Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

The Cockler posted:

throwin mad shade, alan

what? he's my friend. I'm not insulting him nor anyone here at least not intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Alan 00X posted:

he's not. he's a victim of constant harassment via cyberbullying

If cyberbullying turns your friend into a racist who hides behind it 'ironically' in order to get some sort of thrill from being the bully for once, then it turns out he's not a very good person OP

you can find other people who 'call you on yr poo poo' that don't also enjoy being racist online

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

If cyberbullying turns your friend into a racist who hides behind it 'ironically' in order to get some sort of thrill from being the bully for once, then it turns out he's not a very good person OP

you can find other people who 'call you on yr poo poo' that don't also enjoy being racist online

yeah but we've been through a lot together. I don't throw people away because they have a minor problematic worldview.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
which races did he have a problem with specifically

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, you can come back from a Permaban really easily. You just have to not out yourselves as a permabanned user.

I guess it's harder for some people than others.

JK Fresco posted:

Agreed.

I would like to single out disgraced former mod Facts Are Useless as one of the worst offenders in this regard. He regularly permad people because he personally did not like them while allowing antisocial posting from his cronies a free pass.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

communist kangaroo posted:

which races did he have a problem with specifically

I'm not hear to rat my friend out to brother comrad

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Charles posted:

I guess it's harder for some people than others.

Well yeah, they're usually permabanned for good reason

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I've been probed for reverse racism once so really it could be anythin'.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

Who What Now posted:

Well yeah, they're usually permabanned for good reason

how do I put someone on ignore

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alan 00X posted:

how do I put someone on ignore
Go to "User Control Panel" at the top of the page, then "Edit Ignore List."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This forum is afraid of me. I've seen its true face. The threads are extended gutters and the gutters are full of shitposts and when the drains finally scab over all the shitposters will drown. The accumulated filth of all their "ironic" racism and mod sass will foam up about their waists and all the racists and pedos will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down, and whisper "No."

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

Go to "User Control Panel" at the top of the page, then "Edit Ignore List."

sounds like too much work than what it's worth

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Alan 00X posted:

yeah but we've been through a lot together. I don't throw people away because they have a minor problematic worldview.

By turning this into an issue of loyalty, you effectively spin it so that you can ignore any responsibility for taking further action

It's not about throwing people away, it's about drawing healthy boundaries. Who you choose to spend time around reflects on you and affects you.

It's also about learning that people/friendships grow and change, and sometimes friends grow apart bc their values change. That's just...a reality of adult relationships.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

By turning this into an issue of loyalty, you effectively spin it so that you can ignore any responsibility for taking further action

It's not about throwing people away, it's about drawing healthy boundaries. Who you choose to spend time around reflects on you and affects you.

It's also about learning that people/friendships grow and change, and sometimes friends grow apart bc their values change. That's just...a reality of adult relationships.

I can distinguish between what he happens to post online and my own views and decisions. He doesn't talk like that around me because I don't invite him to.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Alan 00X posted:

You can also click "Profile" under somebody's post then "Add User to Ignore List" or "Add User to Buddy List". I like Buddy List more

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
In general, if you find yourself using the sunk cost fallacy to justify continuing a relationship ('its not worth leaving bc I put so much time into it'), it's time to re-evaluate it

Alan 00X posted:

I can distinguish between what he happens to post online and my own views and decisions. He doesn't talk like that around me because I don't invite him to.

Uh

A racist not being racist around you doesn't make him not a racist

By putting up with him it still reflects on you.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 4, 2019

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Alan 00X posted:

It is. putting people on ignore is a sign of a weak constitution.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
while we're talking about unbanning people, don't people think it would be a net positive for this site if tiny brontosaurus came back

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

In general, if you find yourself using the sunk cost fallacy to justify continuing relationship ('its not worth leaving bc I put so much time into it'), it's time to re-evaluate it

Uh

A racist not being racist around you doesn't make him not a racist

By putting up with him it still reflects on you.

that's fine. I'm not winning any popularity contests anytime soon anyway
he's not racist around me unless I let him. he doesn't like go "I hate the lack of restriction on immigrants" not everything is said nor needs to be talked about. you can be friends with someone without racist dialog

Alan 00X fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 4, 2019

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'well I dun wanna be popular lol' That's again just another way to absolve yourself of any responsibility to take action, outside of whining in this thread

You're not fooling anyone but yourself

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

'well I dun wanna be popular lol' That's again just another way to absolve yourself of any responsibility to take action, outside of whining in this thread

You're not fooling anyone but yourself

why should I do anything? I don't really care what he believes, he's from the south. it's not really of my concern. I'm not required to give a poo poo dude

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm from the South too, that doesn't excuse anything, in fact it means he has a greater responsibility to not be a shithead bc of the reality of our racist past

You're full of excuses

Your friend was banned bc he's poo poo and you're unable to distinguish that. You give enough of a poo poo to ableeabloo about him being permabanned, so maybe actually try to do something of value and think about why instead of go to bat for a racist

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The_Continental posted:

When you block people you can still see thier posts when someone quotes them or if you reply to the thread, so it's not worth bothering with anyway.

