Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What do you think they “nerfed”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Finally caught up with The Morning Show, and I thought overall it was really good. An excellent examination of the whole #metoo phenomenon. Mitch was a really fantastic portrayal of a horrible man who was unfortunately extremely likeable.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, no Space Shuttle should be the number one most obvious change in the alt-history they're doing. I guess it just too recognisable for them not to include it, unfortunately.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone got any news on when s2 of For All Mankind is due out? Apple just extended my free membership until February and I'm hoping it'll come out in that time.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It was pretty weird that none of the executives could see an upside to launching a streaming service immediately as a pandemic hits.

Overall the second season of The Morning Show was pretty good. The first season is a genuinely great examination of the Me Too phenomenon from all sorts of angles, however it was also a very self-contained story, that really had no reason for continuation. But continue it did, and it basically turned the show into a continuing drama. Which is okay! But it’s lost almost all its focus. Jennifer Anniston is also making some loving big acting choices here. I can’t really say if they’re good or bad, but they are definitely being made.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I've watched through the first 4 or so episodes of Invasion - it's a weird show. It's got this super high-budget, somewhat worthy portentiousness to it, and a stab at "realism", i.e. "this is really how it could go down if aliens invaded" tone. But then that is all undercut by some just bizarre contrivances or maybe outright mistakes. For instance, in the second episode we see the JASA woman on Shibuya crossing as the spaceship destruction is announced. This is presumably a short time after they realised it had happened, at the mission control. Also, we know that unlike with Houston and NASA, the mission control is right where they launched the rockets, as the lady visited the astronauts in their pod in the first episode. This means that in the world of Invasion, Japan is launching rockets within a quick commute of the centre of one of the world's biggest cities. Which is a very bad idea.

Also, what is going on with the UK kids? They are implied to go to a relatively not-posh school in London, which a bit weirdly has its own branded mini-buses. They go on what is presumably a school trip with only one teacher to an unstated location. Since they aren't leaving specially in the early morning or something, it's presumably not a long trip, an hour or two at most. Suddenly they go from the centre of London to a place so rural and remote that they're driving along a tiny road next to a giant hole in the countryside that has no barriers or warnings around it, and no way out if you fall in, of the type that there are a lot around within a hour or two's drive of London?! Inevitably they fall in the hole and do a rubbish version of Lord of the Flies, or perhaps more accurately The Simpsons' Das Bus.

I'm not one for nitpicking, and individually these things wouldn't matter so much. But they're piling up.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 11, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m watching the penultimate episode of Invasion and at the end all the characters in the US, Japan and London look up in the sky and see the same nuclear explosion. That’s not how a round planet works.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The most unrealistic thing about The Shrink Next Door was that in the final scene of the series Paul Rudd looked old, which we all know will never happen.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It’s pretty obvious that the guy asking if people remember him didn’t actually attend the school and is just there for his own reasons, unclear if that makes him likely to be the murderer though.

The songs in Ben Schwarz’s episode are all great and very catchy!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m watching the first episode of WeCrashed, and while I’m enjoying it, it really shows the limits of prequels. No matter what happens in the show I know that the main character is going to lose most of his money, change his name and move to LA where he will use the last of his fortune to fund a movie he will write, direct and star in about how a good man is devastated when he finds out his fiancée Lisa has cheated on him with his good friend Mark. It really defuses the tension if I know where it all ends up.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Don't mind admitting that cut in WeCrashed from "No podcasts!" to RPN on a podcast and then being introduced as "Adam Neumann's wife" had me literally crying with laughter.

Perfect timing and escalation. I mean, it's not Great Art really, but that moment had me, right in the funnybone.

Plucky little Apple.

I liked WeCrashed, but it was clear that the scriptwriter intended the show to be a comedy, and then neither the lead actors nor the directors of the episodes realised that and played it completely straight. It was a bit weird.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The young Welsh woman who is a new addition to the team in the second season of Slow Horses is also the voice of Mio in Xenoblade 3 and Ranni in Elden Ring, fact fans.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Season 1 of Invasion was one of the stupidest shows ever made, but it’s only really on watching the second season that I really appreciated that they had made such a big deal about the aliens being invincible, with only one secret weakness. Which turned out to be fire. Apparently no one thought of trying fire until that one soldier did it. And now humanity is losing to an enemy that doesn’t use projectile weaponry and that a child could probably improv a way to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The most unrealistic thing about Slow Horses was the idea that the UK press wouldn’t dutifully cover up the document leak for MI5