Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Constellation question about the most recent episode:

At the end the kid screams "Mamma" in contrast to saying just before that she doesn't call her mother that. Does that mean she's the kid from Noomi Rapace's home universe and I'm misremembering how the cabin stuff went down in the first episode? Is she purposefully imitating the kid from the other universe? Or is it a cliffhanger and I'm supposed to not be sure what to make of it?

Liking the show in general, even with it being a bit slow, but it also makes me miss Counterpart.

Definitely the home universe daughter. Her mother mysteriously returned from the dead, made her a hot bath, and then disappeared again. Presumably, she got dressed and ran outside to find her.

Also, the tape that Noomi place towards the end is the the Swedish version of the English dialogue from the start of episode 1.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure the bath had happened yet... I think we're just caught up to the earlier scenes where Noomi was in the house then heard the cry for help from outside... I'm not sure I fully understand how both versions of the kid end up at the cabin, did the dad bring one version up there and Noomi bring the other or was Noomi dragging them both up there by switching back and forth.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I'm loving The Completely Made Up Adventures of Dick Turpin. It's completely absurd and silly which is sometimes just what you need.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm not sure the bath had happened yet... I think we're just caught up to the earlier scenes where Noomi was in the house then heard the cry for help from outside... I'm not sure I fully understand how both versions of the kid end up at the cabin, did the dad bring one version up there and Noomi bring the other or was Noomi dragging them both up there by switching back and forth.

Yeah, I'll be annoyed if that isn't addressed, but it's probably what the last episodes are building towards. It'd make sense if Paul saw both versions of Alice at Jo's wake when they saw each other, cause we know he can interact with our Jo across dimensions. That could have kicked off events that lead the original Alice to the cabin.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

This is so damned annoying. Also I hate her cuck husband, no way Noomi ends up with that dork.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

i think that after the kids see each other at the funeral scene, the kid from “Jo died” universe (Jo’s prime universe where she transported from) got very scared and the dad was taking her to the cabin to get away. He says, “you won’t see her up here.” We assume he meant Jo but he meant the girl won’t see her doppelgänger. Jo brings the kid in this universe she’s stuck in now up to the cabin for the scenes in episode 1 and 2. Hence, across both universes, both kids and Jo and her husband end up at the cabin at the same time. Then the “the same thing can be in two places at once” science stuff happens and the kids start accidentally crossing over temporarily etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At first I thought the cabin stuff was stupid but I think it can be really interesting. I assume that since it is very remote, it is a liminal space as that one lady said, like being out on the ocean. Or maybe the lake itself is the liminal space. And having the CAL there is allowing Jo to switch between the realities so she's able to see her original Alice and this other Alice that she's been living with. Since Bud is going to go up north to get the CAL back, I wonder if Henry will pop into existence up there too.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Cojawfee posted:

At first I thought the cabin stuff was stupid but I think it can be really interesting. I assume that since it is very remote, it is a liminal space as that one lady said, like being out on the ocean. Or maybe the lake itself is the liminal space. And having the CAL there is allowing Jo to switch between the realities so she's able to see her original Alice and this other Alice that she's been living with. Since Bud is going to go up north to get the CAL back, I wonder if Henry will pop into existence up there too.

It's gonna be like the Shining except instead of an axe murderer it's an old guy pissing all over the place

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dick Turpin'a a great deal of fun. It's riddled with dad jokes but for whatever reason I don't mind.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

So I never had much interest in The Morning Show but I randomly checked it out and three days later I had binged the first season. Now after two episodes of S2 I feel like the magic is suddenly gone, it feels unfocused, the characters all just seem slightly off (why is Mitch even still on this show?) its supposed to be only 9 mos later but it feels like 2 yrs later, and ugh I really dont want to relive corona drama. Is it worth sticking with?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Open Source Idiom posted:

Been psyched for this since I heard it announced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twvPGxuEOEA

The trailer is super misleading though, to the point where I reckon it could hurt the show a bit. It's a science fiction story.

Any details on that spoiler? I tried googling but could only find a regular-sounding synopsis.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

AcidCat posted:

So I never had much interest in The Morning Show but I randomly checked it out and three days later I had binged the first season. Now after two episodes of S2 I feel like the magic is suddenly gone, it feels unfocused, the characters all just seem slightly off (why is Mitch even still on this show?) its supposed to be only 9 mos later but it feels like 2 yrs later, and ugh I really dont want to relive corona drama. Is it worth sticking with?

I felt pretty similarly going in and ended up enjoying the first season, was pretty meh on the second season, and gave up partway through the season 3 premiere

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I dropped it partway through the third season. It was more solid than the second, but way less batshit -- nothing was going to top the second season finale's one woman passion play.

Argue posted:

Any details on that spoiler? I tried googling but could only find a regular-sounding synopsis.

