Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four

I know absolutely nothing about this game but so many people seem excited so I am excited to follow along and watch I guess? I can't make heads or tails from the screenshots from the page linked earlier though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

I like my dwarf's somewhat contradictory traits. I know almost nothing about dwarf fortress but I heard it is fun and I am enjoying reading so far!

Also cool with doing some fishing, as since my dwarf "needs alcohol to get through the day" drinking and fishing is a good combo. Also nice on getting a corner room!

The map of our base mostly makes sense to me but the outside view of the land is a bit daunting with my lack of knowledge of this game.

Twenty Four

FreshCutFries posted:

i think the most important thing when first learning dwarf fortress is to not let yourself get bogged down in details. there's a whole lot of information going on in the outside view, but like 3/4 of it can be condensed to "random plant life."

here's a comparison shot with stonesense:

the not-plantlife bits are basically anything not colored green, blue, or green/blue adjacent. all the logs should be clear, but here's a brief overview of the rest:

I won't go as far as to say I have it all figured out, but now that map makes a fair amount more sense then just a pile of symbols, thank you!

Twenty Four

It might seem simple, but seeing a little dwarf with my name running around doing stuff makes me happy.

Twenty Four

FreshCutFries posted:

4 out of 6 migrants were fisherman for some reason lol

Is a fishery worker different then a fisherman? My dwarf said fisherdwarf but all the new ones say fishery worker.

e: like in my mind one would catch the fish and the others would gut, prepare, can, etc. but that's just from the names and what I know about commercial fishing and not the game

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 11, 2019

Twenty Four

FreshCutFries posted:

i am actively excited to bring "queef anxiety" to the fort

lol

Twenty Four

dorf

Twenty Four

Why are goblets important / not important?

Twenty Four

Drinking straight from the source? I don't see the problem here.

Wait I forgot this is a game and not my own personal life, except I have a dorf so yes it is now!

Twenty Four

has anyone made a cup?

Twenty Four

i hope my dorf did a thing

last she got a little crazy and possessed and made herself a water buffalo bone pike i think?

i have no idea what that does or if it means anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

Nosfereefer posted:

i'll bite

why all the tables?

Hihohe posted:

We might need them

Heather Papps posted:

I knew EXACTLY what I was doing and it's all going to plan

google THIS posted: