Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I only just dipped my toes into Apple TV and haven't seen the first Foundation season yet. Got a book question about the season 2 trailer: Is this the Mule arc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I'm halfway through the first episode of Constellation, and just wanted to say how fascinated I am that it feels like a Nordic Noir in space. The ISS has the same vibe as the town in Let The Right One In.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I need Constellation to poo poo or get off the pot. We get it already. She can (not) play the piano. That's level 1 stuff. Give us more Quantum Cabins and Shadow Janitors. That's the good stuff.

SimonChris posted:

Another cool Constellation detail that I just found out about :

When Jo and her daughter is talking on the tablet at the beginning of episode 1, we are seeing both versions of them. When they switch to speaking English, the daughter's clothes change (and the actress too, I suppose. The daughters are played by twin girls). Edit: Her hairstyle also changes.

Okay, that's super cool and makes me wonder what else I missed. Could be a very rewatchable show if it has a satisfying ending then.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

This Charming Man posted:

Got a 3-month trial to Apple TV+ with my new TV and I'm looking for must-watch stuff before it runs out. So far I've just been watching Masters of the Air and the animated movie Wolfwalkers.

I see a good bit of praise for Constellation in the thread which I'll check out but is there anything else that should be on my radar?

Calls is really cool if you like sci-fi horror.

It's an audio drama where you over-hear hosed up phone calls. The visuals are exclusively sound bars, though the show gets creative with them and tie them into the storytelling.

The cast is surprisingly good for what it is as well.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 29, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

SimonChris posted:

[...] I do agree with the critics that the dialogue can be a bit stilted at times.

That was very apparent with the Danish guy, standing there and yelling No No No as though he was about to intervene. He should've just been swearing under his breath.

I'm glad the show is finally moving on to the characters understanding what's happening though. Having said that, Jo's motivation for stealing the Cal was flimsy at best. Henry had told her it was magic, but she had way more reason to react to Henry talking to his Budleganger, or dig into why her daughter forgot Swedish in one day, than she had to run off with the Cal hoping it'd do something.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm not sure the bath had happened yet... I think we're just caught up to the earlier scenes where Noomi was in the house then heard the cry for help from outside... I'm not sure I fully understand how both versions of the kid end up at the cabin, did the dad bring one version up there and Noomi bring the other or was Noomi dragging them both up there by switching back and forth.

Yeah, I'll be annoyed if that isn't addressed, but it's probably what the last episodes are building towards. It'd make sense if Paul saw both versions of Alice at Jo's wake when they saw each other, cause we know he can interact with our Jo across dimensions. That could have kicked off events that lead the original Alice to the cabin.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Constellation needed this episode a bit earlier, with the previous episodes condensed.

I'm okay with where the show is going now though. As long as they didn't kill Paul. He carried the episode, and he could salvage the stale Bud/Henry plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It's hard to tell if there's more mysteries or if they're loose ends from poor writing. Like you Taear mentioned earlier, the pod undocking doesn't make sense. There's also English Alice having seen Irene's corpse and talked to her, and that feels like it was only added to stop Jo questioning herself. It doesn't fit the narrative we've seen.

I liked that Swedish Magnus understands Swedish though. I can't remember if they established that for English Magnus earlier, but that makes it more endearing when Jo calls him Mog Gnooose.