Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

if i were not going to the forest for a week i'd be in so hard this thread better still be up when i intermittently check byob from the library or my grammas house

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

okay so i am here now but also what tileset are you using? the main reason i never played df seriously is that i get it, ascii is cool and retro but

well

dude it's like 2026 gimme a tileset, ok?

Heather Papps

hello friend

i've downloaded the zip and i think i'm going to give this game another crack, but i'd also love to be a dwarf or something, maybe the cat

Heather Papps

hello friend

they seemed like introductory phrases, less then mantra. in the description textdump it explains that during their trek to the promised land they got caught in a rainstorm, but the level of detail in this tileset is insane already and animating rainfall would be a hat on top of a factory that makes hats

Heather Papps

hello friend

FreshCutFries posted:

yup! just been busy this week. I'm hoping to have my year finished up this weekend and I can send it off to you. I'm pretty sure nobody else has volunteered for year two yet.

i volunteer for 3rd year cause uh i still haven't extracted that compressed file.
maybe 4?

Heather Papps

hello friend

can i be the dog?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

can i be the dog?

seems to have a lot of spunk

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps

hello friend

stop covering for the dog he needs to learn responsibility

Heather Papps

hello friend

FreshCutFries posted:

h papps volunteered next for year three i believe, but if you don't have time to do it now pls let us know!

i have time, but maybe year four? i wanna mess around for a while so i don't immediately destroy the whole thread, and my lil bro loves df so he's giving me some tips,

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

i have time, but maybe year four? i wanna mess around for a while so i don't immediately destroy the whole thread, and my lil bro loves df so he's giving me some tips,

this being said i am starting up df for the first time in like, 6 years, to see if i can shake the rust off.

a long while ago i played gnomoria a lot, which i figured was like df lite with a tileset, and i had a lot of fun with it.

if i give myself a chunk of time to learn the game i could be ready tomorrow to run a year i think, especially if i have my lil bro bring some beers and help me not destroy everything by like opening both floodgates or whatever

Heather Papps

hello friend

my little brother is over explaining dwarf fortress to me and there is no way to make a nerd happier then to ask him to explain his nerd to you

Heather Papps

hello friend

so tomorrow i'm gonna run my year. i've been messing around for a few hours today and even tho' it's obtuse, it is kind of intuitive? i don't know but i like it and now i wish i had paid more attention to the development.
i was telling my brother i can parse ascii for like, roguelikes and whatnot, but the amount of visual noise in the game is intimidating to even the initiated.

my goal for the year is to not destroy everything, and to have a tavern up and running.

Heather Papps

hello friend

a fun thing about df is that figuring out how to play df is also it's own game

par example i am figuring out how to import a savefile currently and it's been a fun reminder of when i wanted to know where that last loving fairy was in the stone tower holy poo poo and i didn't realised i missed the struggle of games till it happened. anyways i think i figured it out but bear with me cause i am not a clever man

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am laughing very hard at the fact that turning off the intro animation is an "advanced settings feature"

Heather Papps

hello friend

weekends are busy. i apologize for lack of updates but i want to do a good job!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Lizard Wizard posted:

don't worry, i load autosaves like a coward so your only death will be an unavoidable one

Heather Papps

hello friend

it's the day. you downloaded the file, and, as a fool, think that you can drag drop copy paste and just, you know, play the game.

you are a fool.

it is not so simple.

pride, shattered against the rock.

tomorrow, you say. i'll figure it tomorrow.

the weekend ends and you are still lost, a babe in the woods.

Heather Papps

hello friend

FreshCutFries posted:

you still want to move to year 4? we can always open up for volunteers on year 3.

naw i have it figured out, i just figured i'd narratarize the process so other folk who have no idea how the game works have an idea of what it's like when you are less experienced, and that figuring out both how to play, and the actual playing, are fun!

i am gonna do another short text post about figuring out savefile transfers, and then get to the actual gameplay posts. part of not being super familiar with the game is that it takes me longer to do stuff, even with dwarf therapist and associated applications.

Heather Papps

hello friend

like all problems in life, the savefile issue was simpler than it seemed. obviously i just drop the folder into the savefile, right? i've transfered savefiles between emulators when i was trying to find a good n64 back in the day, and like, i don't know. this should be simple.

so i do that.
doesn't work.

do some googling.
can't figure out whats wrong.

get a hunch.
look at how my savefile folders are organized.
look at how the imported save file is organized. it has one extra folder, before the actual folder that contains the folders and files i need.

i copy the folder i need, paste it into the savefile folder, and voila,

we are dwarf fortressing!

Heather Papps

hello friend

so my first move is to plan out the tavern. part of me wanted to put it as an outbuilding but well, this is my first real rodeo so carving it out of rock seems like it makes the most sense.

hallway, pukerooms/bathrooms, main room, office, store room.

okay so i unpaused, and i'm poking around with dwarf therapist to see if i can get someone mining out the tavern.

and then!

NEAT!

Heather Papps

hello friend

hi ho off to work we go!

Heather Papps

hello friend

:yosnice:

off from the dining hall i decided to carve out either a temple, or maybe, secondary bar, closer to beds.

oh no buddy

Heather Papps

hello friend

this won't do

much better.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps

hello friend

gotta make some tables!

Heather Papps

hello friend

my tavern needs tables, and i love bossing nut around

Heather Papps

hello friend

Nosfereefer posted:

how many animals does the fortress have now?

no idea

Heather Papps

hello friend

but here is a whole pile of great news!@

BABIES!

also, someone made a masterpiece nut figurine, i guess because he's the captain of the guard or something?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Dungeon Ecology posted:

this thread is great, and im resisting the temptation to dust off the ol' dwarf therapist and strike the earth!

but, instead, i could be persuaded to be named after a dwarf in the next migration. you could shorten it if you like, or i could just be d.e.cology the underground plump helmet farmer

i haven't named any dwarfs after the folks who've asked because i am not sure if i just like, pick an un named dwarf, or wait for immigrants, or what the best way is.
there are babies now, so maybe it's new immigrants or new babies can be candidates for naming?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Nosfereefer posted:

i say you name them based on crafting skills, military positions and special roles like doctors

more likely stuff happens w/ them

:iit:

i did look at all the animals, once, but then promptly learned to do like 5 new things and forgot how to do it.

how do i check on our animal pals?

Heather Papps

hello friend

oh

Heather Papps

hello friend

it me

Heather Papps

hello friend

To Be Dwarfed:
Korean Boomhauer
"mojangles"
FreshCutFries
vanisher
GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
super mario batali
Dungeon Ecology

any requests? there is a surplus of dwarfs currently, otherwise imma just name cool dwarfs after posters

Heather Papps

hello friend

so the temple is a temple to industry, now, i guess?
threw some workshops in the space because i couldn't figure out how to get them to pick the poo poo up off the floor

Heather Papps

hello friend

lol ast

Heather Papps

hello friend

how do i display these cool things? or do the dwarves that make them just like, pocket em?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Luvcow posted:

is it possible to eat the babies? do the dwarves get sad if another dwarf eats their baby?

:ohdear:

mods help

Heather Papps

hello friend

HappyKitty posted:

Has dwarven justice been unfucked or will the hammerer still go around maiming all your best craftsdwarves because they failed to make exactly three toy forges out of schist at the whim of some minor noble

i honestly have no idea hey you wanna be a dwarf>?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

i'll make my way thru the list but im trying to pick funny ones