Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I decided to go full retro and prepared "Riebelesuppe", a typical farmer's food in Southern Geermany. It might be translated as "soup made ot of rubbed things" and might be one of the easiest soups possible.

Heat up a broth of your choice - pork, beef, chicken - any meat will do, but vegetable broth is ok, too. While it's on it's way to boil, you chop up an onion and prepare the rubbed thingies.

You take as much regular flour as you need, add eggs and some salt - and hope that you get the consistency of the dough jussst right. It has to be dry enough to produce little dough flakes when you rub it between your fingers and palms. The flakes should (on average) not be bigger than an M&M - if they are still bigger, you need more flour.

You can add the onions, but also throw them in seperately. Now just throw that stuff into the boiling broth, stir it a little and give it 5 minutes on reduced heat.

the dough will turn into little noodly thingies. With the heat gone, you can add some herbs and some cream if you feel like it:

Now it's time to serve ... Maggie time.

Very filling and depending on the broth quality also very good! Pro tip: If you add some small meat pieces which were ideally involvved in producing the broth, it's even better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Potato leek soup adding the ranks. Somehow at 3 in 10 days?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just sealed up the pressure cooker with a batch of red bean and quinoa soup.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SavageGentleman posted:

I decided to go full retro and prepared "Riebelesuppe", a typical farmer's food in Southern Geermany. It might be translated as "soup made ot of rubbed things" and might be one of the easiest soups possible.

Very filling and depending on the broth quality also very good! Pro tip: If you add some small meat pieces which were ideally involvved in producing the broth, it's even better!

That is just enough like spatzel to make me want to eat all of it. I have some lovely jars of pork stock in the freezer...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hoto!

Some blurry ingredients: onions, daikon, potato, carrots, green onion, kabocha, shiitake, shimeji, aburaage, fish cake. Broth is niboshi dashi, kombu and dried sardines??anchovies?? they get kind of used interchangeably idk. Small fish.

Cracked open a new bag of two year aged miso.

Hoto! I used kalguksu from the Korean store instead of making hoto noodles because I am lazy. There's also thin sliced pork and napa cabbage at this point.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Red bean and quinoa soup.
I made two batches of this today.

One for myself and one for a friend just out of the hospital.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

sweat poteto posted:

Biscuits are terrific with soup. I like em cold though. Cold bread hot soup is the best.

Edit: shiiit :toxx:

Cook or Die toxx buddies!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Zanna posted:

gently caress you, man, I was gonna make caldo verde! :argh: Looks great though! Never seen a version with beans before.

Anyway, I souped; kind of a mash-up of chicken noodle, zuppa toscana, and caldo verde, with chicken thighs, linguiça, collard greens, egg noodles, cannellini beans, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, white wine, and stock.

ive never seen a caldo verde with egg noodles :shrug: though i now I want a pages long derail about beans belonging or not belonging in kale soup. Yours looks drat tasty too!

(Beans are pretty superfluous since there is a starchy component already, but it was how I was taught, though it very well could be a New England Portuguese/Azorian addition to the pot)

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

ive never seen a caldo verde with egg noodles :shrug: though i now I want a pages long derail about beans belonging or not belonging in kale soup. Yours looks drat tasty too!

(Beans are pretty superfluous since there is a starchy component already, but it was how I was taught, though it very well could be a New England Portuguese/Azorian addition to the pot)

Nah, the egg noodles are part of the chicken noodle part of the mash-up; the caldo verde bit of mine is really just the linguiça and the finely shredded greens. And it wouldn't surprise me if it's an Azorean thing; I've got a recipe for an Azorean bean, potato, and kale soup that the author describes as a more rustic, heartier version of the mainland caldo verde.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I made a big pot of zuppa toscana. Hot italian sausage, onion, garlic, potato, kale, chicken broth, red pepper, fennel seed, umami powder, a little absinthe to deglaze, and finish with milk or cream.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I made a big pot of a west African peanut soup :hellyeah:

Onion, garlic, ginger, chilies sauteed up, spiced with hot paprika/coriander/white pepper, then a bunch of sweet potato, tomato stuff (canned + tomato paste), veg broth, peanut butter, peanuts, collards, and vinegar.

