Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Trailer for Foundation is out:

https://twitter.com/AppleTV/status/1275132722256609280

Looks solid visually and has two strong actors, at the least. Though weird to see the Interstellar black hole appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kanonvandekempen posted:

Can someone explain what the significance was of the post credits scene in season 1? What is the significance of doing a partial underwater launch, and what is special about the new rocket?

It was an actual design for an enormous rocket that would have something like four times the payload of the Saturn V: http://www.astronautix.com/s/seadragon.html

The basics are that it was so large that launching it in the water would not only help support it physically, but provide natural coolant for the launch since it would melt an artificial launch pad. Also the fuel could hypothetically be synthesized directly from the seawater.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Octy posted:

Season 2 of Servant is pretty good. That scene with the blisters, though...

Just started watching the series from the start, and got through it in less than 24 hours. Really enjoyable... I mean, enjoyable maybe isn't the best word, but really good. I said it in another thread here but I really appreciate that it's a prestige streaming drama but almost every episode is under 30 minutes. I find that really refreshing.

And yeah, I could not watch that blister scene.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Dark Quiet Death T-shirt has been in a few episodes. Lou wore it at least once. I also didn't realize until I rewatched season 1 that they introduce Roscoe as a well-known video game character prior to the DQD episode.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not helped by the random magical realist touch of double casting the third tester as the publisher. (Partly for the grammar jokes and the fun of it, presumably.)

He also wrote the episode and is one of the show's producers. He also wrote Chernobyl and the Hangover sequels and was Ted Cruz's Princeton roommate.

Video game adaptation wise, he's also writing the adaptations of Borderlands and The Last of Us.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When Apple puts out their shows, is it one episode per week or a bunch at a time?

Generally one per week, though not always the case. The first season of Mythic Quest was all at once, for example. Also sometimes at the start of a show or season they'll release the first few episodes then do weekly after.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DaveKap posted:

And then his hot take was that it's white washing. I'm gonna stick with cute continuity correction.

Kind of surprised this take hasn't happened yet, but I figure it's because the show (and the service, really) aren't that widely known.

That being said I think Mythic Quest (and See, among other Apple shows I've watched) is one of the more diverse shows I can think of in recent years, both among cast and behind the scenes. Also probably the biggest ratio of cast who are also writers and/or directors on it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Heads up: this season (series?) is based on the prequels. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

I don't think it's really based on the prequels. Inasmuch as anything from Asimov's actual writing is in this, there's one element so far from the prequels (Eto Demerzel) while the rest (Seldon's warnings, his trial, and Gaal Dornick) are from the first story from Foundation.

Paddyo posted:

Foundation is about the life / death / rebirth cycle of civilization. It's super big-picture and cynical, and that's what made it interesting to me, and what separated it out from all of the generic space operas out there.

I honestly don't think that Foundation was all that cynical, especially compared to the other space opera stuff from the 30s and 40s like Heinlein, Stapledon, latter Wells. The sequels that Asimov wrote in the 80s are a bit more cynical but the original trilogy at least has always seemed very straightforward, with the core of the story being faith that a better future is inevitable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Asimov-related shows on Apple+, I rewatched the Backstory episode of Mythic Quest and liked it even more the second time. It made me realize that the guy playing young Peter was pretty clearly working to imitate William Hurt. Also, much as I liked the acting throughout, my favorite part is absolutely the smile that F. Murray Abraham gives at the end when asked if he'd ever wanted to write a video game.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mental Hospitality posted:

I recently got an Apple TV so I've been going through the ATV+ shows. Started with For All Mankind because, well it's a Ronald D. Moore show in space, and really enjoyed it. Morning Show was good, better than I expected but in reality, I didn't know much about it going in. Now watching the first season of Ted Lasso and it's an absolutely lovely change of pace. Lots of smiles, and surprisingly emotional at times.

What should I watch next? I see a lot of chatter about Mythic Quest but it's another show I'll be going into completely blind.

I must say, I've been very surprised and delighted at the quality of the shows in this service.

Definitely seconding the recommendations for Mythic Quest and Servant. See is another show I'd recommend - it's a bit of a ridiculous premise but if you can accept it, the show itself is fine, and I think it does good worldbuilding.

And yeah, I think in terms of overall quality of original shows, Apple+ is at the top of the streaming list for me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I dunno how this rumour started -- I've heard it too before the platform launched -- but I don't think this has ever actually been based in fact.

It came from a Wall Street Journal story in 2018, which was (according to the WSJ) based on people working on Apple+ shows.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-sex-please-were-apple-iphone-giant-seeks-tv-success-on-its-own-terms-1537588880

The article is paywalled, but here's the Deadline summary:

quote:

A streaming series based on the life of hip-hop producer and performer Andre “Dr. Dre” Young was rejected by Apple CEO Tim Cook because of its violent and dark content.

The show, Vital Signs, featured drugs, guns and an orgy, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Cook personally decided against moving forward on it, opting to lead Apple’s proposed content services in a direction different from its competition and toward less-edgy content. The WSJ said the decision was made because Apple was afraid to jeopardize its consumer products sales, an issue not faced by streamers like Netflix and Amazon.

The WSJ also reported that a show featuring Resse Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston was also toned down. Apple also backed off from a Whitney Cummings show about the #MeToo movement (“too sensitive a topic”) and asked director M. Night Shyamalan to remove crucifixes from characters’ homes in his psychological thriller because of fears of alienating religious viewers.

Creatives have been told that violence or gratutitous nudity is not what Apple’s looking for, and a lot of the decisions on what will fly are reportedly being aligned to Cook’s personal tastes, with a preference for family-friendly shows like Madame Secretary and Friday Night Lights, the WSJ reports.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It does make me wonder how much of that may have changed since that article was reported, though - just going from things it describes, The Morning Show was still pretty heavy and I know Jennifer Aniston said it was actually revised to become more focused on Me Too stuff after the reports about Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer came out. And there are definitely crucifixes in a few scenes in Servant (an episode focuses on the girl making them out of straw). Plus, See has multiple masturbation scenes and a lot of violence.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also, I almost forgot, but LOL at The Fountainhead being Ted Lasso's favorite book.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I can't wait for See season 2. That show might not be very intelligent, but it looks fantastic and it is just badass. Like, badass is the way I would describe it. The fight against the kidnappers in episode 3 is just incredible, everyone in the show looks cool and Jason Momoa just does awesome stuff constantly and consistently. The violence is rad as hell and also just incredibly badass.

Plus, Dave Bautista has been cast in season 2 as Jason Momoa's brother.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Ted Lasso: show still owns but this episode had the first thing so far that really didn’t work for me in any way the whole Led Tasso thing.

The AV Club review said this felt like something Michael Scott would do, and I think that's spot on.

I also felt a bit like the ending of the previous episode with Sam clearly feeling betrayed by Ted when Jamie returns didn't feel like it really got carried over into this episode, which was a bit jarring. But other than that, a solid episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know, after the latest episode I am even more skeptical that any bit of drama or character tension will last beyond a single episode, let alone resolved in any way beyond Ted making some folksy comment and smiling.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reading that article, and they include this tweet:

https://twitter.com/runwithskizzers/status/1419658903189663749

The thing is, at least this far into the season, I'm not really sure that "his positivity is framed as not ideal in the show itself", especially in season 2 so far, which I think is the core of the issue people have had with the first five episodes so far. At least as of now, we have repeatedly been shown that as long as you are positive and happy, you can unilaterally make decisions that effect others, and even piss them off, but ultimately it will all work out for the best for everyone with no ramifications.

Again, maybe that will change in the back half of the season, but the first half of the season hasn't done anything to make me think it's likely.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Second season of See just debuted. I knew it was coming but had no idea when. That also led me to see that The Morning Show is returning on September 17.

I feel like they need to advertise their shows better, Ted Lasso and Foundation seem to be the only ones that got any big promotional push.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

You can tell that they've been having problems with whatever program they use to create the character's voice this season, too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've had my criticisms of Ted Lasso this season, but if they work in an AI Roy subplot into season 3, all will be forgiven.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Its also great seeing
F. Murray Abraham.

His backstory episode in season 2 is probably my favorite of the show. Although technically Abraham himself is only in it for like thirty seconds at the end.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm pretty sure the song from the ending scene with Roy and Keely was used in the ending of the same Sex and the City episode with Aidan and Carrie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know this is basically the Ted Lasso thread, but the first two episodes of See S2 have been pretty good. It's clear they got a budget increase from season 1, as the sets and special effects are a big step up, and the fights have some extra gore. Bautista is good in it, especially when he gets to be really cruel to Momoa. And I still think this show is Momoa's best acting by far.

It is kind of funny how noticeably older the two actors playing the kids are, though. Especially Kofun.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

shirunei posted:

The queen continues to be the worst thing though. When that new lord guy goes "she is as clever and cunning as I remember" I could not tell if he was joking or not. Probably not! lol boots, hate it had to be him

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else so I can't tell if she's just not a great actor, or if she's meant to have every line reading come across as super stilted and wooden. The same with her characterization, if she's supposed to be taken as a super smart plotter or if everyone just gets fooled into thinking she is because of the fact that everything she does is really dumb and impulsive and they trick themselves into thinking she's playing 4-dimensional chess.

Also I just realized the new lord is Ichabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For a different Sam related thing: LOL at Sam making such a stand against the oil company, and then apparently just never giving it another thought until his dad calls him from Nigeria to tell him the company has been kicked out of the country. You'd think he would maybe be keeping up on that. Also who knew that all it took for a major multi-national company to get evicted from a country is a single press conference from a 21 year old player on a mid-tier football team?

