Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

apatheticman posted:

CeeJee above pretty much nailed where I think they're going.

Yea I agree with a lot of it. None of it really makes sense, but that's fine. I think my big questions are about Bud's Nobel prize? He won it for something. And he got a really good gig at a really nice place for doing it. They aren't saying what it is yet. Just that he won, and apparently they are up in space doing it and everyone listens to him. He's just a really good leader and a really good pilot, but the entirety of the worlds space expedition doesn't listen to you unless you found some pretty major poo poo. So yea, still sooooo many questions. And who the gently caress is Irene, and why does she know bud and why did Jo find a dead, Russian, female pilot flying through space and why did it hit the I.S.S. on the climate of their mission? Why is Irene looking at her iPad (nice product placement) in fear like that? She knows something we don't yet.

It's a good mark for a good show that we have a lot of questions, that have kind of been substantiated, but really haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ShowTime posted:

Constellation is so loving weird and good. I haven't been lost in a show like this for years. I'm just waiting to figure out things and god damnit, I'll probably never understand and way smarter people then me made this show.

The only thing that pisses me off is the product placement. If I see another iPhone or iWatch.

Edit: oh jeez, they've introduced iPads and now it's floating through space. It's a good show, but seriously?

I liked when she turned on her ipad and then the apple tv app was front and center while she's sitting next to a rotting corpse.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

ShowTime posted:

I finished up episode 3 of Constellation and hot drat aren't Noomi Rapace and Jonathan Banks killing it? Jonathan Banks is giving me hard Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul vibes.

I'm trying to research this new state of, and maybe someone smarter than me has some insight into it: matter. This new thing they were looking at was found and is clearly affecting everything. I guess plasma? We clearly see them exist in two states at once. I don't know what that could be, but i think they found it. Episode 3 talking ahead. We get shots of things like Alice walking down an alley, one behind the other. One is in front, goes a direction and the other is behind, a little slower and we don't know the direction. They're talking about existing in two places at once, I don't get it. Some things are pretty clear, as far as the back story, which is I think ultimately gonna wrap up this show. Jo and Frederic are loving. It's why Jo and Magnus, well among probably several things, are having issues.

Also, wtf does Henry, "Bud" have? He's looking worse and worse over time. These spots on his skin. Him and Irene are taking these same pills. I'm pretty loving lost here, right now. I have an idea of what's going on, but I feel like I don't.

Good show, worth watching.

I'm pretty sure he says it's some kind of condensate. The only one i know of is the Bose-Einstein condensate which they have made on the ISS. How they did it with lasers seems like that's what they did in the show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am into the weird science and space stuff, less interested in the family stuff. Though family stuff involving the weird science stuff is fine.

It does tie into my annoyance in any kind of disaster in movies where they are all "Okay, we have 5 minutes to save our person, we all need to work together, and we need to help our people survive by giving them extremely specific instructions, but also lets use time and resources to bring their family here so they can talk and waste that precious time". I know how it serves the story, raising emotional stakes and such, but irl they'd never do that. You don't need untrained, unhelpful individuals in a situation like that running around underfoot, probably demanding to speak to someone constantly, and why this isn't being done and so on.

Anyways, its pretty clear Jo has been exposed to something that is enabling her to see other realities, why she saw the dead astronaut at the tree, she was seeing a reality where she died and he lived. And now she's back on earth, others are experiencing that. Not be surprised if this starts effecting the entire world

I am super suspicious about the pills these people are all taking.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'm pretty sure he says it's some kind of condensate. The only one i know of is the Bose-Einstein condensate which they have made on the ISS. How they did it with lasers seems like that's what they did in the show.

I wonder if it’s going to be some Neutrino-antineutrino pair or some [insert boson]matter-antimatter in stable matter configuration or something. There are a lot of neutrinos in space from the sun. If this whole alternate realities thing is about the world-antiworld states sticking together…

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a Monarch thread, because i finished watching it recently and I loved the poo poo out of it.

I binged my way through it this weekend.

