Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

Your noble prize winning scientist doesn't have a back up plan to record results on the Russian equipment? The Russian equipment doesn't have recording capabilities at all?!

He tried to record the image on the screen with his phone, and it still didn't work. The implication is that the phenomenon is impossible to record due to quantum whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

VextheGrey posted:

Henry and Bud are different characters, it's happening at the same time in different universes. At some point in space the two of them switched, hence Bud's early life details not being correct and his waking up to his crew suddenly dead. Bud is the "brother" Henry referred to in an earlier episode.

Yeah, in one of the earlier episodes, Henry gets angry when the TV calls him Bud because that's not his name.

I like the attention to detail in the show, like how Jo has to play the tapes on a Fisher Price device because who the gently caress has a tape player nowadays?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another cool Constellation detail that I just found out about :

When Jo and her daughter is talking on the tablet at the beginning of episode 1, we are seeing both versions of them. When they switch to speaking English, the daughter's clothes change (and the actress too, I suppose. The daughters are played by twin girls). Edit: Her hairstyle also changes.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 28, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

I liked the new episode of Constellation. I think they could’ve moved the story along a little faster, but I’m looking forward to next weeks episode. Jonathan Banks did a great job this ep.

I like how we're steadily getting more information about what's going on, instead of the showrunners just throwing more mysterious crap at the walls like a lot of mystery shows.

It seems that the border between realities thins at liminal spaces, and outer space is the most liminal of them all. Therefore, astronauts regularly cross realities or see into different realities. Sometimes, they even become entangled with alternate versions of themselves.

Also, my dad is from Møn, so great to see it make an appearance! They should go to Møns Klint next; that's very liminal.

I do agree with the critics that the dialogue can be a bit stilted at times. Hello, famous physicist. I just called to explain the concept of quantum entanglement!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Constellation question about the most recent episode:

At the end the kid screams "Mamma" in contrast to saying just before that she doesn't call her mother that. Does that mean she's the kid from Noomi Rapace's home universe and I'm misremembering how the cabin stuff went down in the first episode? Is she purposefully imitating the kid from the other universe? Or is it a cliffhanger and I'm supposed to not be sure what to make of it?

Liking the show in general, even with it being a bit slow, but it also makes me miss Counterpart.

Definitely the home universe daughter. Her mother mysteriously returned from the dead, made her a hot bath, and then disappeared again. Presumably, she got dressed and ran outside to find her.

Also, the tape that Noomi place towards the end is the the Swedish version of the English dialogue from the start of episode 1.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 7, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/cold-atom-laboratory-cal

I didn't realize that the CAL is an actual ISS experiment to study quantum phenomena in zero gravity. That's pretty cool.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was all on-board with the Constellation ending until the final scene, which was indeed a bit tacky. I unironically love the idea of a mystery show where the resolution is for people to go "gently caress this poo poo; life is too short. Is this my real daughter? Eh, close enough."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My interpretation is that dying during a quantum event gets you stuck in a Schrödinger's cat superposition between alive and dead, with the capability to haunt the other universe.

The more I think about it, this was basically a shaggy dog story. Eight hours of build-up for the mystery box equivalent of "gently caress you, clown" or "better nate than lever". Luckily, I don't mind being the target of a good prank and had a jolly good time, but I definitely understand the bad reviews now.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AcidCat posted:

Man I was hoping Sugar would be good because I love Colin Farrell and I love this genre, but the first episode has already exceeded ny expectations.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-reviews/sugar-review-colin-farrell-apple-1234996609/

Apparently, this has a crazy twist towards the end of the season that turns it into a completely different show. None of the reviewers will spoil it, so now I'm going to be looking for clues for most of the season. Is Colin Farrel a robot? Living in the matrix? What???

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 6, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Daily Beast review of Sugar

This review spoils the central mystery of Sugar (labelled "Minor spoilers" to boot). Do NOT read unless you - like me - can't wait to know.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zoracle Zed posted:

I haven't read any of those spoilers but it's very strange to write a noir where the protagonist is the most morally decent person who's ever lived

Raymond Chandler - The Simple Art of Murder posted:

In everything that can be called art there is a quality of redemption. It may be pure tragedy, if it is high tragedy, and it may be pity and irony, and it may be the raucous laughter of the strong man. But down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. The detective in this kind of story must be such a man. He is the hero; he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor—by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world. I do not care much about his private life; he is neither a eunuch nor a satyr; I think he might seduce a duchess and I am quite sure he would not spoil a virgin; if he is a man of honor in one thing, he is that in all things.

He is a relatively poor man, or he would not be a detective at all. He is a common man or he could not go among common people. He has a sense of character, or he would not know his job. He will take no man’s money dishonestly and no man’s insolence without a due and dispassionate revenge. He is a lonely man and his pride is that you will treat him as a proud man or be very sorry you ever saw him. He talks as the man of his age talks—that is, with rude wit, a lively sense of the grotesque, a disgust for sham, and a contempt for pettiness.

The story is this man’s adventure in search of a hidden truth, and it would be no adventure if it did not happen to a man fit for adventure. He has a range of awareness that startles you, but it belongs to him by right, because it belongs to the world he lives in. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've read every spoiler I could find on Sugar, and I still have no idea what's going on. I like it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't understand why all those reviewers were so blindsided by Sugar. They've been telegraphing things extremely hard, and most people pretty much called it after episode threeish. No way you could watch more than a couple of episodes and think this is a normal noir show. Although, I'm with Sepinwall that they should've revealed the twist earlier. This is a a badass concept for a show, but now we've only got two episodes left to explore it, after six episodes of winking hints that there is something up with this guy.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.indiewire.com/features/interviews/sugar-twist-colin-farrell-explains-episode-6-1234999533/
An article about the Sugar twist. Originally it was at the end of episode 1 and then they moved it to the season finale before putting it to where it ended up.

I'm with Sepinwall that they should have kept it in the first episode. Alien noir detective who learned about humans by watching old movies is an amazing hook for a show, but now we only have two episodes left to explore it, after spending six episodes hinting that there is something up with this guy. At least they didn't move it all the way to the finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Major spoilers for Sugar

Vulture originally tweeted both the headline and picture from this article and only removed it after a ton of backlash. I even agree with the main conclusion, but let people decide for themselves.

E: They still have the headline on their front page...

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 9, 2024