I'm gunna make this again but use more heat and vinegar; everything else is just flavors I goddamn crave all the time. It's everything I need when winter's rolling in. Or, it'd be everything I'd need if winter wasn't rolling in too. Plus, it was an awesome excuse to make some good vegetable stock.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Zanna posted:

Nah, the egg noodles are part of the chicken noodle part of the mash-up; the caldo verde bit of mine is really just the linguiça and the finely shredded greens. And it wouldn't surprise me if it's an Azorean thing; I've got a recipe for an Azorean bean, potato, and kale soup that the author describes as a more rustic, heartier version of the mainland caldo verde.

I'm betting that's why I make it the way I do. I married the granddaughter of an Azorian immigrant to Massachusetts and my recipe is based on her mom's.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

I made a big pot of a west African peanut soup :hellyeah:

Onion, garlic, ginger, chilies sauteed up, spiced with hot paprika/coriander/white pepper, then a bunch of sweet potato, tomato stuff (canned + tomato paste), veg broth, peanut butter, peanuts, collards, and vinegar.

I'm gunna make this again but use more heat and vinegar; everything else is just flavors I goddamn crave all the time. It's everything I need when winter's rolling in. Or, it'd be everything I'd need if winter wasn't rolling in too. Plus, it was an awesome excuse to make some good vegetable stock.
:hellyeah:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I souped again and the other person who tried it accused me of trying to kill her with chilies so this is soup and die.

It is not a particular soup, just a jjigae with what I had sitting around. Firm tofu, aburaage, fish cakes, enoki mushrooms, potato, sweet potato, onions, kimchi, garaeddeok, garlic. Broth is dashi with soy sauce, brown rice vinegar, gochujang, kimchi juice, and sesame oil.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
In this soupy weather all those cabbages, green beans, green cabbages and so on are no longer available in good quality.

So, more pea soup for me:
This time with chicken legs, carrots, potatoes and onions:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

I made some borscht with an assortment of oven roasted veggies. Good way of cleaning out the pantry.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
First, I made soegogi muguk. It was so bad I'm going to assume the purple :airquote:daikon:airquote: radishes from the farmer's market weren't real daikons, or were another blander variety than what the recipe was expecting. It tasted like unseasoned brisket chunks boiled in salty purple water. I saved the meat for future chili and tossed the rest, so I'm not counting this towards my soup :toxx:

New parent desperation dinner (in other words: "oh poo poo I have this squash and also some chicken that's about to go bad, and the baby is actually sleeping"), a study in brown:

Chef John's roasted butternut soup adapted to what I had on hand, plus a pan roasted chicken thigh with white wine lemon butter sauce, and a store-bought garlic knot (hey I said new parent OKAY?!).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

First, I made soegogi muguk. It was so bad I'm going to assume the purple :airquote:daikon:airquote: radishes from the farmer's market weren't real daikons, or were another blander variety than what the recipe was expecting. It tasted like unseasoned brisket chunks boiled in salty purple water.

Korea has a lot of bland-rear end "thing floating in water" soups and that's one of them, you didn't do anything wrong. Also maangchi's recipes are generally not very good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SOUP FOR THE SOUP GOD!!!!

Cauliflower paprikash soup w/dumplings.

Poached some chicken and added it because I thought I’d want some meat but it really doesn’t need in. Really good and pretty quick and easy.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Karfiolleves-Paprika-Spiced-Cauliflower-Soup/

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea has a lot of bland-rear end "thing floating in water" soups and that's one of them, you didn't do anything wrong. Also maangchi's recipes are generally not very good.

:lol: I made it sight unseen because she posted on reddit that it was her recommendation for babby's first Korean cooking. I should have been clued in when she also said it is sometimes used as literal baby food.

The kimchi I bought from the fermentation dude at my farmer's market is extremely excellent, so the project wasn't a total loss.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koreans often have a strong "our food is too powerful for foreigners" belief and anything recommended as a way into Korean cuisine is going to be bland garbage.

