Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Jumped in the car, the front was on jack stands, one wheel was off and under the car.
The car slipped and crashed down, landing on the wheel i put under it and a brake rotor hit the ground.
I thought i broke the car, but there was no consequential damage.

The only photo I could get at the time was the squashed jack stand.

Always put a backup under the car.

So I couldn't take the coolant buzzer buzzing any time i turned on the ignition any more.

There is a CPU near the kickpanel that controls the blinkers, security, and alarms.

In order to stop it from screaming because of the modifications to the car I have made, the only good way around it was to trick the unit that it was seeing voltage to the driver alarm circuit.

That is the proper amount of flux, if you say different gently caress you.

So a small issue, I was planning on using some strategies for starting the car but that might not happen due to a datastream issue from the AEM to the AIM dash.
When I start the car the serial stream stops being captured by the dash for a few seconds. I need to check to see if it happens when hooked to a laptop, but I do not remember that being an issue.
It seems like the ECU is resetting *something* once a crank edge is seen. I've seen this behavior with other ECUs but the datastream doesnt die off, only a quick re prime of the fuel pump.

In the video below I bump the starter and the datastream can be seen timing out., the fuel pump re primes, the coolant buzzer (this was before removal), will also reset, which doesn't make sense to me as the starter is driven directly by the PDM when using the keypad and bypasses any cut out switches. So why would the coolant buzzer reset? Not sure if that is related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSZG4SOOdc

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oof, pretty sure I'd poo poo myself if I had a stand fail like that.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I was freaking out, my leg was sorta wrapping the underside when it started moving. I was in so much of a panic I didn't take any photos until I calmed down, got the car up, and then took a photo of the stand.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Are you sure you used enough flux on that board? Usually you want it to slide off the desk on its own.

Hope the jack drop didn't hurt anything expensive, glad you are OK. I have nothing to offer on the AEM logger konking out. It does seem like the ECU is going away for a split second (PDM temp still monitored but not IAT?) and that makes the whole setup freak out.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 25, 2020

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are you sure you used enough flux on that board? Usually you want it to slide off the desk on its own.

Hope the jack drop didn't hurt anything expensive, glad you are OK. I have nothing to offer on the AEM logger konking out. It does seem like the ECU is going away for a split second (PDM temp still monitored but not IAT?) and that makes the whole setup freak out.

Yeah im fine and so is the car, thank you.

The PDM is using CAN bus to the dash
The AEM is using Serial to the dash
Aux sensors (fuel pres, oil pres, oil temp) are ran directly to the dash. Ignore the numbers I haven't calibrated them yet.

Power to the ECU is consistent. Hopefully Ill get off my rear end today and see if the serial data craps out when the laptop is hooked up.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I got around to hooking up the laptop and yes, the datastream stops for a second, the aim dash just takes a long time to reinitialize which sucks.
The original goal was to have a an automatic push button start with an RPM exit speed to stop the starter.
I can still do it, I just now need to run the RPM wire from the ECU to the dash. Bleh.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Should we be honored that Banks was a total dick to everyone involved in this?
We supplied the dyno cell, we had nothing to do with those leaks, but everyone got poo poo on this Youtube show project. Whoopiee.

edit: I'm in the beanie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjumzxI-Kko

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Should we be honored that Banks was a total dick to everyone involved in this?
We supplied the dyno cell, we had nothing to do with those leaks, but everyone got poo poo on this Youtube show project. Whoopiee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjumzxI-Kko

He's awesome. The Hoonigans are morons (talented morons, but morons regardless), and the people they hired are scammers who know next to nothing about diesel tuning. Sorry the Redline name got dragged through the mud.

Smoke tune Bros should be dragged behind their obnoxiously loud and dirty trucks.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 8, 2020

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
If you watch the original our dyno guy kinda is calling the tuner out on his bullshit.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Is Dan really that tiny?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't tell you since when that filming happened I had no clue who anyone was except for Suppy since that is our tuner's brother.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Quick content.

I ran the power steering hoses and was NOT going to run a push on hose for the return, so I cut open the reservoir to add a bulkhead return.

