Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol yeah, I was immediately thinking "OK there is no way they kill off three of their biggest A-lister cast at once, one of which they only just added, in a completely bonkers space disaster stunt that will go down as totally out of tone with the whole rest of the show" and then following that thought up with "OK so I sure hope this doesn't suddenly turn into a sci-fi space action thriller where the three of them have to get back to earth, I hope that casual mention of "Clooney in Gravity" was just a throwaway reference"

That aside, and the "oh god how many way-too-generous-even-if-unflattering Musk analogs do we need" thing aside, TMS is some drat fine TV. Wish I'd had a thread to talk about it in back during S1/S2. I watched the arc of Yanko getting in trouble for calling something his "spirit animal" just as we took a training at work that, as part of a cultural/workplace sensitivity segment, asked people in a group session what their spirit animal was, and I had to mute myself and shut off my camera because I was laughing too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You could be right and I was juggling the two possibilities in my head as I watched, but I think I settled on Musk for the dumb reason that Musk is just so much more in the news and everyone seems to want to “say something” about him. Which may just be on me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was struck by how bad an actor her son is. Like during the scene where he's being overheard, or the bit where he puts his head in his hands and says it's all his fault while hugging her. I was like, is this a bit

But the British kids are genuinely good to watch, like enough to make the show worth recommending, I don't get it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean just from a pitch standpoint, what an idea for an episode. Bunch of kids on the run from the aliens, trapped in the Chunnel. Jazz hands

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm sorry I just really like the Morning Show.

This last episode, the scene with the waitress? I'll never not see writing like that as some kind of superpower.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dude was like "They don't like you because you're a manipulative cold fish. Tell them a story to get them on your side"
She tells them a manipulative story
They become on her side

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beefeater1980 posted:

Invasion just leaves me cold, but I am loving this season of morning show and am at least half in love with Stella. Also the episode where the ad execs demand a waitress licks up(?) a spill(??) is really weird and implausible, I’ve met plenty of nasty and entitled corporate dipshits making crude exercises of power while drunk in my working life, and that still breaks suspension of disbelief. But truth being worse than fiction that probably means that one of the screenwriters has seen it happen.

They'd been gesturing in this direction all season and in retrospect it seems obvious (the beard, the antivaxxing, the provincial doubling-down), but when Hal showed up at January 6 I was like holy poo poo they went there :tviv:

Maybe the first dramatization we've seen of that in an otherwise unrelated context?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I gotta say one of the few bright spots about Invasion is that snotty British kid with the Jason Hervey-ish face, I just love watching his acting. He's really got something

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, I wish more people were talking about The Morning Show. This last episode goes hard, drat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It really made me aware that there's a point in the typical TV season the writers call "rock bottom", usually episode 9. Bradley's life just crashing down around her on every front, one stroke after another. Brutal. Laura's face could freeze the ocean.

I've come around on their handling of Paul too; I was ready to hate him being presented as a way-too-competent Elon Musk as though we didn't have enough of those already, but then it seemed clear they were going more for Bezos and his WaPo acquisition. But the way they've been playing him is still far more sympathetic than I would have expected for a character in that role. He's got empathy, he's got weaknesses, he has A1 in his fridge. He's a billionaire playing with the world but he doesn't treat it as a toy, he wants real human contact and to be loved as a human being. So now that they've gradually revealed his dark secrets and ... they're really not that dark, he's treated some people shittily and he's doing conniving things to keep his company solvent but he isn't a monster. So I'm left unsure of who to root for, since all the sides have a compelling tale to tell. Maybe selling off UBA for parts is good, maybe it deserves to die? What's the point of preserving a corporation just for sentimental reasons because it's lasted a long time and is in the hands of a family represented by an (arguably) racist old crone? Are we supposed to be on Paul's side at this point, or should we be standing fast against the acquisition because we empathize with ... Cory?

Speaking of, what the hell is it about Billy Crudup that it seems like he is always—in other shows too, like Hello Tomorrow—shot from exactly the same angle, in exactly the same pose, in the middle of the screen like a tin soldier, with exactly the same smile on his face. He's just standing there

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My sister-in-law recommended Bad Sisters to me and it's rip-roaring fun 2 eps in. Also a pretty horrifyingly wide-eyed look at how awful people can be, and the mechanism by which they are awful

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Having literally just started Band of Brothers yesterday (first time, two eps in) this is good stuff to hear.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stegosnaurlax posted:

oh poo poo, you haven't even hit the first mind blowing episode yet

Guessing ... the Bastogne one?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember his Russian accent in Rounders lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BOORRN and TOORRN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kind of intrigued to see whether Michael Douglas can possibly pull off Ben Franklin