If you got good kimchi, try the classic: https://www.koreanbapsang.com/kimchi-jjigae-kimchi-stew/

This isn't how I make it, but Korean Bapsang's recipes that I have tried were all very much like what I used to eat in Korea. Maangchi's are not. The kimchi jjigae I do is a lot stronger than what you usually get in Korea.

If your kimchi isn't very sour yet, add some vinegar. It's still tasty even if it isn't sour though. And use dashi instead of water, just the regular old Ajinomoto powder is fine for this because the kimchi is going to wipe out the subtle flavors you get from properly made dashi. Chicken stock's good too, not traditional. Kimchi jjigae is very flexible, go hog wild.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 16, 2019

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

It’s a chilly Fall day and my Khao Piak Sen is simmering. Never heard of this until I came across a recipe the other day but it looks and smells excellent. Excited to eat a soup in a few hours.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

drat this was good. Broth had an amazing flavor and the garnishes (especially the fried shallots) were great - definitely will be doing this again.

e: fixed lovely images

Jato fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 17, 2019

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

:lol: I made it sight unseen because she posted on reddit that it was her recommendation for babby's first Korean cooking. I should have been clued in when she also said it is sometimes used as literal baby food.

The kimchi I bought from the fermentation dude at my farmer's market is extremely excellent, so the project wasn't a total loss.

I generally see a soup recipe listing in its ingredients "7 cups water" and I would run the other direction. At the least the kimchi delivered.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm gonna try Ramsay's broccoli SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUP. Gives me an excuse to finally buy a blender, too.

Plan:

- buy a few heads of brocc
- buy a blender
- boil the brocc
- save some brocc water
- blend the brocc with some brocc water
- season the brocc
- eat the brocc

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 17, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I'm gonna try Ramsay's broccoli SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUP. Gives me an excuse to finally buy a blender, too.

Plan:

- buy a few heads of brocc
- buy a blender
- boil the brocc
- save some brocc water
- blend the brocc with some brocc water
- season the brocc
- eat the brocc

Brocc-on!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

POLLYANNA'S BROCCOLI BROCCOLI BROCCOLI AND BROCCOLI SOUP BY GORDON RAMSAY

Apparently, all you really need to make broccoli soup is water, broccoli florets, seasoning, and a blender. Seems like a good choice for a newbie home cook.

INGREDIENTS

- 5 heads of broccoli
- Water
- Salt
- Pepper (not pictured)
- EXTRA CREDIT: Goat cheese (not pictured yet)

INSTRUCTIONS

Supposedly, the stuff you want to use for broccoli soup are the florets of the broccoli, rather than the stems. In the video, Gordon only uses the florets, so we'll prep the broccoli by separating florets from stems.

Disclaimer: I hosed this up a little. If you want to learn how to cook this, rather than laugh at me, watch Gordon's video instead of reading this.

Hold the head/crown of broccoli upside down, and cut off the florets (flowery bunchy parts) right where they connect to the stem, roughly around where that awful knife cut is. Cut off one floret at a time (like the ones at the bottom of the picture), spinning the broccoli head to move to the next floret. At some point, you'll have just a tight bunch of tiny florets at the tip, so just cut the tip off outright.

This is where you want to end up: a bunch of florets in a bowl, and a collection of crunchy, fibrous stems on the side.

Fill a pot with water, and add salt. I added about two of the handfuls as seen in the picture, and my hands are not large.

Do not do what I do and use this much goddamn water for the broccoli florets, and especially don't put the broccoli florets in before the water is boiling. The broccoli should take roughly 3~4 minutes to cook in the boiling, salted water, and this is not what happened for me.

Set a timer for 4 minutes, and wait until the timer goes off.

After the timer goes off, check your broccoli by pushing a knife through a broccoli floret. If the knife doesn't easily cut through the floret, the floret is not fully cooked, and you need to cook for longer.

My florets were not cooked, and my water was not boiling. Add 3 more minutes.

Florets still not cooked, water still not boiling. Add more goddamn time until you get a clue and realize you have too much water and it's never gonna get to a boil.

