Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Octy posted:

Masters of the Air dropped a trailer a few days ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWohylGm3c

It's been a long wait...

The longest, they better have built a real life Fortress for all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

A MIRACLE posted:

band of brothers was kind of boring

Well, that's a hot take if ever i saw one.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

kri kri posted:

What an awful show title

I hope they don't just cram the Red Tails into an campaign they weren't a part of, I really hope they are doing what they did and flying out of Italy

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Madurai posted:

My wife is furious that Salesforce Tower is seen in SF four years before it was built.

Alternate universes aren't subject to the same design planning and developer red tape we are.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Open Source Idiom posted:

Gimme the odds that Monarch ends up doing Hollow Earth / Mountains Of Madness.

None zero

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Desperado Bones posted:

I hope the season finale is just Godzilla fighting a monster and Jet Jaguar. Don't be a coward Hollywood, you gave me mechagodzilla, now gimme Jet Jaguar!

Megalon please, it's his 50th Birthday. Megalon rules!
e: you can't have Megalon without JJ, it's just not right.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 23, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I thought GvK had a whole Hollow Earth thing already?

Yeah it did, but it didn't really try and explain it or make it cool. Just needed to hand wave a godzilla jeffereies toob

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

If they don't get Kevin R. Free to voice it, there is no justice

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mystes posted:

I feel like this would be pretty easy to gently caress up and hard to do a good job of

Also they really should have gotten someone who's nonbinary to star in it

That would tank it before it ever saw a saw a release date

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I don't trust any premium/streaming company outside of HBO.

HBO can't be trusted these days, Zaslav is throwing shows off building with two in the back of the head.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Slow Horses really amped up the stakes this season and it's been great. Except I was lol'in at the last episode where the dogs pretend to try and kill the people in the document room when they would have just immediately thrown in 3 grenades and been done with it. That's what eventually happens but they wait until one of their own is shot which is lol.

You can hand wave it away and say they weren't ordered to destroy documents.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CaptainN posted:

All of the Slow Horses scenes at the records store were really poor.
They would have all been dead within minutes. Weapons arsenal in the boot of the car? Woman who can't hold a gun taking out soldiers? The tiny woman beating a solider in 1-on-1 combat? River shaking off a bomb blast in seconds? Dumb action nonsense which was totally out of place with the rest of the show. I'd be surprised if that is how it was written in the books.

All of those can be explained by telling you to loving relax

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

As far as “woman who can’t hold a gun taking out soldiers” goes, wasn’t it explicitly shown the guns did jam? And besides, theoretically they all have training of some degree due to being in MI5 to begin with, they just hosed up along the way. So they all *should* be at least semi-capable fighters, especially against the airsoft cosplayers that make up the security team

Both Marcus and Shirley fire guns like people who have never had training. Marcus especially.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Just pointing it out, not getting annoyed by it

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mcbexx posted:

I remember reading that Gary Oldman wanted to retire from acting after Slow Horses ended after four seasons, seems they won't let him.

Maybe he's having fun

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Kloaked00 posted:

With the most recent episode of Monarch, I knew there was something familiar about blue underground portals taking modern-day people to a pre-historic type land filled with dangers......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmcx0PWPYj0

Yeah, La Brea did it recently too.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Data Graham posted:

Having literally just started Band of Brothers yesterday (first time, two eps in) this is good stuff to hear.

oh poo poo, you haven't even hit the first mind blowing episode yet

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Man, that is a good trailer. Apple does one thing right, they aren't scared of forking out money for weird sci-fi

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Data Graham posted:

Guessing ... the Bastogne one?

Carentan

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

XYZAB posted:

Ext. Mustang. Camera zooms in on aft. exterior undercarriage. Hold close. We see the rear radiator duct flap fully extend. A stream of blue-hot jet exhaust bursts forth, replete with an elongating series of shock diamonds plainly visible. Wide shot. The wings of the P-51 fold backward as the aircraft overtakes the Me-262 in its crosshairs. The Me-262 reverses thrust to shake off the P-51 and the two planes are now engaged in a flat-spin mach 2 dogfight traveling upward and bursting through a stream of bombers.