Alan 00X posted:

why should I do anything? I don't really care what he believes, he's from the south. it's not really of my concern. I'm not required to give a poo poo dude

Just because my friend's house is on fire doesn't mean I have to inhale the smoke when I'm standing in the kitchen.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

I'm from the South too, that doesn't excuse anything, in fact it means he has a greater responsibility to not be a shithead bc of the reality of our racist past

You're full of excuses

Your friend was banned bc he's poo poo and you're unable to distinguish that. You give enough of a poo poo to ableeabloo about him being permabanned, so maybe actually try to do something of value and think about why instead of go to bat for a racist

they aren't excuses. it sounds like you're extra sensitive being from the south and you're overdoing the whole not being racist thing and I don't blame you for that. however life isn't necessarily that simple and you should stop trying to make people like you. your commitment to being other than your environment is brave and commendable, but don't think everyone has to feel the way you do

As for him being banned, I never said it wasn't fair.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
You're friends with a guy who, in his free time, decides to be racist online, bc you're too emotionally cowardly and lazy to make any personal change, out of a misguided and almost childish idea that amount of time knowing one another means you have certain obligations

The entire premise for this thread is hopelessly naive

Nah bro, not taking yr advice

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alan 00X posted:

they aren't excuses. it sounds like you're extra sensitive being from the south and you're overdoing the whole not being racist thing and I don't blame you for that. however life isn't necessarily that simple and you should stop trying to make people like you. your commitment to being other than your environment is brave and commendable, but don't think everyone has to feel the way you do

As for him being banned, I never said it wasn't fair.

If you have a friend that is racist and you just handwave that because "we don't need to talk about everything" then you're either a racist yourself or are okay with rascism which at the end of the day is the same thing.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

CPL593H posted:

If you have a friend that is racist and you just handwave that because "we don't need to talk about everything" then you're either a racist yourself or are okay with rascism which at the end of the day is the same thing.

it's not up to me to change people. all I can do is be me. I can still talk to people without touching into deep issues all the time

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yes but if you continue to actively seek them out, that is absolutely on you

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

You're friends with a guy who, in his free time, decides to be racist online, bc you're too emotionally cowardly and lazy to make any personal change, out of a misguided and almost childish idea that amount of time knowing one another means you have certain obligations

The entire premise for this thread is hopelessly naive

Nah bro, not taking yr advice

dude it's a joke topic. I don't care that he got permabanned I just thought it was funny to make a topic about it. you're the first person here that is trying to make it into a serious issue.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Bc casual racism isn't loving cool, don't be such a douche

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

Bc casual racism isn't loving cool, don't be such a douche

I never said it was and I said I'd admonish him for it anyway. I'm not "allowing" it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yooooou are when you're making excuses

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

Yooooou are when you're making excuses

calm down. it's not my job to change people lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The_Continental posted:

:hmmyes:

Also lol at Alex breaking kayfabe over getting called out

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
he literally ignores me 75 percent of the time anyway. even if I said something he could just pretend like he was ignoring me as usual lmao

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Alan 00X posted:

calm down. it's not my job to change people lol

You don't have to change anyone, that's not what I'm saying. But by staying friends with a racist, you are tacitly condoning/endorsing his beliefs hth

Basically you suck too, you just don't wanna admit it bc that's like, hard thinking and stuff

Why do that when you can just atlas shrug it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spins posted:

Haha
Burt tried to fix his av

It’s perfect. Thanks admins!

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

You don't have to change anyone, that's not what I'm saying. But by staying friends with a racist, you are tacitly condoning/endorsing his beliefs hth

Basically you suck too, you just don't wanna admit it bc that's like, hard thinking and stuff

Why do that when you can just atlas shrug it

I know I suck too. Why do you think I can only make friends with an racist incel and even then he ignores me most of the time lmao.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alan 00X posted:

he literally ignores me 75 percent of the time anyway. even if I said something he could just pretend like he was ignoring me as usual lmao

lol not even your "friend" likes you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

Who What Now posted:

lol not even your "friend" likes you

he says he doesn't like me and only talks to me because I talk to him