Your broccoli florets are done once they are tender (i.e. cut easily but not too easily with a knife) and once they look deep green like this.

Drain the broccoli florets, reserving some of the broccoli water. You'll need to add some amount of water once you're blending the broccoli, and you might as well use the already-hot water it was cooked in.

Spoon the broccoli into the blender, smushing them down to fit if need be.

It's fine, they'll puree anyway.

Add enough of the leftover broccoli bathwater to more easily blend the broccoli and get something approaching the consistency of a soup. This is necessary because we are making a soup, remember?

This was something like 2-3 cups, I didn't really measure it.

Hold down the lid of the blender with your hand, and pulse the blender a few times. This lets the brocc and broccwater at the bottom of the blender incorporate enough so that you don't get water and brocc flying everywhere once you set this to blend continuously.

Set the blender to blend on medium-to-high, enough to blend all the brocc and broccwater together. Pause the blending every few seconds to make sure all the broccoli is being blended, pushing the brocc on top down if necessary.

Once your broccoli has a consistency like this, it's finished blending.

As you must do for any dish you make, taste it for seasoning before you declare it complete. In my case, it still needed salt - the salt in the broccwater wasn't enough.

In my experience, soup needs to be seasoned (i.e. have salt added) pretty heavily. Here's my rule of thumb for seasoning anything: whatever you make, it should be just almost too salty in order for it to be properly seasoned. This means you should add salt slowly, and add a bit at a time until you reach the right level of seasoning.

Soup will require a lot of salt, even the amount I made here. I ended up adding something like 2~3 tablespoons total, but don't trust my measurements.

You can just pulse the blender to incorporate the salt, by the way.

Once the soup is seasoned, pour into a bowl.

Crack some pepper over the bowl, and you've made broccoli soup!!!! From basically just broccoli!!!!

EXTRA CREDIT

Thanks to being well seasoned with salt and pepper, the broccoli soup has a good amount of salt and heat (via the pepper). However, it could stand to benefit from some fat and acid.

This is where the goat cheese comes in. The creaminess of the cheese along with the acidity of its cultured-ness will add the last two components that will bring the dish in harmony or some bullshit like that.

Stick a knife under hot water to heat it up, and cut some slices from the goat cheese. Lament that it wasn't hot enough to prevent the slices from breaking apart anyway.

Place on and/or clumsily crumble into your soup, and enjoy.

Oh yeah, and

Save the rest of the broccoli soup in a mason jar for later.

Wonder what the gently caress you're going to do with all these broccoli stems.

VERDICT

Yup, it's broccoli soup. Nice and simple, and it didn't require onions or parsley or chicken bouillon or any of that stuff to be good. The goat cheese was a genuinely good addition: it melted in the hot soup, adding some creaminess and acidity to it that really helped it go down. I'd make this again, sure!

---

NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A couple observations from the above:

- I forgot to put a lid over the pot, preventing it from coming up to a boil faster and reducing the cooking time. Definitely do that.
- My soup didn't quite reach the creamy-looking consistency that Ramsay got: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A&t=3m52s and it was still slightly grainy. Supposedly blending the broccoli while it was hot would solve that, but maybe it wasn't enough? Mighta been due to the blender itself or the amount of time I blended it for, I dunno. How the heck did he get that consistency? It almost looks like a green tea pudding or something.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I really liked her dakbokkeutang recipe, but it is the only version I've ever tried, and only then because it looked ridiculous when Chris from Bon Appetit tried to recreate it from touch, smell, and flavor. Bonus, it's kind of a soup!

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakbokkeumtang

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

A couple observations from the above:

- I forgot to put a lid over the pot, preventing it from coming up to a boil faster and reducing the cooking time. Definitely do that.
- My soup didn't quite reach the creamy-looking consistency that Ramsay got: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A&t=3m52s and it was still slightly grainy. Supposedly blending the broccoli while it was hot would solve that, but maybe it wasn't enough? Mighta been due to the blender itself or the amount of time I blended it for, I dunno. How the heck did he get that consistency? It almost looks like a green tea pudding or something.
I've made a similar soup several times before and the creaminess he gets is largely due to the quality of his blender. That said, you can strain it after it's blended through a sieve to get out any lumps that still exist; it's not going to be as smooth, but it'll smooth the hell out of it somewhat.

