outside view, but like 3/4 of it can be condensed to "random plant life."

here's a comparison shot with stonesense:

the not-plantlife bits are basically anything not colored green, blue, or green/blue adjacent. all the logs should be clear, but here's a brief overview of the rest:

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

thats actually super helpful, thank you

is there anyway we can befriend that cat or is it just a stray we cant interact with?

can we eat the cat? (i don't want to eat the cat btw i was just wondering, asking for a friend.)

unfortunately, like real life, dwarfs do not adopt cats, cats adopt dwarfs.

also we can do whatever we want with the cats, given the nature of the game. we could make a dish specifically out of it's entrails. or skin it and make a leather cat cloak.

that said, nobody harm the fort animals, please

FreshCutFries

Who What Now posted:

So do you use quantum stockpiles to get rid of trash or do you do it the legit way?

i've never had a need to do it any way but the "legit" one

Who What Now posted:

Also if you have cats at some point it's almost necessary to start a kitten harvesting industry just to keep your computer from combusting.

never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FreshCutFries

Facebook Aunt posted:

You can just neuter the cats to prevent explosions.

NEVER!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FreshCutFries

i brought male and female kittens, puppies, and bunnies for a reason damnit

FreshCutFries

first thing's first. we need to get that masterpiece bed into preservation asap. the fort is still small, so security will just be a locked door for now.

areas for underground farms and a dining/kitchen have been dug out as well. i didn't get a shot of the empty farm area, so you'll just have to trust that the farms you see later didn't appear out of the aether.

we added some more workshops: a farmers workshop so we can extract seeds from those whip vines, a craftsdwarfs shop so we can start getting some exportable goods for the coming merchant caravan next season, and a third workshop that's none of your business!!!

we're also running low on stone, and i want to find some more gold veins, so exploratory mining has begun below the bedrooms. i hope the distant sound of pickaxes is soothing to everyone.

and then a surprise!

i didn't expect a migrant wave until the merchant caravan saw how amazing our cuddly society was shaping up to be, but i guess all that drunken shouting we did as we left town made an impression on people. here's our new friends:

of course, this means we have to expand the bedroom area. not for the migrants. for all the masterpiece beds death sext is about to make.

here's the finished dining area with annotations

and that was all for summer!
the first year in dwarf fortress is generally either a complete poo poo show or very uneventful, so bear with us here. here's an overview of the current fort, from top to bottom:

we've made a small dent in all the logs laying around outside, but we still have a way to go. we've also moved almost all the crap we brought with us underground.

here's the finished underground farm area. the top plot is for plump helmets (mushrooms for brewing) and the bottom plot is for pig tails (for rope, thread, etc.)

the dining area again

the workshops with a new stockpile to the north to store any finished goods

the finished bedrooms

and, finally, the current status of our exploratory mining

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

is that masterwork chair going to be safely placed in the locked room with the bed?

and also:

pff, chairs are no beds

Hihohe posted:

we have too many fishery workers. Let me be a head cuddler or an engraver or anything other than working with fish. its undwarf-like.

4 out of 6 migrants were fisherman for some reason lol

Heather Papps posted:

okay so i am here now but also what tileset are you using? the main reason i never played df seriously is that i get it, ascii is cool and retro but

well

dude it's like 2026 gimme a tileset, ok?

i'm using phoebus, which should be the default tile set if you download the pack i linked under my op!

FreshCutFries

queef anxiety posted:

This is amazing and I wholeheartedly wish to be on the next wave of brave migrations. You're doing gods work

e: if that's OK :ohdear:

e2: any news on DF steam release? 2025?

i am actively excited to bring "queef anxiety" to the fort

FreshCutFries

Nosfereefer posted:

is this still going? i can take next year if noone else is up for it yet!

yup! just been busy this week. I'm hoping to have my year finished up this weekend and I can send it off to you. I'm pretty sure nobody else has volunteered for year two yet.

FreshCutFries

buhh. i finished my year and have about 80 screenshots to sort through and write up. i'm going to bed.

FreshCutFries

Nosfereefer posted:

is this still going? i can take next year if noone else is up for it yet!

let me know if you want the fort file before the updates, and i'll pm it to you

FreshCutFries

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i dont know if i can participate in the succession but i can deffos be dorf'd

oh whoops. must've misunderstood. if i put anyone else in the wrong spot or missed you, please let me know.

