Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Telebite posted:

pitch black at 6:00 pm is one of the best things in life

Unironically this. Looking up from some bullshit to see how dark it is and being like 'gently caress I have to go to bed soon' but then you look at the clock and you're like 'gently caress yeah I have the rest of my life'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
My greater point is that I like DST but I don't like that we have to switch to it if that makes sense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bradzilla posted:

How many clocks y'all need to set manually? I have my oven, microwave, a digital clock and my car. My car is a 2018 model that somehow still has to be set manually.

Before moving: the oven, the car

Now: nothing

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Daylight saving time actually started as a fuel-saving measure by the Germans in World War 1. So whenever you have to change the clocks and things get all screwy, the Kaiser wins!!

Don't let him win! Enlist today!

It really was a WW1 effort, there's some posters about it too. It's weird.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
I always celebrate DST by camping out with a flask and a sleeping bag. I wait until 2/1 am then I shout "Yay we lost an hour!" then I go to bed

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
My dog was very upset about having to wait an extra hour for dinner. That should be justification enough.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dogmeat posted:

You can not do daylight savings time. That's allowed. My state just voted to do permanent daylight saving time but that is federally prohibited so I just don't know what the gently caress. Everyone was excited we wouldn't have to change our clocks, because ultimately that's all anyone cares about, but it didn't do anything. It's not like it was a surprise either, it said in the text of the proposition that we couldn't do gently caress all about it unless congress did a thing, which is impossible. But instead of saying 'Ok let's just go to standard only,' to actually accomplish the thing that everyone wants, we just voted to do a thing we can't do.

So tell me this.

Arizona doesn't do time changes.
In the 60's when the unified time act went into place and the US codified its time zones, it gave states the option to opt out of daylight savings time. Arizona, who'd been participating in it since 1919 said "Sure we'll keep doing it." Then more than a year later after it was a law, said "Nope not doing it no mo' " and congress didn't do jack poo poo about it, and Arizona still doesn't have to adhere by it. So why does your stupid state need some special provision?

e: oh wait, is your state in Dixie? Uncle Sam is probably worried you're getting "thoughts" again and so wants to have Fed oversight. If you were in Minnesota or something they'd probably shake your hand.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 4, 2019

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

HJE-Cobra posted:

It really was a WW1 effort, there's some posters about it too. It's weird.

Why didn't they turn back time two hours and get one up on the Hun? :thunk:

Then the Germans turn their clocks back two hours to win even more, and so on.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
falling back is OK but springing forward is some straight up bullshit

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

We should just keep falling back and then it's high noon at 2AM or something

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Tbh I think we should push back time by another hour. We can save even more energy that way in the summer. The sooner the sun sets, the sooner it get cooler thus less need for AC use. That alone will easily help us save energy and save the planet!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Burt Sexual posted:

I’m tired, but it’s 8pm. Even considering age. It’s hosed bullshit.

I addressed this by imbibing a lot of alcohol last night.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

(over a Garfield .gif) You don't hate DST, you hate capitalism.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I don't understand the whole "extra hour" of daylight bit. It's... the same number of hours of daylight??? Changing all the clocks doesn't change the position of the Sun.

This whole thing doesn't make any sense in the first place!!!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

HJE-Cobra posted:

I don't understand the whole "extra hour" of daylight bit. It's... the same number of hours of daylight??? Changing all the clocks doesn't change the position of the Sun.

This whole thing doesn't make any sense in the first place!!!

I get the extra hour thing. The sun stays out later, so people get more good daylight hours because you're not wasting them in the morning doing bullshit morning things like sleeping until 5 minutes before you have to get to work.
What I don't get is why we turn it off in the winter when we need it the most. Oh great, now the sun sets at 4pm and I'm driving home in the dark. At least the sun was out at like 10:30pm in the summer. Let me just use that daylight to get through the winter.

e: if they really wanted to save daylight, they'd put the spring forward at like 2pm. Make everyone get off work early.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 4, 2019

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Time systems are like free speech. You are free to decide it’s whatever time you want it to be and we are free to fire your rear end for not showing up to work on time.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Who calls it Daylight Savings time???

:rant:

That is the correct terminology.

Burt Sexual posted:

I poop at 735 central time. Every day. Wtf am I doing tomorrow

When changing from or to Daylight Savings time, coax your poop out an hour early with a laxative, or delay it an hour with an anti-diarrheal or cork, as appropriate. The government will send an inspector to check you did this.

As a nightowl I like the extra hour of evening daylight a lot, and am happy pooping at any hour.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 4, 2019

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Oops.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

BigBadSteve posted:

That is the correct terminology.

You are objectively incorrect.

Also, it's incredible how few people seem to realize the "S" in EST/CST/etc stands for "Standard" and that EDT/CDT/etc ("Daylight") actually exist for denoting time zones while in daylight saving time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

HJE-Cobra posted:

Daylight saving time actually started as a fuel-saving measure by the Germans in World War 1. So whenever you have to change the clocks and things get all screwy, the Kaiser wins!!