Overall it's pretty entertaining. Monarch (the organization) seems kind of like a cargo-cult secret agency. They somehow have a huge budget for countless black-ops sites around the world and endless goon squads to go ominously hassle civilians, but after 60 years they don't seem to be any good at actually tracking, studying, or dealing with giant monsters. I kept waiting for a Big Reveal about what its actual purpose or goals are, but that just... never really happens, just a little teaser hint at the very end. I just don't get why Monarch has to operate in the shadows like it's SPECTRE or something, their ostensible mission is something that the world would pretty easily get behind.

That being said, I like a lot of the elements. G-day and the aftermath is a cool theme I wish they spent some more time exploring. The present/past storylines are pretty well done, and the Russels are some great casting for that. The giant monsters are great, it would be nice to have more of them but I get that SFX budgets aren't infinite.

Firing up Constellation next, it sounds pretty cool.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The only reason that Monarch has to be secret is because they have to wedge it into in the "real worldish" framing of the 2014 film that's ostensibly the start of the current franchise, even though the tone has completely changed since then and it's now just an outright scifi/fantasy world.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Blind Rasputin posted:

I wonder if it’s going to be some Neutrino-antineutrino pair or some [insert boson]matter-antimatter in stable matter configuration or something. There are a lot of neutrinos in space from the sun. If this whole alternate realities thing is about the world-antiworld states sticking together…

I can get on board with that, but if they explain it any worse than everything else it might be pointless going that deep into the science.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm digging Constellation at least so far. It's definitely weird enough to be interesting, and a mix of scary-weird and "normal" weird like when [spoiler] the head scientist tried to film the particle fields on the computer screen with his phone

We also binged most of EarthSounds which is a solidly nice nature documentary focused on sounds in the natural world. The description made it sound like it was going to be long dreamy soundscapes or atmospheric sounds but it's mostly a pretty straightforward 'feature three or four animal stories in one ecosystem' program, but with an emphasis on how they make or use sound. Each episode has a few minute "behind the scenes" and as typical those are often even more interesting than the episode.

things I liked
-- some great cinematography and cool stories, it feels almost up there with planet earth tier.
-- Only 30min episodes, they moved pretty well.
-- Tom Hiddleston does a pretty good job of narrator imo.
-- They didn't have time to go super deep into the science but what they did include was reasonably accurate.

Things they didn't quite get right
-- Maybe slightly overproduced, I didn't care for the 'zoom through the forest to some scene you shot somewhere else, then zoom back'.
-- For a program about nature sounds don't loving foley in sounds for birds blinking and poo poo (maybe I was imagining this but I swear there were a few sounds throughout the show I'm pretty sure they just made up). Most of it seems pretty legit though.
-- Except for the very last episode, almost zero discussion of noise pollution and conservation outside of the "behind the scenes". It's a super big issue for wildlife and human health and it wouldn't have taken much to bring it up.
-- Maybe oversold the technology at some points (I did bioacoustics for a while so I may be extra critical here), but they'd often drop stuff like "now with an underwater microphone we can listen in..." like it's new tech and not something that we've been doing for 75+ years listening for Soviet subs.

e: tl/dr Earthsounds - not revolutionary but a quick, gorgeous nature doc focused on animal sounds.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 27, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just finished the third episode of Constellation. I'm starting to dig it now. One time I'm not getting is Are her fellow astronauts from her original reality too? Are they experiencing weird poo poo? Because it seems like there are two realities for what happened up there. There's one where Jo died, and one where the commander guy died. Jo is obvi living in the reality where she lived. But did her fellow spacetronauts back on this alt earth come from her reality too? Because I would think that if it were true that the other guy lived in the other reality, they would have remembered that. Maybe there will be some sort of reckoning happening where the data they got back from space doesn't line up with the stuff on her ipad.

As for Bud and Irina, it definitely seems like They are also from another reality. Bud is from a reality where Apollo 18 went fine, then he comes back down to Earth and is in a reality where there were a bunch of fuckups. Irina possibly died in one of the realities on her mission and then came back down to an alternate reality or something. I'm not really sure how that one works. Both this reality and Jo's original reality are both sure that no one has ever died in space (until now) so where does Irina's corpse fit in? I assume it's her because Bud saw her as being a desiccated corpse when he was seeing her in the other reality or whatever in the hotel room.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Working my way through The New Look. Historically it's... complicated, and I can't pretend to understand the historical specifics of Chanel's depiction. I've read some stuff because the series has been controversial, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

As a drama it's compelling though. It's also pretty loving good looking, one of those very digital looking shows -- like Masters Of The Air, but more nicely lit and with actual loving colours. Binoche is (unshockingly) fantastic as Chanel. Really pathetic, funny. Emily Mortimer kills it as her sister as well. Pretty much all the fun performances are in her side of the plot.

On the other hand, Mendelsohn is one hell of an actor, but he's also a DEEPLY unconvincing twenty something. He's also giving a less show-y performance, though I wonder if I'll be more into what he's doing as the series continues and the show catches up with the actor's actual age. Or maybe I'm just not used to seeing him play a weaker dude. I'm so used to his characters managing a barely repressed rage.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm halfway through the first episode of Constellation, and just wanted to say how fascinated I am that it feels like a Nordic Noir in space. The ISS has the same vibe as the town in Let The Right One In.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

As for Bud and Irina, it definitely seems like They are also from another reality. Bud is from a reality where Apollo 18 went fine, then he comes back down to Earth and is in a reality where there were a bunch of fuckups. Irina possibly died in one of the realities on her mission and then came back down to an alternate reality or something. I'm not really sure how that one works. Both this reality and Jo's original reality are both sure that no one has ever died in space (until now) so where does Irina's corpse fit in? I assume it's her because Bud saw her as being a desiccated corpse when he was seeing her in the other reality or whatever in the hotel room.

They are also both definitely riddled with cancer and dying. Why now, this many years later, I don't know. And Jo is given pills that look suspiciously like the same pills, but she's told they are vitamins. I was able to spot that it's got something to do with Lithium, but they framed the bottle so I couldn't read it. So I squinted and spotted Lithium written on it, which looks like it could assist with cancer.

New episode should be out tomorrow and I suspect we'll start to learn a few new things and have even more questions.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Overall it's pretty entertaining. Monarch (the organization) seems kind of like a cargo-cult secret agency. They somehow have a huge budget for countless black-ops sites around the world and endless goon squads to go ominously hassle civilians, but after 60 years they don't seem to be any good at actually tracking, studying, or dealing with giant monsters. I kept waiting for a Big Reveal about what its actual purpose or goals are, but that just... never really happens, just a little teaser hint at the very end. I just don't get why Monarch has to operate in the shadows like it's SPECTRE or something, their ostensible mission is something that the world would pretty easily get behind.

That being said, I like a lot of the elements. G-day and the aftermath is a cool theme I wish they spent some more time exploring. The present/past storylines are pretty well done, and the Russels are some great casting for that. The giant monsters are great, it would be nice to have more of them but I get that SFX budgets aren't infinite.

Yea I liked Monarch eventually, but not at first. It had a slow start that made me quit watching for a bit out of a lack of interest, but with the new Godzilla and Kong movie coming out, I got a bit of a renewed interest in the series and binged it. It started to pick up and developed some interesting back story to Monarch and the titans. I'm wondering what kind of tie-in they'll have together, if any.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I got the feeling Monarch's main job was keeping the Kaiju under wraps, as myth and legend, and cryptids to be laughed off, while at the same time gathering as much data as possible in case they actually did need to do something about them. But without the Randa's running things, they just kind of got in a rut of gather data but not doing anything with it. As Shaw says, they became Data Driven, but there was no plan. Obviously following GDay that changed. LIke Ken Watanabe's best idea was "let them fight" which is straight up mocked in the show. Though also they are fully aware that they, at least Godzilla, can't be hurt by Castle Bravo, then what can we do to them?

It's also interesting to see where Skull Island Randa comes from. As far as he knows, he lost his wife and his best friend, and that kind of ruined him, so he's a burnt out monster hunting drunk loser, and then he just dies by being eaten by one of the skullcrawlers like its nothing, but oh wait, before that he was someone to admire.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've enjoyed these three episodes of Constellation and I'm kinda sad that they're going to weekly releases. I feel like mystery shows just kinda wind me up on weekly release since you forget bits and it's harder to piece together.

Clearly Bud and Henry are the same one person and we're seeing both realities. I notice that when he killed Shaun Dingwall that Dingwall had no idea who Henry was and the idea that there's twin brothers with the same career path seems pretty unlikely. Plus the news called him Henry and he's not going "Wait that's my brother's name!" or whatever. Also that during the romance scene with Irina the song was "The Other Half of Me".

I did think the USSR woman who hit the ISS would end up being Irina as soon as we saw her really, it can't really be anyone else.

I will say I'm getting a little annoyed at them not explaining stuff to each other. Alice is stressed but she seems really sensible so when she sees Wendy smash the rabbit up, then it's just vanished and wendy is elsewhere and the rabbit is okay I feel like she'd be more confused. Like "What the gently caress is going on" instead of going all in being mad.
Or that Alice spoke Swedish in the start of the film and when they watched it back on the screen it was in English, but Jo didn't say anything? She said to her husband "Why doesn't Alice speak swedish any more" (which seems a loving massive deal) and just ignored his answer.

I'd be okay with that if she hadn't been SO intense about what she saw, like she remembers her reality pretty strongly. It's like they're all kinda scared of confrontation.
If we find later that your memories of the other reality are fuzzy then I'm alright with what I've put here but I'm still a bit bothered by it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Taear posted:

the idea that there's twin brothers with the same career path seems pretty unlikely.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They didn't both go to space!
Twin brothers landing on the moon together, that'd be way more of a big deal

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
Got a 3-month trial to Apple TV+ with my new TV and I'm looking for must-watch stuff before it runs out. So far I've just been watching Masters of the Air and the animated movie Wolfwalkers.

I see a good bit of praise for Constellation in the thread which I'll check out but is there anything else that should be on my radar?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Severance, Dickinson, Mr. Corman, Silo, The Tragedy Of Macbeth, The Last Days Of Ptolemy Grey, Pachinko.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
First couple seasons of For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, Slow Horses

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

This Charming Man posted:

Got a 3-month trial to Apple TV+ with my new TV and I'm looking for must-watch stuff before it runs out. So far I've just been watching Masters of the Air and the animated movie Wolfwalkers.

I see a good bit of praise for Constellation in the thread which I'll check out but is there anything else that should be on my radar?

Severance, Slow Horses, For All Mankind, Silo, Ted Lasso, Prehistoric Planet

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Black Bird, Foundation, Snoopy Show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Re: Slow Horses:

The good news is that there's only 18 episodes so far, so you'll be able to easily watch it all before your trial runs out.

The bad news is that there's only 18 episodes so far.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Jerusalem posted:

Re: Slow Horses:

The good news is that there's only 18 episodes so far, so you'll be able to easily watch it all before your trial runs out.

The bad news is that there's only 18 episodes so far.

This is also the case with Severance. I was very annoyed when I finally got around to watching it last month that there was still no second season date set

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Taear posted:

They didn't both go to space!

quote:

Scott Joseph Kelly (born February 21, 1964) is an American engineer, retired astronaut, and naval aviator. A veteran of four space flights, Kelly commanded the International Space Station (ISS) on Expeditions 26, 45, and 46.

quote:

Mark Edward Kelly (born February 21, 1964) is an American politician, former astronaut, and United States Navy captain who has served as the junior United States senator from Arizona since 2020.

Kelly flew combat missions during the Gulf War as a naval aviator before being selected as a NASA Space Shuttle pilot in 1996. He flew his first space mission in 2001 as pilot of STS-108, piloted STS-121 in 2006, and commanded STS-124 in 2008 and STS-134 in 2011, the final mission of Space Shuttle Endeavour. His identical twin, Scott Kelly, is also a retired astronaut; they are the only siblings to have both traveled into orbit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just watched the fourth episode of Constellation. Still more slow burning but a bit more plot development. The story is interesting, but I wish they would stop with the time skips. Jo is talking to Bud at ESA, then he's on that cruise ship arguing with the conspiracy guy. I don't know why it's so difficult to just tell the story in order. Unless it is in order and one Bud is in on reality and the other is in another reality.