FreshCutFries

i've been keeping details to a minimum to ease people into dwarf fortress as much as possible, but i want to start digging in a bit more to really show off how batshit insane this game is. you might've already gotten a hint with the stuff i posted about the world in the first update. in dwarf fortress, you generate an entire fantasy world from scratch, complete with generated history between civilizations and other major players in the world of the Cyclopean Dimension. there's about 500 years worth of simulated history to explore that i haven't dug into, but the three civilizations of our world were the survivors from like, 15-ish, at world gen. the others were killed off by warfare or powerful beasts or whatever.

with that said, i want to transition to why i bring this up: we need to stop cooking plump helmets

in a sane videogame this would either not be a problem or it would be something relatively simple to solve, and maybe there's a simple solution to this in dwarf fortress as well, but if your going to play dwarf fortress, you should loving PLAY dwarf fortress, so i'm going to teach you about custom stockpiles and burrows, which is how i solved this little debacle.

that's the stock pile screen to the right in the shot above. you'll see a big list of stockpile types we have to choose from. in a sane video game these would be our only options, but in dwarf fortress we have custom stockpiles at our disposal

ok. custom stock pile settings. the left-most column is choosing a broad category, with each of those options having a sub-category (the middle column) with each sub-category tending to contain multiple pages worth of items (one page is displayed in the right column).

if you look back at the first shot, you'll see our kitchen/brewery set up, and i'll try to explain the problem we're faced with. a brewer takes some plants and an empty barrel and turns them into a barrel of alcohol and a pile of the plant's seeds. a kitchen takes 2-4 edible things and turns them into a meal. plants are, regrettably, edible, and if you notice, the kitchen does NOT give you seeds from the plants you use. SO, my original plan of having a shared stockpile was not well thought out, because the cook just loving goes apeshit for the plant i wanted to use for brewing, plump helmets, and cooks with them constantly, slowly chipping away at our ability to continue producing plump helmets.

so how do you fix this?

well, if you put yourself in the shoes of a dwarf: if you have two ingredients to choose from, with one being close to you and the other being further away, you would probably grab the closer one, right?

so lets shuffle around our food stockpile by splitting it into two custom stockpiles.

the stock pile under the brewery will hold brewable plants (except whip vines and pig tails, which we want to use for flour and thread, respectively).

and the stock pile under the kitchen will hold all other food types.

should be good.

nope. the cook STILL walks all the way over to the brewer's plant barrel and pulls plump helmets out of it. so we need a step two that utilizes an even more advanced feature: burrows.

burrows are essentially a way to assign dwarves an area to work in. they're a pretty nuanced feature, that i don't fully understand tbh, but luckily one of the most basic use cases for them is what we need.

let's also use this moment to point out how byzantine df's interface can be. especially with the advanced, late stage features, like burrows.

see above. you open the burrow menu and are faced with the screen shown above. you press "a" to add a new burrow. this adds a new item to the list. then you need to press enter to "define the burrow." this brings you to a sub-menu:

you can do a bunch of things here, but i just want to define it right now.

then you go back to the main burrow menu and press c to assign someone to it.

now, what we have done, is told a dwarf to only work in this assigned area. but, we're not done yet! no way. because, what we actually told the dwarf was to only take jobs from this area. they will still go outside of the area to gather anything they need for that job. if we want to make this self-contained, we need to make sure we press w at the main burrow menu to restrict the dwarf entirely to the burrow.

BUT if you recall, we only told the brewer's stock pile to store plants. we're now missing an ingredient: barrels. so back to the custom stockpile screen.

if you leave things as i show in that shot, no barrels will ever be put into your stock pile. that's because the furniture subsection of the custom stockpile menu of the stockpile settings is handled differently than the other subsections of the custom stockpile menu of the stock pile settings. you need to not only tell it to store the barrel "type," you need to also specify that yes, you can store barrels of any material. if you leave the materials section blank, the dwarfs will go: "ok, you want barrels, but you DON'T want the barrels to be made of anything???" and ignore the order.

dwarf fortress!

i complain, but this is still legit one of my favorite games, ever.

