Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
It was dark before I even got out of work, this time of year is the god drat worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LGD posted:

popping in to reiterate that standard time is the one that sucks, DST is good

I was going for more the flip flopping of time thing, but yeah.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I think dst is good, Burt.

I'm more mad there are places that have opted out, than i am that it exists.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Why are we stealing daylight from the winter in order to redistribute it to the summer? That's regressive taxation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I live in a state with no DST and it also sucks because I always had to adjust to the new television schedule.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Why are we stealing daylight from the winter in order to redistribute it to the summer? That's regressive taxation.

Because nobody goes outside intentionally in the winter, hth

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Fenrir posted:

It was dark before I even got out of work, this time of year is the god drat worst

Yea it loving sucks

I hate farmers

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If people don't save Daylight one day, daylight it will be gone forever.

110% support Daylight savings.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I live in a state with no DST and it also sucks because I always had to adjust to the new television schedule.

Well there's only 2 of them so it's not hard to guess

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sure is dark out

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

numberoneposter posted:

sure is dark out

Would be a real shame if something were to happen

object-a
Aug 3, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
5:47 my rear end

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I went to go change my watch's clock but it turns out the battery died 5 days ago or so so I don't have to change my watch for DST ever again.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

I say we get rid of time zones too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

sure is dark out

Have you called Sears yet?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Tristesse posted:

I went to go change my watch's clock but it turns out the battery died 5 days ago or so so I don't have to change my watch for DST ever again.

The correct course of action is to have a bunch of automatic watches that run out of spring power regularly because you wear a different one each day, meaning you have to reset them every time you wear them anyway.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Fenrir posted:

Working night shift in the winter is super depressing. I wake up in the afternoon, and it's already dark. I work all night, and then it's still dark when I get home and go to sleep. Not very good for the ol' circadian rhythm.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like it when it gets dark early

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

BurgerQuest posted:

well where i'm from it means going to the beach at 8pm is viable, it rules.

This is so loving crazy to me bc I don’t set foot in the ocean after 3pm bc it’s loving freezing. I’m not from Finland or some bullshit either I’m from the Gold Coast. I tried drinking concrete but I wound up in hospital and they’re even colder!!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Zombie Guy posted:

Working night shift in the winter is super depressing. I wake up in the afternoon, and it's already dark. I work all night, and then it's still dark when I get home and go to sleep. Not very good for the ol' circadian rhythm.

It’s pretty grim. This week they have me on 12’s instead of 10’s, so I’m driving to work in the dark and getting home when it’s light out and my brain has no idea what the gently caress.

I’m very much for making daylight time permanent. Light later in the day beats early morning light every time. The one consolation is my inner pedant no longer gets annoyed when people say “eastern standard time”, since it’s actually accurate now.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

by grabthars hammer
what a savings

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Queensland doesn't do DST which is dumb but also means you can get up and go for a surf at 5.30am in full light before work so it's actually pretty good.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
here is my story about switching from DST to ST:

In college, I started playing a MUD regularly, and I'd stay up late playing. I was playing on my parents' Windows 95 machine.

When 2 AM rolled around, the computer reset the clock and flashed a message that it had automatically set the time back -- happy Standard Time! I thought this was pretty slick, since this was still an era when every clock had to be reset manually.

I kept playing, and when 2 AM rolled around again, the computer reset the clock and flashed a message that it had automatically set the time back -- happy Standard Time!

So I manually reset the time to 2 am, and the computer reset the clock to 1 and flashed a message that it had automatically set the time back -- happy Standard Time!

So I manually reset the clock to a little past 2, but [etc].

Rebooting it solved the problem (but cut into my MUDding time).

Thank you for reading my real-life episode of 90s Black Mirror.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

I live in England and it's poo poo having night time start at 4:30pm just so old people can have daylight at 6am.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My state voted for permanent DST, but why? Abolishing the pointless twice per year clock change, that’s good. Why keep the time on DST though. Why not standard? I mean, it’s loving CALLED standard

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Split the difference. Terrible people get a half hour more sun in the morning, and good decent normal people get a half hour extra int he evening.
Let's just move the drat clocks forward 30 minutes and then leave them the gently caress alone.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im ok with dumb people being all mad about how smart people are making them have better lives and enjoying drinking outside late at night and its still light out instead of sleeping through that hour of daylight

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
We should just keep having daylight savings every month and keep moving the clocks back an hour each time.

In two years, we'll have saved an entire day!

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

gary oldmans diary posted:

im ok with dumb people being all mad about how smart people are making them have better lives and enjoying drinking outside late at night and its still light out instead of sleeping through that hour of daylight

No see, the terrible people need to be up before me to make my coffee and breakfast and stuff.
Wait... they would be up anyway...because... they're terrible... I'm confused...
drat You Daylight Saving(s) Time!!!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay_Zombie posted:

Split the difference. Terrible people get a half hour more sun in the morning, and good decent normal people get a half hour extra int he evening.
Let's just move the drat clocks forward 30 minutes and then leave them the gently caress alone.

I’m good with this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gutcruncher posted:

My state voted for permanent DST, but why? Abolishing the pointless twice per year clock change, that’s good. Why keep the time on DST though. Why not standard? I mean, it’s loving CALLED standard

Or just called daylight time standard time, since it’s in use for the majority of the year. Then just change standard time’s name to “loving dark misery time” and you’re golden.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Join such amazing places as Saskatchewan and Arizona in not doing dst I'm sure it's all just coincidental they're full of poo poo people

Actually no it's is a direct causation

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Join such amazing places as Saskatchewan and Arizona in not doing dst I'm sure it's all just coincidental they're full of poo poo people

Actually no it's is a direct causation

Hawaii owns and doesn't do that stupid poo poo either

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Why don't we just stop the earth from moving and everyone can move to the region that has the amount of sunlight they like

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It's loving dope how now it is like legit night time when I leave the office

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Zombie Guy posted:

After doing that shift for a while the sunlight actually burns my pale white skin.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bump

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
can confirm, DST is still bullshit

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gaylight savings time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hell Yeah posted:

gaylight savings time

WOW!!!!