Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Was there a popular opinion on 1971? It's a series on the relationship between culture change and music. We liked it, although it's almost more of a history doc than a music doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyQPublic posted:

Is this show worth a watch? I just finished the first novel and loved it, it was a great crime/spy novel and I'm curious as to how it translates.

I got a vaguely Coen Brothers vibe, it felt solidly dark comedy to me. I enjoyed it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A couple of short series- Slow Horses (darkly comedic British spy craft). Also Prehistoric Planet is pretty darn cool if you have any interest in nature documentaries.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

What show is this?

Bad Sisters.

It's probably our favorite show rolling out right now except for Res Dogs. I hope Claes Bang gets an Emmy nomination for the performance because he really hits all the buttons in every scene perfectly.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dang, I just finished Severance too. I thought 2 seasons were out already. fuuuuuuuuuck.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

At the end of Bad Sisters last week I was praying they wouldn’t do this exact thing but of course they did

Season was either too long or too many episodes. It’s not fun watching them gently caress up killing such an awful character THIS often

I did not expect becka killing JP's mom -- that was pretty tragic . I actually find all the failed attempts pretty funny, that's kind of the whole point of the show. The thing that drags for me is the Becca and Matt round and round. Every episode is like "I hate you you're a liar" "Lets gently caress".

I guess we'll see how they wrap this up but yeah, this would have been a lot tighter as an 8ep season rather than 10.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Bad Sisters finale was very good

Agreed! Great payoff with the reveals. The season overall was pretty great. Maybe it could have been trimmed by an episode or two but overall it ruled.
I guessed the two main twists a week or two ago that Grace killed him and that the Claffins would trade dropping the claim for not exposing the murder , although I did not expect that the neighbor helped with staging the body, or that JP raped Eva, loving gross, although it explains the special contempt and animosity between the two of them..

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got notification about the $2 price increase. It’s still way cheaper than most of the other services but there’s not enough new content for me to subscribe year round anymore.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bad Sisters is great too.

I'll probably resubscribe when Ted Lasso, Bad Sisters and Severence get their new seasons.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I like Lessons in Chemistry but I'm getting sick of entire episodes of flashbacks to things we didn't see before and then 5 minutes furthering the plot.

I feel the same. This penpal episode and the dog episode just feel actively bad in a way the rest of the show avoids.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We watched a couple of shows recently. I don't know how I missed Little America when it was airing but it is totally my jam. Perfect cross between High Maintenance and the last season of Reservation Dogs. I'm not saying I enjoyed each one equally but for an anthology I thought it was remarkably even in quality and tone.

We also watched Shrinking and liked it. It was funnier than I expected with likable characters. Some of the dialog fell into the generic modern sitcom rhythm that can get kind annoying but it was balanced by meaningful interactions.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm digging Constellation at least so far. It's definitely weird enough to be interesting, and a mix of scary-weird and "normal" weird like when [spoiler] the head scientist tried to film the particle fields on the computer screen with his phone

We also binged most of EarthSounds which is a solidly nice nature documentary focused on sounds in the natural world. The description made it sound like it was going to be long dreamy soundscapes or atmospheric sounds but it's mostly a pretty straightforward 'feature three or four animal stories in one ecosystem' program, but with an emphasis on how they make or use sound. Each episode has a few minute "behind the scenes" and as typical those are often even more interesting than the episode.

things I liked
-- some great cinematography and cool stories, it feels almost up there with planet earth tier.
-- Only 30min episodes, they moved pretty well.
-- Tom Hiddleston does a pretty good job of narrator imo.
-- They didn't have time to go super deep into the science but what they did include was reasonably accurate.

Things they didn't quite get right
-- Maybe slightly overproduced, I didn't care for the 'zoom through the forest to some scene you shot somewhere else, then zoom back'.
-- For a program about nature sounds don't loving foley in sounds for birds blinking and poo poo (maybe I was imagining this but I swear there were a few sounds throughout the show I'm pretty sure they just made up). Most of it seems pretty legit though.
-- Except for the very last episode, almost zero discussion of noise pollution and conservation outside of the "behind the scenes". It's a super big issue for wildlife and human health and it wouldn't have taken much to bring it up.
-- Maybe oversold the technology at some points (I did bioacoustics for a while so I may be extra critical here), but they'd often drop stuff like "now with an underwater microphone we can listen in..." like it's new tech and not something that we've been doing for 75+ years listening for Soviet subs.

e: tl/dr Earthsounds - not revolutionary but a quick, gorgeous nature doc focused on animal sounds.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 27, 2024

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This Charming Man posted:

Got a 3-month trial to Apple TV+ with my new TV and I'm looking for must-watch stuff before it runs out. So far I've just been watching Masters of the Air and the animated movie Wolfwalkers.

I see a good bit of praise for Constellation in the thread which I'll check out but is there anything else that should be on my radar?

Severance, Slow Horses, For All Mankind, Silo, Ted Lasso, Prehistoric Planet

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure the bath had happened yet... I think we're just caught up to the earlier scenes where Noomi was in the house then heard the cry for help from outside... I'm not sure I fully understand how both versions of the kid end up at the cabin, did the dad bring one version up there and Noomi bring the other or was Noomi dragging them both up there by switching back and forth.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The first two eps of Manhunt came out, I watched the first one. Seems like it should be pretty fun. Hilarious though how cannibalistic Apple TV+ is with actors. Croz from Master of the Air seems to have a dastardly ancestor.

We watched the first two eps of Manhunt and really enjoyed them. I'm not sure how many of the details are real but I'm digging the crazy historical procedural mash-up. Casting-talk, the one that stood out to me is Patton Oswald... still takes me out of it for a sec when I see him in somewhere unexpected.

Regarding Constellation, I'm liking it a lot, although the last Paul episode was the one thing I wish they'd done differently. It feels like they've aligned all the threads now so I'm hopeful the remaining episodes will move forward a bit more. Almost feels like they are setting up a 21st century Orpheus/Eurydice and I'll be down for it if they don't make it too corny at the end.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Great episode... I got vibes of the last episode of the original run of Twin Peaks with all the running back and forth.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll reserve judgment until the end of the season but I'm pretty sure the show is less about learning about multiple realities (which we discovered in the first episode or two) and more about what it would feel like to be Schrödinger's cat.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

The more I think about it, this was basically a shaggy dog story. Eight hours of build-up for the mystery box equivalent of "gently caress you, clown" or "better nate than lever". Luckily, I don't mind being the target of a good prank and had a jolly good time, but I definitely understand the bad reviews now.

Maybe a similar take, but I think the writers maybe intended the physics/plot details to be secondary to being metaphors for how time apart and traumatic events can change us.

I liked the show but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone else. The second to last episode was great but the ending definitely didn't sing. Maybe I'll watch it again some day but yeah, my overall feelings were it didn't work as a straight sci-fi story for all the reasons that were brought up itt but it didn't quite have enough of the beautiful weirdness to make it work on the abstract level. I do like the exploration of overlapping realities but it was too long and the emotional notes weren't varied enough to make it great.

We're also 3 eps into Palm Royale and it fun but completely vacant and unmemorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sugar as an alien would be cool and unexpected for the genre I guess but I suppose I'm hoping there's something else going on, even if it's just an insane Get Shorty.