And god dammit is this poo poo still a messssss

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well, its been a month sine any updates.
The car has been running, I've been driving it, but its far from done and I haven't had any video because my phone, which had all the poo poo on it, broke. Well, I broke it.

I did notice an issue, which I should have found earlier. Before I took it down, I noticed a hard ignition cutoff at 7k rpms. I took it as a poo poo ground. Turns out the coil driver for the primary coils was shot. I've been running on trailings only. I thought it felt sluggish, hahah.

So I've taken it back down and am making a new engine harness for an Emtron ECU. I can't afford the Motec tax, even at cost, but I wasn't going to go AEM or even Haltech.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I realize I'm really late on this but that broken jack stand is extremely uncool

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah man, blowowwws.

So, here is the new ECU.

This is a massive upgrade from the AEM.

Tons of functions, tons of I/Os even for the small one. No expensive licensing. The license just to run a Rotary on a Motec M130 is almost 1000 dollars. Nah.
I'll be able to still have OEM functions that I need, speed inputs (traction control), air conditioning, etc... with the added ability for the ECU to take in fuel pressure, and oil pressure, instead of just monitoring it on the AIM dash.
VE style maps with taking all of the inputs I can throw at it to make the the fucker almost tune itself.
I'm going to pre run wiring for drive by wire, because why wouldn't I?
Which means a new engine harness.
ugh.

The other nice thing is if I run out of I/Os (i will), I have the AIM dash, which I can use to add inputs and pass them to the ECU over CAN.
CANT WAIT TO BLOW THIS poo poo UP.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Since I now have down time again I decided to flow test my old Bosch fat body 1680cc peak and hold injectors on the secondary rail. They were the only option in the day if you wanted big, and I had a seperate driver to run them.
I should have taken photos of the spray pattern, they were horrible. They also were over 10cc's off from each other after sonic cleaning them. So now im in the market for some saturated 1700cc injectors. I had no idea how stupidly expensive these are now. I'm also moving up my 550 stock primaries up to some Siemens Deka 875cc injectors. At least those were reasonably priced. I'm stoked to move into the present of good spray patterns and the ability to plug in injector dead times into the ECU.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting increasingly cock blocked by places unwilling to ship to California and its loving frustrating for a car I put 500 miles on a year, how do the people with dedicated race cars deal with it? The company I work for seem to have no problem, but on my own seems to be a problem.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are they scared of enabling someone to violate CARB or something?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

There may have been other cases but I remember when JEGS had to pay $1.7 million for shipping aftermarket parts to CA.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I mean, we all know most are going on street cars, but loving prove it? There is tons of legitimate racing and they seem to be cock blocked. I had a hard time getting a small copper metal gasket because it was a universal race part.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Sloughting through poo poo.

Since I'm starting a new engine harness I have found a box of old stock poo poo, and bags of stock sumitomo connectors:

Stock engine harness vs one I made ten years ago:

The beginnings of another new engine harness for the Emtron ECU.

One of the reasons why I've been slow:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The beginnings of another new engine harness for the Emtron ECU.

does the heatshrink grip the threads well enough to do this instead of a proper backshell?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The backshell is the black ring. It's a short one with no swivel. Epoxy is applied to the knural of the shell to allow a watertight seal for the hardened boot.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Excellent work so far. I love watching your progress.

Sucks you can't get parts shipped to California. The loophole I've always used is to ship the package to a buddy in another state and have that buddy then ship the package on to you.

Obviously you're paying for double shipping but at least you've got your parts.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've got far too many questions.

1) That stock harness still looks usable, save it for me! lol
2) Other than Mouser and Digi, what's your preferred source to bulk order OEM plugs like that?
3) Will anyone but you ever be able to work on this car once your done? :D

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

I've got far too many questions.

1) That stock harness still looks usable, save it for me! lol
2) Other than Mouser and Digi, what's your preferred source to bulk order OEM plugs like that?
3) Will anyone but you ever be able to work on this car once your done? :D

Haha, I always keep one OEM harness in my possession "just in case."

Power&Signal is good. I get the cannon connectors from ICC (A heiland company)
That big rear end bag of Sumitomo connectors is the reason why Eastern Beaver now carries what they have. I ordered in bulk from him when the guy didn't even have them listed, he used his personal connection to Sumitomo to get them.