Definitely more freaky stuff happening this time. Like Jo being in her office, and then seeing the workers coming in to clear it out because she's dead. Then she gets up and the guy sees her and freaks out.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"

Cojawfee posted:

Just watched the fourth episode of Constellation. Still more slow burning but a bit more plot development. The story is interesting, but I wish they would stop with the time skips. Jo is talking to Bud at ESA, then he's on that cruise ship arguing with the conspiracy guy. I don't know why it's so difficult to just tell the story in order. Unless it is in order and one Bud is in on reality and the other is in another reality.

Definitely more freaky stuff happening this time. Like Jo being in her office, and then seeing the workers coming in to clear it out because she's dead. Then she gets up and the guy sees her and freaks out.

Henry and Bud are different characters, it's happening at the same time in different universes. At some point in space the two of them switched, hence Bud's early life details not being correct and his waking up to his crew suddenly dead. Bud is the "brother" Henry referred to in an earlier episode.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

VextheGrey posted:

Henry and Bud are different characters, it's happening at the same time in different universes. At some point in space the two of them switched, hence Bud's early life details not being correct and his waking up to his crew suddenly dead. Bud is the "brother" Henry referred to in an earlier episode.

Yeah, in one of the earlier episodes, Henry gets angry when the TV calls him Bud because that's not his name.

I like the attention to detail in the show, like how Jo has to play the tapes on a Fisher Price device because who the gently caress has a tape player nowadays?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Another cool Constellation detail that I just found out about :

When Jo and her daughter is talking on the tablet at the beginning of episode 1, we are seeing both versions of them. When they switch to speaking English, the daughter's clothes change (and the actress too, I suppose. The daughters are played by twin girls). Edit: Her hairstyle also changes.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 28, 2024

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Servant and See. Both very weird shows but well worth watching.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Last Days Of Ptolemy Grey

This is such a great show, the best role Jackson has ever played.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I need Constellation to poo poo or get off the pot. We get it already. She can (not) play the piano. That's level 1 stuff. Give us more Quantum Cabins and Shadow Janitors. That's the good stuff.

SimonChris posted:

When Jo and her daughter is talking on the tablet at the beginning of episode 1, we are seeing both versions of them. When they switch to speaking English, the daughter's clothes change (and the actress too, I suppose. The daughters are played by twin girls). Edit: Her hairstyle also changes.

Okay, that's super cool and makes me wonder what else I missed. Could be a very rewatchable show if it has a satisfying ending then.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Invasion

(Please god don’t actually do this to yourself)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SimonChris posted:

Oh poo poo that I hadn't noticed
I'm still mad she hasn't made more of a big deal of her daughter no longer speaking swedish!

Also it's really funny to me that the husband is called "Magnus Ericsson" but is British.

Cojawfee posted:

You quoted my post where I specifically said they were different people but the same person and then you said this which is genuinely baffling to me!
I feel like if they were brothers then Bud's reaction to being called Henry would be really different

God okay TWO TWIN BROTHERS landing on the moon together is madness considering how few people have gone up there. That's what I mean.

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 28, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Taear posted:

]

God okay TWO TWIN BROTHERS landing on the moon together is madness considering how few people have gone up there. That's what I mean.

Don't make me post space quadruplets

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Don't make me post space quadruplets

IF they all landed on the moon then go for it!!!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Servant, See, Prehistoric Planet, The Essex Serpent, WeCrashed.

First two seasons each of For All Mankind and Mythic Quest.

First season of The Afterparty.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chairman Capone posted:

Servant, See, Prehistoric Planet, The Essex Serpent, WeCrashed.

First two seasons each of For All Mankind and Mythic Quest.

First season of The Afterparty.

Does For All Mankind get significantly worse after season 2? I'm just getting to the end of 2 now and I'm really enjoying it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

stev posted:

Does For All Mankind get significantly worse after season 2? I'm just getting to the end of 2 now and I'm really enjoying it.

Pretty much. It has its moment but it kind of goes completely off the rails. I thought season 4 was better than 3 personally, but you have to watch season 3 to get there. Sometimes it's better to just leave shows early when they are at their peak (looking at you Game of Thrones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Season 3 of For All Mankind wasn't that bad, it's just that the previous seasons were so impeccably great. The True Detective problem.