Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So we've hit the second page and no one is posting any pretty pictures, boo.

At first I thought the secret to speed was always going to be minimizing the number of emitters used and multiplying.

But the more I play around with Shunt H, the more it seems that high speed solutions aren't going to revolve around minimizing interactions, but moving Hydrogen to where you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'll make some when I get home. Parallelism like that only works on the first few simple molecules imo. For fast cycle counts aim to minimize emitter and molecule movement and maximize H manipulation, as you said.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Oh poo poo I didn't realize shunting hydrogen can move it more than one hex.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
oh yes inject this game right into me right now please

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Me, after shaving off 1 cycle to go from 60 to 59 in ethanol: I am a genius
The next day, after seeing somebody else get a 48: I am a moron

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dr. Stab posted:

On another discord, the guy with the 48: dammit how do I get 47?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Probably have everyone from Schenzen but here we are anyway

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Ratzap/

I tend to do a puzzle once or twice, fiddle a bit, look at the scores, think 'meh, w/e' and move to the next.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Do all angles need to be identical to the target in this one or is it spacechem rules where you can make crooked molecules?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Identical angles, I think. I did the whole game in one sitting yesterday (the penultimate molecule was the hardest for me) but it didn't occur to me to experiment with the angles.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Morholt posted:

Do all angles need to be identical to the target in this one or is it spacechem rules where you can make crooked molecules?

the angles and chirality must be identical.

edit:2d chirality

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm annoyed this doesn't work.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I'm annoyed this doesn't work.

yep, chirality matters

v it's a 2d game with 2d chirality. the correct product and the incorrect product are enantiomorphs in a plane.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 7, 2019

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

That's not "chirality", it's the same molecule!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No I think that's exactly what chirality is. It's mirrored. Can't mirror inputs, can't mirror outputs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's mostly a matter of not making sense when the molecule is presented in 2D. In real life, a three-dimensional molecule when mirrored has different chirality since the orientation is changing in respect to whatever is at the front or back, but a molecule structured exactly like that in the screenshot is the same as the output, as you can just flip it over.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

No that molecule does not have any stereocenters even irl, it's not chiral. You can get its mirror image by flipping it like a pancake.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Morholt posted:

No that molecule does not have any stereocenters even irl, it's not chiral. You can get its mirror image by flipping it like a pancake.

Ceci n'est pas une molécule. it's a 2d shape with chirality

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah zach posted about this a bit, he said he wanted folks to be able to play optimally without thinking about 3d rotation. It is a shame when you build a system that constructs the mirrored one by accident.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Would be neat if there were an unlockable/opt-in ruleset mode where they could be rotated like that. :smith:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I kinda like it how it is - I'm at least glad you can't flip precursors. Asymmetry adds something here. It'd be fine if they let you mirror outputs but I really hope that don't add mirrored inputs. That'd solve your issue without blowing up the complexity and widening the solution space. It'd allow for solutions where you make one molecule with one chirality and one with the other, concurrently.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Oh and there was a patch today:

quote:

Changed bond-breaking priority so that rotating your solution will less frequently change its behavior. This will probably break any solutions you have that relied on ambiguous bonding or unbonding resolving in a particular way.

Changed the trash and output instructions so that they happen after the movement and hydrogen manipulation instructions. This fixes some simulation oddities ("disappearing" hydrogen) and hopefully adds a little more optimization depth. This will also probably break some solutions.

That second one is pretty significant, should allow for some lower cycle counts.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Oh and there was a patch today:

That second one is pretty significant, should allow for some lower cycle counts.

yooooo that's huge. thanks for posting

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Looks like it came with a leaderboard reset, which makes sense - rerun your solutions folks! It definitely messed up my nitrous oxide.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah you can output a lot of the early molecules in a single cycle now. And the leaderboards have been wiped.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's a huge change, I wonder how many of my solutions are irreparably broken (and how many are now way faster)

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Are leaderboard histograms broken after today's update? I can still see top and tenth percentile and friends in the leaderboard, but my histograms are all blank :(

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
gently caress do I wish I had some fromaldehyde. loving kids.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Rahu posted:

Are leaderboard histograms broken after today's update? I can still see top and tenth percentile and friends in the leaderboard, but my histograms are all blank :(

There was a reset, maybe there are too few entries for it to draw? I think he reset them a second time even, or maybe just is planning on it. The bond ordering now goes counter-clockwise from the direction of input for unbonding, I think he's going to make the same (or opposite direction) change for bonding and reset again.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dr. Stab posted:

They changed the rules and I found 44 right away so this is lost forever now.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Undocumented keys:

If you want to rerun all your solutions at once go to the settings screen and hit CTRL-SHIFT-R.

Hit F10 to rotate your solutions.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This is a good game imo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game feels easier than opus magnum imo, but that might be because Im going through and beating things rather than worrying about optimizing

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Control Volume posted:

This game feels easier than opus magnum imo, but that might be because Im going through and beating things rather than worrying about optimizing

It's the first Zachtronics game I've actually finished so it might actually just be easier

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Okay it really picks up in row 5, holy poo poo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I have successfully synthesised every molecule up to and including mescaline, and have only now realised there are instructions to move the emitters

:negative:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

It's the first Zachtronics game I've actually finished so it might actually just be easier

I think it's the first one where the tools and rules you're working with never change. From the second challenge onwards you're working with the same precursors and the same set of instructions to effectively make increasingly complicated versions of the same kind of output. Even TIS-100 had you learning to output in different data formats.

It doesn't make this game easier exactly but it is relatively straightforward. Along with the minimalistic art, audio and story, it feels less developed than the other games. Maybe it was developed alongside the visual novel, which obviously needed all of those things but no puzzles.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, it is a small side project.
https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/1191852670937513985?s=19

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/1191510715456081920?s=19

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

Zomborgon posted:

Opening up the precursor catalog to *whatever you want* after the first two is simply evil.

"Hydrogen Peroxide": Yep.
"Ethanol": Mm hmm.
"Nitrogen Oxide": I suddenly feel very tired.

I'm a little bit behind on the news owing to needing to build a new computer, but here's me on Steam, if anyone is interested: https://steamcommunity.com/id/MrBlarney/

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm coming up on the end of the game and I still have zero idea what the "modules" count means. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm coming up on the end of the game and I still have zero idea what the "modules" count means. :confused:

Number of spawners + number of emitters used