Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked Keeley better in the first season, but I feels the same way about most of the non-Ted characters that were promoted to main characters this season.

It feels like the writers have a spreadsheet where they need to write 7 minutes for each character a week, so we get endless stories about Roy’s niece and whatever boring thing Keeley is doing this week.
The show just feels watered down now compared to the first season.l, it’s still good but I find myself skipping through it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The changes in season 2 feels like they are planning for the show to run for a long time, so that they can do Ted Lasso without the main character.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked the first two episodes of Foundation, but it barely has anything to do with the book, given how much new content they have added to make it more interesting to the casual viewer.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This was definitely the best episode of Ted Lasso season 2 for me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Escobarbarian posted:

Ted Lasso
For All Mankind
Mythic Quest
Little America
Home Before Dark
Servant
Dickinson
Trying
Central Park
Little Voice
Foundation
Physical
Mr. Corman

enjoy!!!!!!!

I would add Schmigadoon! to that list. See is pretty decent too.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 29, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I want Roy to hook up with the teacher mostly because his relationship with Keeley is so utterly dull, both characters have suffered from the show being watered down this season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Ted Lasso has a Glee level downturn.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked the finale. Overall I think Ted's storyline has been really good, and Nate's turn to the dark side was also well done.

But I wish the writers realized that not every character needs to be forced into every episode if you don't have anything for them to do. Higgings is just there to throw out badly written dialogue, when I wish they would just use him when they had something good.

Overall I was disappointed in this season, but I hope the next one gets back on track.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve only watched the first episode and I’d say no, unless you really want to see him cosplay a god fearing cop.

Doesn't he get killed in the first episode? I never watched beyond that but I got the impression that someone just handed him a bag of money to make a small apperance.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Foundation is moving at a snails pace, I really wish they didn't feel the need to drag out the story so much.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't mean to keep harping on about Foundation because I actually enjoyed this episode, and Lee Pace did his best work of the series. But it has really strayed far away from the plot of the books that it's almost unrelated.
It just seems like such a risk to think that you will get around to dealing with the book plot in season 2 or 3 or 4.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I got the distinct impression that Sam Neil was only there to lure in viewers, and he probably got a nice payday to work a few days on a schlocky tv show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Azhais posted:

Is "Welcome to Earth" any good?

It doesn't looks particularly interesting, but the fact that Darren Aronofsky is involved makes me want to check it out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Both The Dropout and WeCrashed are just too long, there isn't enough story there to drag them out over 8 episodes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am really liking The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey, more people should give it a shot.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I watched Suspicion because Elizabeth Henstridge was in it, but I haven’t made it beyond the first three episodes or so, it’s just not super interesting.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I haven't watched any of his other stuff, but Dispatches from Elsewhere was so great that I am interested to see what Segel does next.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey had a very satisfying ending, this was a really nice show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
*wrong thread*

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Chairman Capone posted:

Of the three grifter dramedy miniseries that have come out this year (WeCrashed, Inventing Anna, The Dropout), I actually think I liked WeCrashed the most. It was the least sympathetic portrayal of the central figure in all of those, while also highlighting the true absurdity of every aspect of these scams.

Adam in WeCrashed was pretty sympathetic I think. He was wasting a ton of money, but he wasn't actively trying to harm anyone. Elizabeth Holmes in The Dropout was pretty darn evil.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Season two of Ted Lasso felt like it was being turned into a generic comedy, so they could just keep it going for seven seasons without any effort.
Hopefully this last season will be more like the first one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I enjoyed Shining Girls, but Elisabeth Moss doesn't really do it for me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I lost interest during the second season, but the concept is fun and I think the show is underrated overall.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Season 2 was a big mess, so any change sounds positive at this point.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The problem was partly that there seemed to be a trend of showrunners treating the first season of a tv show, like a place where they could just gently warm up, and then start telling an actually story in the later seasons.

I don’t have any special love for the books, they are merely fine. But why would you spend so much money on adapting what is essentially just the first chapter?
It just seems like such an arrogant move to constantly half-rear end these adaptations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am checking it out purely because I loved Dispatches from Elsewhere.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

EL BROMANCE posted:

Same, at first I was expecting it to be just a huge disappointment when they get there that we might never even see and then it was like oh it really doesn’t go any higher than this one dude who duped some sales people and they just go town to town stealing money.

Given how much they outright hint that the moon thing is a scam, I’m starting to think that it’s a misdirection, and there are actually apartments on the moon.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

False posted:

I keep seeing people praising shrinking but thought the first two episodes were terrible (had some likable characters, though). Does it improve a lot, or is just not for me?

It’s not for you then.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Escobarbarian posted:

Watched all three episodes so far and yeah I like it a lot. It’s like if The Leftovers was a comedy and had much much lower stakes.

I really liked it, it reminded me a lot of Lodge 49

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Andrew_1985 posted:

Is anyone watching s2 of Schmigadoon?

This season has gone to a grittier Schmicago. There are influences from Hair, Chicago, Sweeny Todd and more

If you love anything musical theatre related you’ll love this self-aware pastiche.

https://youtu.be/wece6G6oIjc

I am liking it, though not quite as much as the first season, though that is mostly just the setting.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I generally don't like musicals, so I like the show because it makes fun of musicals.
I think this season is just a musical era I dislike more, and they seem to have ramped up the number of songs per episode.
The show is still good though

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I wish Big Door Prize would lean a little more into the cards not actually making anyone happy. But the trailer for the show hints at there being more substance in the later episodes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
When I just concentrate on the football storyline and skip the characters I don't care about, then Ted Lasso really has a good thing going for it this season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just skip anything not football related, makes this season a lot better, might have actually made season 2 watchable as well.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Prehistoric Planet — Season 2 Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWlmzl2jCNs

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought season 2 was ok, they obviously put a lot of work into it, but it relied a lot more on the audience knowing and liking musicals.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The stakes for Josh and Mel felt a lot more important in the first season, where their relationship was going poorly and they needed to figure out whether they were still in love, this time they were just a bit bored.

I do hope that they get another season though as I like the characters.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Maybe something will happen this season?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Jane Espenson is good people from back when Buffy was on the air, so that gives me a little hope.

I'm just a little tired of these expensive prestige shows where nothing happens during the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A lot of great writers and showrunners came out of Buffy.