I don't know if anyone would ever want to touch it, haha.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
So since I took it back down I finally decided to replace the OEM primary side feed setup with some modern top feeds, which, i guess i spoke of a few posts up, lol.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I mean, we all know most are going on street cars, but loving prove it? There is tons of legitimate racing and they seem to be cock blocked. I had a hard time getting a small copper metal gasket because it was a universal race part.

Yeah the whole thing is ridiculous. I live in LA so I really do appreciate the cleaner air, but CARB is out of control. I feel like the rule should be if you can run a part and still pass a sniffer test, you're good to go. Some guy with a non-approved cold air intake isn't causing the pollution.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah the whole thing is ridiculous. I live in LA so I really do appreciate the cleaner air, but CARB is out of control. I feel like the rule should be if you can run a part and still pass a sniffer test, you're good to go. Some guy with a non-approved cold air intake isn't causing the pollution.

Stop me if i'm wrong. But it seems most of the quality of air has been coming with new vehicle regulations and not the guy with the built motor.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Stop me if i'm wrong. But it seems most of the quality of air has been coming with new vehicle regulations and not the guy with the built motor.

It's all additive. One jackass with a smoke-spewing diesel doesn't wreck the air nationwide, but the two on my street can be smelled for 15+ minutes every time they pass by. They're putting out 200x more pollutants than my stock Duramax because they want loud smoky trucks. Both are new, too. One Ford, one Dodge... Day one deleted and "tuned".

You should read a bit about the Port of Oakland and the health effects on predominantly minority-occupied neighborhoods. from the constant stream of truck and ship traffic. They've made big strides cleaning things up, but there's a way to go. Sadly, the law has to cover everyone, not just those that abuse the system.

Do I think CARB regs are over the top? Yes. Do I understand why they got passed into law? Yes. It sucks, but the rules are the rules. Register out of state, user a freight forwarder, or smuggle that poo poo yourself because commercial companies are going to comply with the law regardless of how dumb it is.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

On a bike it's VERY easy to tell which cars need to be taken off the road immediately. I forget the statistics but as you said one bad car can spew many, many times the pollutants of your average passenger car. However, if it's legal to use non-CARB approved parts on a car that's only driven on non-public roads like a racetrack, I don't think it should be on out of state companies to verify that the buyer has an actual race car. We have random sniffing stations the CHP sets up, if your car is non-compliant due to aftermarket parts then you can fine the buyer who broke the law (ignoring the regressive feature of those random tests because amazingly enough I never see them in well off neighborhoods).

The problems with being near ports and airports have long been known, but unless you've had a drastic increase in traffic it's a case of coming to a nuisance, like when people buy homes next to Laguna Seca then complain about the noise. The past two houses I've rented have been RIGHT next to the freeway, which isn't ideal for various health reasons, but I was aware of that when I rented them. It's good they're working on things to lower emissions like making diesel generators for refrigerated cargo unnecessary due to port electrical hookups, but until emission-free semis are viable there's no way to avoid higher emissions around ports.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Luckily I've still be able to get what I want. Except for catalytic converters. Stock ones don't hold up, at all, and I'd actually like to do my part in keeping things somewhat clean and to cut the smell down, but I cannot buy a a race cat (so i run without). There is a fellow rotary goon and close friend here that lives out of state and I've been thinking about having him forward ship something if he's down for it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I hear you on the cat - I'm getting old and cranky, smelling like gas and walking into a hospital just does not work. I want to put a 3" GESi high flow in my White 94. I'm always willing to kick something down to ya if needed.

*Edit: Looks like GESi/Vibrant are no longer partners and GESi has a new brand called g-sport. Now to decide if I want their HO or UHO series.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 26, 2020

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
As a fellow rotary idiot, why ECUtron? VS let's say the Haltech or Adaptronic?
I'm torn right now on what to run the 3 rotor off - and Andy @Haltech suggested I look at his latest project - the Nexus.
It's appealing due to the PDM and new software - but it's also a first gen product. Elliot over at TurboSource would
love for me to run a M6000 and I've had really good success on the M2000 platform. It's hard to decide and the risk
is real when you're looking at a $20k engine build.