Don't let him win! Enlist today!

drat, always knew Lady Liberty was hiding some fine tiddies under that robe

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mooey Cow posted:

Why didn't they turn back time two hours and get one up on the Hun? :thunk:

Then the Germans turn their clocks back two hours to win even more, and so on.

If they kept up at it until they were turning their clock back multiple days and then years eventually they could have set their clocks back to 1914 and saved the Archduke!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

drat, always knew Lady Liberty was hiding some fine tiddies under that robe

I like that the answer to 'brutish militarism' is "ENLIST IN THE MILITARY"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Heh, we smartly got rid of DST. :smug: :smuggo: yesterday was the last day we'll ever have to change clocks. poo poo was way too loving confusing, anyway. Why turn the clocks ahead we just end up turning them back. Ugh. SO STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey why is the summer sun rising at 4:30AM what the gently caress

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Big Beef City posted:

Fight fire with fire, baby!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Galaxy brain: move New England out of Eastern time and put it in Atlantic time, where it should be. Time zones are too loving wide.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Detroit is in the same time zone as Maine lol

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

It was the War on War.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
what kind of baby do you have to be to complain about getting an extra hour in bed, lmao

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hammerite posted:

what kind of baby do you have to be to complain about getting an extra hour in bed, lmao

I didn’t though, I got up an hour earlier than I should’ve. I’m much better now I acclimated with a full non time hosed night of sleep. Thanks.

Fe those one hour time changes when I fly to dc are a loving bear.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Luckyellow posted:

Tbh I think we should push back time by another hour. We can save even more energy that way in the summer. The sooner the sun sets, the sooner it get cooler thus less need for AC use.

Likewise.

We're going to get 14 hours of sunlight no matter what in the middle of summer, but it doesn't even start to cool down until after 10pm during daylight saving and we don't usually reach our minimum until about 5am. An extra hour of sleep during the cool of the day would probably benefit most people more than an extra hour of recreation time in the evening.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Big Beef City posted:

So tell me this.

Arizona doesn't do time changes.
In the 60's when the unified time act went into place and the US codified its time zones, it gave states the option to opt out of daylight savings time. Arizona, who'd been participating in it since 1919 said "Sure we'll keep doing it." Then more than a year later after it was a law, said "Nope not doing it no mo' " and congress didn't do jack poo poo about it, and Arizona still doesn't have to adhere by it. So why does your stupid state need some special provision?

e: oh wait, is your state in Dixie? Uncle Sam is probably worried you're getting "thoughts" again and so wants to have Fed oversight. If you were in Minnesota or something they'd probably shake your hand.

No it's California. We need permission because we voted to go to full DST which is not allowed in the unified time act, only full Standard (like Arizona).

There were like 4 or 5 states that were supposed to switch to Standard Time only, but they all hosed it up in their state legislatures already and I think every attempt is dead. Which is pretty sad since Arizona could pull it off.

There's also a handful of states that are maybe going to end run Congress by voting for Standard Time, but in the time zone to the east of them. So Atlantic Standard Time all the time = Eastern DST and only requires the approval of the Department of Transportation, and not Congress. It's getting pretty stupid.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Dick Sucking Time

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Agreed OP but time zones are bullshit as well. Why is it different time in different places? Is it so folks from Malawi can get references like "oh man I had to wake up at 7" as told by Americans? Just make one time for Earth, this is what time it is, in Mozambique we get to work at this time, in Cleveland it's this other time, and that's okay.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Just permanently set it to Daylight Saving Time and leave it. Who needs extra daylight in the morning? You're only doing morning things anyway like getting up and going to work.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

SimonCat posted:

Just permanently set it to Daylight Saving Time and leave it. Who needs extra daylight in the morning? You're only doing morning things anyway like getting up and going to work.

The one I heard was "but the kids, they're gonna be going to school in the dark!!" here in Canada where we get 8 hours of "sun" in the winter. It's all bullshit.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Don Pigeon posted:

The one I heard was "but the kids, they're gonna be going to school in the dark!!" here in Canada where we get 8 hours of "sun" in the winter. It's all bullshit.
i want a refund

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Agreed OP but time zones are bullshit as well. Why is it different time in different places? Is it so folks from Malawi can get references like "oh man I had to wake up at 7" as told by Americans? Just make one time for Earth, this is what time it is, in Mozambique we get to work at this time, in Cleveland it's this other time, and that's okay.

If they refuse to adopt one earth time, the least they could do is have timezones make sense. Right now it's just a bunch of arbitrary seconds. It's not like you can take one step into another timezone and its suddenly an hour difference. Each step towards a direction will progressively a different time of day. We can have a timezone for every minute of the day, sensibly dividing the earth smoothly.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Don Pigeon posted:

It's bizarre, cars have headlights, most people work inside. "Save" the daylight for personal time at the end of the day.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

SimonCat posted:

It's bizarre, cars have headlights, most people work inside. "Save" the daylight for personal time at the end of the day.
speak for yourself, my car is matte black, no lights, lots of pointy edges and operates like an f-117 stealth bomber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

popping in to reiterate that standard time is the one that sucks, DST is good