Nah, that's pretty much all I've got fam. It's a "genre-bending" "science fiction" story. I've got nothing more specific than that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AcidCat posted:

If you won't want covid stuff, I'd just skip the rest of it. Even season 3 has covid stuff. Season 1 was great, but I only watched the other two because it was something to watch while I ate dinner. I didn't know why they thought people would want to watch covid poo poo after already living through it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Made a correct prediction about Constellations new episode and feel like I should play the lotto now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No real plot development, just seeing things we've already seen from other perspectives.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Definitely felt like a sort of "review" episode for Constellation. I don't hate that they did it, as some could probably use it to drive the nebulous concept home, but it was definitely less engaging because of the nature of it. Seeing how somethings happened that were hinted at before was appreciated though, and it feels about the right time to pull up that curtain.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Constellation needed this episode a bit earlier, with the previous episodes condensed.

I'm okay with where the show is going now though. As long as they didn't kill Paul. He carried the episode, and he could salvage the stale Bud/Henry plot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I quite liked this episode in terms of seeing Paul's subjective experience with the whole world seeming to gaslight him, but, yeah, we already know so much about what's going on overall that it continues the wheel-spinning feeling of the show.

I'm also completely unsold on the nonlinear storytelling they're doing. Watching the rising conflict between Bud and Henry would have been more interesting if we'd have known the context for it that this episode provided. Not onboard with this show's belief that characters are more compelling when their motivations are obscured.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree. It would have been much more compelling if we knew the background of what's going on. Maybe they are just trying to turn this into a mystery box, but I'm much more interested in the parallel worlds thing than the mystery of figuring out that it's parallel worlds.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Man those reviews that were like "well its a bit of a slog in the middle but it pays off" really did a lot for my expectations.

It was fine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm getting frustrated with Constellation because it feels like if they just talked about what they're seeing then it might lead to something. Right now it feels like the mystery is really obvious to the viewer (even from episode 2) and we're just watching the characters work it out.

There's an episode of Stargate where daniel goes to another reality and it's like 40 solid minutes before he works it out even though everything is different and it's feeling like that.
I'm calling it "English Reality" (the one with Henry) and "Swedish Reality" (the one with Bud).

I find it hard to accept that Jo goes to English reality and isn't surprised by a load of other poo poo being different. I get that it would be very hard to accept something like "I'm in another dimension" but gently caress there's SO MUCH that's changed, even the entire layout of her house. The fact that she can play the piano I think they could have riffed on and made it so she's confused and has fragments of both realities in her memory but it doesn't feel like it's going that way?

In this episode I thought they were going to show us that in Swedish Reality the ship had two pods on it - because the accident wasn't as bad - and Paul was going to leave Jo's body in the Soyuz and let it go, so that's why we saw him in the window when she got sent off.
But they didn't. I guess that in space as someone mentioned it's a liminal space so there's loads of realities and not just the two we're directly engaging with, which is fine but doesn't seem as interesting as the idea of him letting her go. I also kinda feel like if liminal space makes you swap reality then it should happen on boats all the time but perhaps we'll get a bermuda triangle sorta thing dropped in.

I do like that it's clear that in Swedish reality Jo is MUCH closer to her kid. But I also feel like in Swedish reality the mission wouldn't actually have gone ahead at all because Apollo 18 was such an unmitigated disaster it would have meant funding was cut all over. I wasn't thinking about that before but because they've now focused on it so much I keep thinking about it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 14, 2024

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
As low key psychological horror Constellation works better than as a Sci Fi show. The idea of your memories being wrong and no longer matching reality while still catching glimpses of what you remember is pretty horrible.
They are taking the easy way out by making the differences easy to film like a different color car and only one actress now speaking Swedish. Coming back to a reality where Swedish is the common language instead of English would be cooler, a major change like Apollo 18 failing or not long ago would have changed so much more than is shown here.

I do like the idea of liminal spaces as if reality is fixed into place by the outcome of countless concious choices made and in places where no such choices happen like space or an empty forest things are not as fixed. For the show I'm not sure where there is for the characters to accomplish. They cannot go back to the reality they came from and even then the tragedy stil happens, just to a different family.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CeeJee posted:

As low key psychological horror Constellation works better than as a Sci Fi show. The idea of your memories being wrong and no longer matching reality while still catching glimpses of what you remember is pretty horrible.
They are taking the easy way out by making the differences easy to film like a different color car and only one actress now speaking Swedish. Coming back to a reality where Swedish is the common language instead of English would be cooler, a major change like Apollo 18 failing or not long ago would have changed so much more than is shown here.

I do like the idea of liminal spaces as if reality is fixed into place by the outcome of countless concious choices made and in places where no such choices happen like space or an empty forest things are not as fixed. For the show I'm not sure where there is for the characters to accomplish. They cannot go back to the reality they came from and even then the tragedy stil happens, just to a different family.

Yea I almost feel like the show is building to the characters realising (our characters, clearly Bud/Henry know about it already) that they're in another reality...and then what? We've known since episode 2 at least. But there's only two episodes left so what else could it be leading to?
They're really pushing that observation angle so yea, it seems that's what they want us to take away from the show.

So far I really like the concept but I feel like they're doing it in quite a boring way. The horror moments ARE good though, I agree.