I like blending it with some fats instead of broccoli water. I'll crumble some goat cheese and some ricotta through and wind up with a bowl of the richest greensauce, that just needs a little bit of aleppo sprinkled on top and a bed nearby that I can pass out in afterwards.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 17, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

I really liked her dakbokkeutang recipe, but it is the only version I've ever tried, and only then because it looked ridiculous when Chris from Bon Appetit tried to recreate it from touch, smell, and flavor. Bonus, it's kind of a soup!

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakbokkeumtang

I have not made this recipe but it looks nothing whatsoever like any dakdoritang/dakbokkeumtang I've ever had, and I have had a lot of dakdoritang.

Not to bang on too much you can come to the Korean thread for more discussion of maangchi being bad. I hate that she is the breakout English recipe person.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I made some chicken soup

First some chicken stock in the instant pot

Sauteed the veggies (I cooked the onions and mushrooms first, then added the rest)

The finished soup

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I have not made this recipe but it looks nothing whatsoever like any dakdoritang/dakbokkeumtang I've ever had, and I have had a lot of dakdoritang.

Not to bang on too much you can come to the Korean thread for more discussion of maangchi being bad. I hate that she is the breakout English recipe person.

Good to know! I'll say hey there

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I recommend starting with Korean Bapsang anyone is looking for recipes.

Edit: welp, guess I'm gonna make soup sometime before December now.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I chose to live.

Tuscan potato soup... though I don't think it is remotely authentically Tuscan.

Forgot to do a pre-prep shot.

Pretty soup.

With some Romano cheese on top.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Too many posts to quote. I :love: all your soups.

It's cold as a witch's teat here and my heating broke so, if I can manage to cook while wearing about 14 layers of clothing, then...

Resting Lich Face posted:

Cook or Die toxx buddies!

:toxx: me, bitches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xDKt82kgzY

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Here we are, two pages and just about two thirds of the way through the month, and here is how our soup thread is going.

In the has souped category we have a few double soupers, and two free from the shackles of their toxx clauses:

• toplitzin - soup, soup again
  • Cavenagh - soup, soup again
  • Grand Fromage - soup, soup again
  • Kaiser Schnitzel - soup, soup again
  • VictualSquid - soup, soup again
  • Liquid Communism - soup
  • scuz - soup
  • Whalley - soup
  • Nephzinho - soup
  • The Glumslinger - soup
  • Eat This Glob - soup
  • Drink and Fight - soup
  • vuk83 - soup
  • SavageGentleman - soup
  • Zanna - soup
  • THE MACHO MAN - soup
  • Nine of Eight - soup
  • Discussion Quorum - soup
  • Pollyanna - soup
  • Jato - soup

• sweat poteto - toxx - soup
  • Resting Lich Face - toxx - soup

And as of this post, we have the following in the No Soup Bucket, including 2 toxx soups:
  • Serendipitaet
  • Suspect Bucket
  • topenga
  • Waci
  • Bliss Authority
  • PT6A
  • The Aardvark
  • bartlebee
  • Casu Marzu

• Discussion Quorum - toxx
  • franco - toxx

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Wayta soup, everyone! And for you non-soupers, we believe in you, you can do it :toot:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: welp, guess I'm gonna make soup sometime before December now.

I was lazy and it's cold out, so I did a quick kimchi jjigae for lunch while working from home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I bought a few too many butternut squashes

So I decided to make roasted butternut squash soup. Super easy. Just sautéed some onions, bloomed some spices, and roasted my squash, and then threw it all in the dutch oven. Let it simmer in some beef stock

When the squash was super tender, I went ahead and blended it all up and added a little bit of cayenne

I also made a gorgeous loaf of bread... that sort of collapsed when I cut into it. Not sure if I overproved it or what.