Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What, you guys don't like pasta?

I do motorsports electrical and electronics for a living so my fear level has flatlined.

LOL. I left the same way before I did robotics as a job. Now it's just a puzzle and it just takes time to decrypt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

a sequential setup just sounds like an expensive nightmare that I don't want to deal with. I'm not even running ball bearing because of cost right now. Precision Turbo has pretty scoocum housings that I'm using and my target is just "better than it was." I'm very la dee dah about it all. I just want it to run well and look good.

Skookum. And one out of two isn't bad. :lol:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

they have patents

LOL. We invented a thing that improves nothing, but no one else has done it. GREAT SCOTT, patent that poo poo immediately!

It probably saves them $0.25 per fan in Hall effect sensors. :confuoot:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The boss man gave me this for free when I asked how much it was, so I chucked it up and spun it down to fit:

Its bigger than stock, so I'm curious to how much this will affect it. Stock idle is 750rpms. I run at about 1500 for idle now. So I think I'll be okay. But I know jack poo poo about it.

And uhh, I think I'm going to try and mount a bank of these to replace all of the big relays:

Those SSRs are junk, and the ratings printed are :cough: optimistic :cough:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Running 2A at 15V, they'll probably last. Lots of cycles or higher loads, probably not. It's not like you're cheeping out on other poo poo. If trust a TE or Eaton much more, especially if they're automotive-rated.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Gotta love a manufacturer gently caress up. Just RC decay on those signals, too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Capture some signals on your scope and head over to the learning electronics megathread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

gently caress yeah, thanks.

And you thought car poo poo was a black hole...

If you want a good YouTube series to watch that's somewhat entertaining, EEVBlog is a good start. I started watching Dave years and years ago, and I've learned a lot from him. I really like his teardowns, because he's good at recognizing the different functional blocks and that poo poo makes troubleshooting your own stuff so much easier. If you've got a power problem, there's no reason to spend your first troubleshooting efforts on, say, a logic section. His accent is a hot/cold thing, and I don't mind it at all. His catchphrases can be annoying, but it's like AvE, you learn to ignore them or you stop watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC2DjFE7Xf11URZqWBigcVOQ
Fundamentals Friday are a good start, as is this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMXiD3dKYJc

Other channels:
ProtoG
FranLab
W2AEW
MrCarlson'sLab (He's not a serial killer, I promise)
AfroTechMods

There are dozens more.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Love the license plate, completely accurate.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Should we be honored that Banks was a total dick to everyone involved in this?
We supplied the dyno cell, we had nothing to do with those leaks, but everyone got poo poo on this Youtube show project. Whoopiee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjumzxI-Kko

He's awesome. The Hoonigans are morons (talented morons, but morons regardless), and the people they hired are scammers who know next to nothing about diesel tuning. Sorry the Redline name got dragged through the mud.

Smoke tune Bros should be dragged behind their obnoxiously loud and dirty trucks.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 8, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Stop me if i'm wrong. But it seems most of the quality of air has been coming with new vehicle regulations and not the guy with the built motor.

It's all additive. One jackass with a smoke-spewing diesel doesn't wreck the air nationwide, but the two on my street can be smelled for 15+ minutes every time they pass by. They're putting out 200x more pollutants than my stock Duramax because they want loud smoky trucks. Both are new, too. One Ford, one Dodge... Day one deleted and "tuned".

You should read a bit about the Port of Oakland and the health effects on predominantly minority-occupied neighborhoods. from the constant stream of truck and ship traffic. They've made big strides cleaning things up, but there's a way to go. Sadly, the law has to cover everyone, not just those that abuse the system.

Do I think CARB regs are over the top? Yes. Do I understand why they got passed into law? Yes. It sucks, but the rules are the rules. Register out of state, user a freight forwarder, or smuggle that poo poo yourself because commercial companies are going to comply with the law regardless of how dumb it is.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yeah, modifying the HMI parts always sucks. Not going bottom-hinge?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Roll the firmware back?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Jesus. What a bunch of morons. Did they even test the firmware? Glad rolling it back took care of the problem.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Did you do any burnouts?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
You love the D. I expected you would.

Seriously: congrats

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Any updates from the Land of the Mouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Rebuilt engine runs. Paint started to go and I opted for a color change. To stay low key, goodbye red. I may have some photos in a bit. I am doing the color change panel by panel. The color between panels match as I'm not doing any crazy metallics or anything, I was really worried that the color wouldn't match by painting it this way, but it is actually looking good. Plus I don't get any tape lines or bullshit half measured this way. Just a huge pain in the rear end.
I also have a PDR guy coming to knock a few bigger dents out before I continue painting.

RISE MY SON!

Glad to see you're still around and the car is being worked on. Photos would be great!