Also is the Sam actor really 21? That seems really young for both the actor and the character.

On latest episode of See, the leader of the Guardians that was introduced feels really jarring, like she wandered in out of a Joss Whedon script. But Bautista and Momoa and Alfre Woodard continue to do really good work. I also like the addition of Wren, for a secondary character I feel surprisingly invested in her.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

As you might remember someone informing him and him the acting on a whim was the only reason this happened in the first place.

Yeah, and the reason he did that is because once informed, it was an incredibly important issue for both him and his loved ones, so it's odd that he apparently completely forgot about it after making that enormous gesture. It's one of a number of things this season where characters have major developments in an episode that then are completely forgotten moving forward.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of, I wish Rupert was in this season. Both because I think it would benefit from actually having an antagonist figure, but also I really enjoyed Anthony Head's performance as a total sleaze.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Really didn't like this Ted Lasso episode, mainly because I realized I don't care about Beard and I don't really feel like they made me care about how he's suicidal (?) about not standing up to Ted more, and I also don't really care about his relationship with either Jane or God. I did like the three barflies and wish the episode had been about them instead.

My girlfriend, who is not online at all, has absolutely loved every episode of Ted Lasso but hated this one, so I don't think it's just "online people."

On the See front, another great episode and the acting is really solid. Also I love that I just now realized that Pennsa = Penn State. Trivantes is obviously Pittsburgh, but not sure what the other faction (Gianites?) are supposed to be.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

tsob posted:

Just wait for whatever post-streaming service starts up that collates several streaming services into one subscription.

Disney+ in fifteen years?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This was definitely the best episode of Ted Lasso S2 so far and IMO the only one that's on the quality of the S1 average. Hopefully they can at least keep it up for the ending.

Also every time Rupert was on screen I felt like he was made to look like Roger Delgado as the Master from 1970s Doctor Who.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Robobot posted:

3. Ted pretending be a different yelly personality

I remember when people were like, "Ted's pretend personality is probably going to come back and be part of a big character development reveal"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A really good football-based comedy where the club's fortunes and the games actually tie into it is Club de Cuervos on Netflix. It's about a football club in a fictional city in Mexico, and after its owner dies, his two half-siblings struggle over who gets to run the club. There's a ton more to it than that, but it's a really solid comedy first and foremost while also having the sports aspect stay central. I highly recommend it, especially because I feel like it never got the attention it should have (though I think in Latin America it's a lot more popular).

Ted Lasso actually does a number of plots that Club de Cuervos also did, which gave me some deja vu watching Ted Lasso.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sonatinas posted:

Rupert don’t have those deep of pockets unless both teams pull off a leicester with less money

Maybe the sponsor that Rebecca told to gently caress off this season will back him instead. That would work as a way to actually make that storyline have some kind of repercussion.

Or alternatively maybe Rupert will get some random dating app to fund him also.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I am curious how different I'd feel about season 2 if I had been able to watch it all at once rather than week by week, but having watched season 2 it also doesn't leave me interested to rewatch it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I love that Ted Lasso is such a positive show that it's inoffensive to the worst people in the world.

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1453752691868438533

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched Finch last night. I remember reading about it when the script was originally called Bios and thought it was an interesting idea. It was decent - good acting from Hanks of course, and Caleb Landry Jones was good as well. I saw it described as a bit like Cast Away if Wilson was a robot (especially as Zemeckis was one of the producers) though I'd bet anything the writers had read Clifford Simak's classic book City as well. Basically, isn't the greatest movie ever made, but if you like Hanks, post-apocalyptic settings, robots, and/or dogs, then the movie is worth a watch.

Though now as I'm reading its Wiki entry, I guess it wasn't actually made by Apple+ but just bought by them. Also, it seems like a huge chunk was edited out of the end of the movie, and I'm really curious to see some of that. Which of course I know will never happen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think for me, and judging from the thread I'm not alone, but I didn't have a problem with Ted Lasso S2 having episodes ending on cliffhangers, but rather those cliffhangers were then ignored or offhandedly resolved in a line of dialogue a few episodes later.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw Servant S3 is back on January 21. Can't wait.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

"See" - The synopsis seems cool, though I had heard bad things about season 1. Apparently season 2 is much improved, so want to check this out.

Definitely give See a try. I'd also suggest Servant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought the latest episode of Servant was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sam Esmail is doing a Metropolis TV adaptation for Apple+.

Hopefully it's better than Foundation in terms of adapting a beloved sci-fi classic, but I trust Esmail, certainly more than the Foundation crew.

It's kind of surprising that Fritz Lang's work has not really been adapted or remade, although I guess you can say that Woman in the Moon, Spione, and M basically became the templates for the space opera, spy-fi, and noir genres.