Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good edits. That throttle body got what was coming to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
This is going to suck

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Yeah, modifying the HMI parts always sucks. Not going bottom-hinge?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, modifying the HMI parts always sucks. Not going bottom-hinge?

A lot of this is just going with "what I know" or what we use at work. I thought about it but I just am using this out of comfort.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
EMtron ECU + Rotary

The pattern is full

We are go for launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OaXZck4GgE

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I love you're videos since they're the most anti YouTube thing. Just smack, gently caress, gently caress, smack, vrrrrr. It conveys the feeling so well. Anti filler.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Whee, dancing cursor!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

honda whisperer posted:

I love you're videos since they're the most anti YouTube thing. Just smack, gently caress, gently caress, smack, vrrrrr. It conveys the feeling so well. Anti filler.

Thank you sir!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Need help with base timing because im a dummy

The factory wheel has a mark of -20 deg for the front trailing plug.

I locked the timing in the Emtron to 0 degrees.
I set the trailing split table to 20 deg retard.

Using a non adjustable timing light I made adjustments to the offset in the ECU. Which was 0 as the mark was bang on.

I also checked with an adjustable timing light on the lead plug, and here's where I think I got it wrong.
When checking the lead plug (mind you im using direct fire instead of factory waste spark) the mark is considered -5 degrees.
I advanced my timing light by 5 degrees and locked the ECU to 0 degrees. When I did this I ended up with a -18 degree offset in the ECU.

What did I do wrong? I want to trust the trailing setup more since I wasn't using an adjustable light.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Came for update: I would agree - adjustable timing lights do not work. Take a degree wheel and mark the pulley at -5* with bright paint. Adjust as needed to get the mark to show.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Turns out I'm just a dummy and didn't quite understand how the degrees were actually laid out on the pulley. I've been driving her around. Took her to work for the first time. I may cobble a video up soon. Just been really busy.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Shorty update.

Been driving it just fine, still have a lot to do, but making videos is haaarrrdd.

Maybe I'll do one soon,
but

Here's the thing.

I was setting up for some sweet cruise control, using the OEM buttons mind you, and I had to have EMtron enable the feature, but I needed a firmware update. Since then (and I'm not really sure if this is the problem or not as I was changing multiple things at once) she runs like poo poo. AFRs show lean, correcting them on the VE table is pointless, adjusting main map timing doesn't do much. She loving kicks back when starting, hard starting too. Its all just... not right.

Kickback always indicates timing. ALWAYS.

First I scoped my crank and sync signals. They were tits.

I even played around with the edge trigger voltage. Meh.

I then locked the timing at 0, put the timing light on the trailing (the marks on the pully are -20 trailing), set the trailing spit at 20. Got it started and WHAT THE gently caress, couldn't even see the mark, it was way past 90 deg off. I had to back the locked timing to -50 (the maximum), to get the mark close, but not close enough, and it started to run better. For shits n giggles I even timed out the leading coil. If I'm reading it right, the trailing is firing before the leading. @_@

Mechanically the timing is locked on the 13-BRRRRREW Master :loving suds emoji:

I double checked the firing order, double checked the wiring (even though nothing changed), did a spark test, all is correct.

So, either my engine decided to change mechanical timing or the new firmware is hosed. What could I be missing, I find it hard to believe that a firmware update could nuke things this badly and I'm in no position to make accusations as im A COMPLETE DUMMY and could have hosed something.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Roll the firmware back?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Yeah, roll the firmware back to verify.

I wonder if the lead and trailing ignition in the firmware got flipped. Either tables or I/O assignment.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Gonna try that next!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Gonna try that next!

I hope 1) It was a firmware bug and 2) did no permanent engine damage. Ignition issues terrify me on Doritos.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I had an adaptronic firmware update brick my buddies car- it screwed the timing for the FFE hall sensor kit he had installed and would not even start.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
^^ edit: did adaptronic find the problem or did they ignore it?

Yeah its the firmware. I just don't even. I could have easily hosed this thing up. The index offset just kinda changed whenever it wanted to on each startup. I spent hours chasing. At one time an offset of 180 was cool and good, then the next time 360 was good but 180 was bad. Sometimes 0 was good, or steps of 60 would work. ROUND AND loving ROUND.

The firmware on the emtron takes ages to do, so I downgraded and all my problems went away. Offset 0, poo poo was nice and peppy, no kickback, no sputters, no "gently caress gently caress gently caress"

Like with the "new" firmware I could drive it, sit at a light, and then outta loving nowhere the timing would go to poo poo and I couldn't drive it. I could barely get it moving off of the line, pull over, reset the offset, and then it would be good, until the next startup or whatever random time it wanted to gently caress me.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 17, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Jesus. What a bunch of morons. Did they even test the firmware? Glad rolling it back took care of the problem.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Don't trust any of the stock wiring even though most of it isn't.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Serious WTF on that firmware issue

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Don't trust any of the stock wiring even though most of it isn't.

gently caress. Is the engine ok? :ohdear: At least there are quite a few engine wiring harness solutions available now. Or are you thinking fuel pump wiring?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Power to the coils, so all it did was let off the fuel in the exhaust, in a very loud way. I ran a new wire, all good. I foolishly tapped into the stock chassis harness for a few things when I should have ran new.

I still haven't heard anything on the firmware. So I guess I'll keep this one for now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh man, at least adaptronic fixed it in the next scheduled update cycle (30 days or less?). I'm overall happy with the stock wiring, for stock things. I would just PDM the car at your point.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

Oh man, at least adaptronic fixed it in the next scheduled update cycle (30 days or less?). I'm overall happy with the stock wiring, for stock things. I would just PDM the car at your point.

I have a PDM. I was dumb and didnt integrate the power to the coils into my engine harness and kept it on the chassis.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DliW3kyTuHo

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Happy New Year

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I just wanted some cheese-its

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Happy New Year!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Mmm cheez-it's

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Took her out on a job site.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Did you do any burnouts?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Iirc, they can't do burnouts there anymore, thus them renting space elsewhere.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Elmnt80 posted:

Iirc, they can't do burnouts there anymore, thus them renting space elsewhere.

This is correct. The neighborhood is not happy with them.

I mean they can do burnouts, its just that everything requires permitting and street shut downs now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Aeka 2.0 posted:

This is correct. The neighborhood is not happy with them.

I mean they can do burnouts, its just that everything requires permitting and street shut downs now.

Blame Australia

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well the turbo is leaking oil really badly. I popped it open and replaced the seals and it still leaks, its quite the smoke show. I made sure it wasn't the oil seals on the rotary, its definitely the turbo.
So now im faced with seeing what it will cost to upgrade it to ball bearing. Anyone know what kind of rear end reaming it is to change out the chra to a BB setup if the impellers and housings are still good? Its a Precision Turbo, I don't remember which one, I think its the PT6266. But im not for sure.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Hmm. Those CX Racing turbos are starting to look tempting, lol.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You can always tell quality by the word turbo cast right in the housing.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Getting a quote for a 6766 (what i have) BB CHRA. Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Goonspeed.