Also, want to make a trip to Oregon and help wire a 20b? Haha.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Ugh jesus, I thought it was bad enough wanting to try to salt away a few 20B cores for future race car use...

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

As a fellow rotary idiot, why ECUtron? VS let's say the Haltech or Adaptronic?
I'm torn right now on what to run the 3 rotor off - and Andy @Haltech suggested I look at his latest project - the Nexus.
It's appealing due to the PDM and new software - but it's also a first gen product. Elliot over at TurboSource would
love for me to run a M6000 and I've had really good success on the M2000 platform. It's hard to decide and the risk
is real when you're looking at a $20k engine build.

Also, want to make a trip to Oregon and help wire a 20b? Haha.

Ended up finding a seller on ebay and just bought a cheapo 80 dollar one, guess I'll report if its any good.

Man I would love to visit Oregon, but finding time to do ANYTHING is rough, lol.

So the big deal with EMtron is that where I work, the engineer is very very very pro Motec. 90 percent of what we sell and tune is Motec because its what rich people want (i don't think I've mentioned Bosch to our customers, lol), I know the software, he knows the software. We do tune other things. AEM, Delphi, HPtuner (barf). Our shop started with rotary engines paired with Motec. In fact, if I get my story correct, our shop, and help with a partner at the time were responsible for Motec even bothering with rotary support. These days its mostly LSX motors.

We've had people from plenty of ECU brands come to our shop to sell us on their product. Our engineer, frankly, isn't impressed. He could just be being a smug poo poo, and he tends to call everything else "legos" and I can see that with flexibility, and he personally has been negative on Haltech. I have no experience on what to say here.

We were using AEM for economy stuff but we were running into issues with battery cut off switches not playing nice with the memory on them. So we pretty much are heavy on the Motec.
Personally I could not afford the Motec tax, even at our cost. Emtron ECUs have came around on cars that we've tuned and our engineer actually likes it, gave it a thumbs up. Its also quite affordable. So I just jumped on it and the flexibility vs what I know (Aem EMS and AEM Infinity) is just in another class. I haven't used the ECU yet, but I've slowly been going through the software and am very impressed. I also learned that Emtron is full of ex Motec guys anyway, so their mindsets are very much the same and it shows in the software.

I was asking their tech department about drive by wire to see if they supported throttle SENT (single edge nibble transmission), they did not, for safety reasons, they prefer two TPS signals instead of one. I was looking to free up a couple of AV channels to make all of this work. But the tech informed me that I wasn't limited in the way that I thought. The SL4, unlisted, undocumented, had TWO EXTRA digital inputs that could be used for a TPS signal. DIGITAL INPUTS for an AV signal. I havent checked the Motec M1 if this was possible, as I only use digital inputs for.. on or off signals. I guess the ones on the Emtron have enough resolution for a full 20 volt sweep.

So yeah, thats why. I say this without personally knowing nothing about Haltech and I am familiar that it is big in the rotary community. The only thing I've heard is that the primary to secondary transition isn't as smooth as it should be.

edit: I've seen our engineer pull off some wild poo poo, I saw him trick an old Motec ECU be able to have multiple speed limit selects when it only had one speed by design. He fed it a table with a dash logger that was way beyond my mathematical ability. Looked like a twisted ribbon on the 3d table. He showed me how to do it but man, I would have never figured that poo poo out.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 27, 2020

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Aeka 2.0 posted:

There is a fellow rotary goon and close friend here that lives out of state and I've been thinking about having him forward ship something if he's down for it.

You rang? :v:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Sup friendo.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Here are my inputs for the Emtron SL series.

AV channels:
Fuel Level
MAP
Fuel Pressure
Oil Pressure
Pedal Position 1
Pedal Position 2
Air Temp
Engine Temp
Oil Temp

Digital Channels:
AC Pressure Switch
Steering Pressure Switch
Neutral Switch
A/C On Switch
Brake Switch
Ground Speed
TPS 1
TPS 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtn7fgTjdC8