FreshCutFries fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 17, 2019

FreshCutFries

update 2 of fall, and we're still on the first day :iit:

we're approaching winter, so i want to have a good idea about what our stocks are looking like. to do that we'll need to assign someone to be a record keeper, and i figure who better than our mod alnilam? this is totally an artistic choice and not because he's the best record keeper.

i think we have enough fodder for crazy df details, so i'm going to skip over a lot of what nobles are. just know that they basically are the bureaucrats of the fort, and have special requirements to work.

we can see here that alnilam needs an office. luvcow is fine just chilling, but we'll build him one too.

we have a ton of wood laying around, and i like the idea of a non-standard fort that's partly above ground, so let's make some log cabins for our offices.

you can see above that i've started designating some walls (and staircases because of dumbness, lol). we also need to build a wooden floor (still haven't noticed that i designated staircases, despite them CLEARLY being staircases, btw):

and, it rains a lot here, so a roof is probably useful. i haven't shown off the upper z-levels outdoors. you'll notice that the tree trunks are actually attached to branches! and leaves! like trees!

gently caress:

okay whatever. rain won't kill them.

after finally noticing that stairs don't make good walls, here's our finished, roofless (open-air for optimists) cabins:

this is a non-standard setup for dwarven nobles, but i still want to respect our dwarven heritage, so let's have all the furniture be stone:

you'll also notice i've queued up a quern. this is to start grinding whip vines for our flour industry.

while we were waiting for the mason to finish that, excitement!

unfortunately, we don't have a road, so their wagons will have to stay put, but they'll bring whatever they can by hand. also, as that helpful note reminds us, we need to build a trade depot for them, which requires a new skill.

(i always bring an architect at embark for this)

while we're waiting for that to finish up, our 24/100 linguistics and 19/100 empathy leader, luvcow (also our new trader!), meets with the liaison from the dwarfland.

he brings us news of what's going on in the world, so let's check things out. we still alone in the middle of nowhere?

oh. ok. it says they're at peace, but i don't trust the goblins especially. good thing my term is only a year!

there's so many pointless screens in these meetings

above, we can make requests for the merchants to prioritize next year. i take a look at our stocks and notice something:

i brought a male and female kitten specifically to fill the fort with cats, but it turns out one of them is asexual (or neutered? i'm not sure which that symbol refers to actually). anyways, i told them female cats are our top priority:

another vital screen

an even more vital screen

here's what they would like from US, if nosfereefer wants to focus on any of these

"Buhh, your breath smell," responds luvcow

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

this is amazing thank you

i feel like my dwarf expedition leader is lacking in leader skills so i hope luvcow dwarf doesn't gently caress this all up

:pray:

but i know luvcow dwarf will

luvcow is also a very good consoler, and I've already noticed a few dwarfs thinking that they felt better after talking to him.

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

lets drink some alcohol because i require it to make it through the day

a good strategy lol

FreshCutFries

Who What Now posted:

Did DorfFort remove the option of designating which foods are for cooking and which are for brewing in the stocks menu?

I figured there might be an easier way I didn't know about but I like complaining

FreshCutFries

Merchants have arrived and are unloading their goods.

Merchants have arrived and are unloading their goods.

i had Stoner Sloth crafting, but he doubled as our mason, so he didn't get too much done to export. it's something though!

on the right up there are our exports. the left is the merchant inventory. we need bags because i haven't had time to touch the cloth industry yet, so i buy a bunch of those and leave the merchants with a good profit. idk if it's even still a thing, but that used to make migrants more likely to come to the fort.

okay, now that the merchants are packing up, lets get back to the offices

never mind!

there's nine dwarfs in this wave, which officially exhausted our dwarfing volunteers at the time. last thread, we just started pulling from random BYOB posters when we ran out, and i started doing this with alnilam, but i figured i'd ask if anyone had any other ideas before going full tilt.

here's the ones that were dwarfed:

i...might need to address this goblet situation.

we're gonna need to expand the bedrooms, and then again the next wave, so i just do a double expansion now:

you might notice that my designations now appear as 1's. this is the priority system that lets me tell Piso Mojado and luvcow, hey, i know i told you to endlessly mine in straight lines downstairs, but come do this before working on that more.

ok, now back to the offices! Stoner Sloth finished up the furnishing so let's put those in our modern (roofless) offices:

gently caress!!!!!!!!!

it's okay. this idea is salvageable. i want office cabins god dammit.

perfect

you can see alnilam in the last shot busy at work recording our stocks, so we can finally get an idea where we're at.

the breakdown is misleading. most of that 497 "Other" is fish. so...basically, we're good on fish.

i decide this means we can upgrade the fort meals from easy (biscuits) to fine (stew)

i also expand the workshop area to have a fishery, quern, and clothier's shop.

the fishery will let us start cleaning our raw fish. manero has apparently been throwing entire fish, bones and head and tail included, in his fish/muck root biscuits.

the quern will let us start grinding our whip vines into flour, which will also give us whip vine seeds so we can stop gathering them. this process uses up a bag every time, and we run through the ones we bought from the merchants real quick, so the clothier's shop is the first step in our cloth, well bag, industry.