The reddit for the show is really flat because there's not anything to hypothesise. It gives us the information that it's given us and the reasons behind other stuff cannot be puzzled out. So it's people just posting really obvious stuff and that's about it. Which is a shame

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 14, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It's hard to tell if there's more mysteries or if they're loose ends from poor writing. Like you Taear mentioned earlier, the pod undocking doesn't make sense. There's also English Alice having seen Irene's corpse and talked to her, and that feels like it was only added to stop Jo questioning herself. It doesn't fit the narrative we've seen.

I liked that Swedish Magnus understands Swedish though. I can't remember if they established that for English Magnus earlier, but that makes it more endearing when Jo calls him Mog Gnooose.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Attack on Princess posted:

It's hard to tell if there's more mysteries or if they're loose ends from poor writing. Like you Taear mentioned earlier, the pod undocking doesn't make sense. There's also English Alice having seen Irene's corpse and talked to her, and that feels like it was only added to stop Jo questioning herself. It doesn't fit the narrative we've seen.

I liked that Swedish Magnus understands Swedish though. I can't remember if they established that for English Magnus earlier, but that makes it more endearing when Jo calls him Mog Gnooose.

Swedish wise I think the idea is just that they're all closer. Which is nice.
Making a guy called fuckin' magnus ericsson english is hilarious to me though

I can't get over Paul's wife having a different name though. They really need to get across to us "they feel disorientated and confused and that's why they're not questioning this stuff enough" and I really feel like they've not done that very well.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Constellation seems designed some someone who has never watched or read science fiction before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The first two eps of Manhunt came out, I watched the first one. Seems like it should be pretty fun. Hilarious though how cannibalistic Apple TV+ is with actors. Croz from Master of the Air seems to have a dastardly ancestor.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

frogbs posted:

Constellation seems designed some someone who has never watched or read science fiction before.

I compared it before but there's an episode of Stargate SG1 where Daniel comes through the stargate to a parallel universe where earth is being destroyed by the Goa'uld.
ALMOST everything is different and his other-universe equivalent has already died. AND YET it takes him until the episode is nearly done to work out that it's another universe, he just thinks he's confused. Even though things are different in a way where you wouldn't just forget, you wouldn't just be mistaken.

This whole show is making me feel like that. I assume Stargate is like that because the writers think the audience won't understand the concept of it being another universe and so far this whole show has that same air, that they think you won't understand what's going on unless they REALLY push it at you.

Obviously people are disorientated and stuff in this but I find it really hard to accept that a person who is going to push and push saying "no, I saw a dead cosmonaut hit the station" wouldn't also go "wait, my daughter and husband spoke swedish before what the gently caress"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/cold-atom-laboratory-cal

I didn't realize that the CAL is an actual ISS experiment to study quantum phenomena in zero gravity. That's pretty cool.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The first two eps of Manhunt came out, I watched the first one. Seems like it should be pretty fun. Hilarious though how cannibalistic Apple TV+ is with actors. Croz from Master of the Air seems to have a dastardly ancestor.

I watched the first episode and it's pretty good. Tobias Menzies is doing a pretty good job leading it. So far Anthony Boyle is the only actor I've noticed from Masters of the Air, but Apple does seem to do that with a lot of their actors. I bet the checks are fat. I did like seeing Matt Walsh in it, who I really only know as a supporting actor in comedic roles, and I guess Patton Oswalt shows up at some point.

Speaking of Masters of the Air, the finale was last night and it was one of the better finales I've seen for a show. It was long too, well over an hour. That was a fantastic series, but not as good as Band of Brothers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
A lot of streamers like to hold onto actors because they've got internal metrics saying that they pop. And not just streamers, HBO, Showtime and FX have a tendency to do this too.

A lot of the time you'll see someone come in for a single season role, get bumped off or leave town or what have you, and their next job will be on the same channel.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

We watched the first two eps of Manhunt and really enjoyed them. I'm not sure how many of the details are real but I'm digging the crazy historical procedural mash-up. Casting-talk, the one that stood out to me is Patton Oswald... still takes me out of it for a sec when I see him in somewhere unexpected.

Regarding Constellation, I'm liking it a lot, although the last Paul episode was the one thing I wish they'd done differently. It feels like they've aligned all the threads now so I'm hopeful the remaining episodes will move forward a bit more. Almost feels like they are setting up a 21st century Orpheus/Eurydice and I'll be down for it if they don't make it too corny at the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Him being in the show was a bit weird. Maybe Patton is trying to get more serious roles, but it was hard not to see him as the standup comedian Patton Oswalt.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
People underestimate Constable Bob at their own peril.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Manhunt is very much my jam, Tobias Menzies is excellent as always, it is weird seeing Patton Oswalt in a serious role though.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Constellation really doubled down on the symbolism this episode, huh?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wild ep, wonder how much they can wrap up next week before whatever cliffhangers they drop.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Great episode... I got vibes of the last episode of the original run of Twin Peaks with all the running back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Glad they drove home the whole alternate universe aspect last episode, because they really went wild playing with it back and forth on this one.