FreshCutFries

if you were perceptive, you might have noticed a red C in the last update. this is the indicator that combat occurred! normally this just means a fisherdwarf got too close to an alligator or something and was chased away, but let's make sure everything's fine.

punchline

turns out one of the puppies i brought with me grew into a rambunctious young dog. it went to check out the local dingo-people (imagine the smells!), and a dingo-woman tried to strike it! that's uncalled for, but i will admit that the dog's response seems to be overkill.

also grats on that Planter job, Solon. not sure why it's in the combat logs!

that log has our first taste of the classic dwarf fortress strategy of grabbing someones toe (singular) and doing jujitsu on them (this is not a joke)

the dog and the dingo-woman that started it all eventually break away from the group. the dingo-woman desperately tried to scramble away, but the dog was literally nipping at her heels the entire time.

eventually they both came to a stop, and just...went home. maybe they were playing? idk...canine things.

ok, let's see. winter was pretty uneventful. especially compared to fall. i spent most of it tying up the loose ends from my year. i re-organized our stockpile in the crafts area and realized something.

we have too much goddamn wood

barrels are made of wood and are also something that we'll need lots of, so that sounds like a good idea.

the normal workshop menu only lets you queue up so many items, so i appointed Resting Lich Face as the official Cuddleboat Manager. don't worry, i gave him a log cabin.

like all things dwarf fortress the manager is complicated. basically, they let you designate work orders, saying that you just want say, 50 barrels, and then the manager actually figures out how to make that happen for you. it's a nice feature!

while waiting for that and some other stuff to be finished, something happens!!!

occasionally and whether natural or supernatural, a dwarf will become obsessed with making a great creation. they will toss out whoever is using a workshop and claim it for themselves until the project is finished. in this case, and luckily for us, nut was possessed by an entity that loves our fort's wood, so that's all nut needed to complete this. if a dwarf isn't able to collect the ingredients they need, they are not too happy about that!!

nothing exciting in the text, but i'm sure it's very nice

meanwhile, our other dog is meeting the locals now:

i also stopped our fisherdwarfs from fishing and put them all on cleaning duty, complete with tri-fisheries. the one cleaner had a stupid big backlog and they couldn't keep up with the new influx, so i want to get this taken care of before we keep catching fish.

addendum: i remembered that i also finished setting up our bag and flour industry. the only problem is we're out of pig tails and you can't grow them until summer i think. there's probably a lot of things that are going to need to be done before the industries can be left alone, something i wanted to avoid before my turn ended, but iirc nosfereefer is an old hat to dwarf fortress, so i'm sure they'll do great.

and that's it for my year!!!! here's a rundown of the fort:

FreshCutFries fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 18, 2019

FreshCutFries

i THINK the only thing you need is the region folder for these things. someone with better memory than me from last time remind me if i'm wrong.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=114GuSmOpHym8G9od9nQpoBet_4Ggr91J

nosfereefer is up next and i'm excited to see where they take things! i'm also going to throw my name in the dwarf list now that my turn is done. i was going to hold off on the players, but it might be a long wait for some, so i'm going to toss all the players in the list as well.

oh yeah! there's a to be dwarfed list in my op! i'll do my best to keep it up to date so that info can be consolidated there.

FreshCutFries

ps: i never made any goblets

FreshCutFries

Nosfereefer posted:

i have a vision for this fort

it involves a lot of goblets

i already take issue with this administration

FreshCutFries

my family has been dunking their head directly in barrels of wine for generations

FreshCutFries

Twenty Four posted:

Why are goblets important / not important?

I'm just joking because I forgot to make them. Dwarfs get upset when they have to drink without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

Nosfereefer posted:

progress is steady, and due to all the new immigrants we now have 20 dwarves wrasslin

i love that we have this giant wrestling free for all right by the main entrance