I have to stop myself.

It'll be more realistic if the ME262 pilot farts and the stupid glass cannon explodes

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

I just watched the first episode and it felt weirdly... anemic? Like I could see the money on the screen obviously but it somehow still felt like everybody was going through the motions, nothing had any real weight, the characters don't feel particularly real, there's nothing there character-wise to make me feel any kind of connection with them.

I don't think it is unfair to compare it to Band of Brothers since it is the third show in that "series", but that did an incredible job of getting me invested in the soldiers of Easy Company and in particular Winters IMMEDIATELY stands out as somebody I wanted to see more of/know more about. Right now it seems the two main characters are meant to be Bucky and "Buck" and neither of them feel particularly interesting, and Bucky in particular is kinda aggravating when I think he's supposed to come off as likeable and we should be pulling for him to be allowed to go back to leading missions instead of being in the Air Executive?

Band of Brothers had one thing going for it that made it real, and that was the old timers talking about it and making everyone cry

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

Okay yeah, after episode 2 Bucky is just really loving annoying, he seems like an absolutely insufferable and exhausting person to be around. Maybe that's the point? Like, I get the feeling his "best friend" Buck (a nickname that Bucky forced on him) can't really stand him either?

I feel a bit mean making judgment calls like that given these are based (as far as I know) on real people/relationships so I guess just put it down to the performance not really nailing whatever the actual people were like?

I did like that even though most of them spoke highly of Winters, you'd still get guys going,"Yeah he was okay... as far as ranking officers went :shrug:"

Aviation nicknames are kinda forced on you.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The first episode felt like they borrowed (badly) from Memphis Belle, and I feel like the time wasted in Greenland could've been used with an opener showcasing their last bombing practice.

Yeah, and they're almost never complimentary.

There's a legendary story about how a Hornet pilot got the callsign "STAB." It's short for "poo poo Twice And Boltered." Source: https://www.theautopian.com/how-i-got-my-navy-callsign-by-making GBS threads-myself-in-an-f-a-18-fighter-jet-twice/

In Top Gun, Jester had the best callsign because he had zero chill, and Goose had the second best because of his laugh.

What's even more hilarious is you can ask to be given a new callsign after a while, but you roll the dice the other officers doesn't come up with something worse

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Blind Rasputin posted:

Uh yeah just finished first episode of Constellation and this is equal parts Event Horizon, 12 Monkeys, and the house parts of Returnal for sure. Crazy stuff. Really good.

I'm 3 episodes deep and i have no loving idea is going on.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CeeJee posted:

I think in the show, space travel also is alternate world travel. If you leave Earth you end up coming back to a different one. Bud went to the moon but when coming back he ended up in a reality where he messed up something that killed the other astronauts. And his dog had a different name which the Alex Jones guy thinks means he's lying about everything. Jo has come back to a world where she is estranged from her husband, her daughter speaks no Swedish, she seems to have a relation with the ESA boss and her car is a different color. Both Bud and Irina talk about their brother/sister so there seems to be some awareness with them of other versions of themselves.
In the hearing Irina looked like knew exactly how right Jo was about the corpse (another Irina) but could not say that and quickly ended the session.

If this is indeed true that means space travel is pretty much impossible and Bud's experiments are to find ways to deal with it. The experiment is not held on the ISS for the zero gravity but to be away from Earth. And when he sees the experiment work on Earth he's shocked, this should be impossible. Maybe the experiment brought the reality fuckery to Earth as demonstrated by the strange poo poo Jo sees as she's carrying around the canister with the experimental matter.

Yeah, i didn't get most of that. I really should pay attention more instead of trying to kill mosters when i watch space timey wimey stuff.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

ShowTime posted:

I finished up episode 3 of Constellation and hot drat aren't Noomi Rapace and Jonathan Banks killing it? Jonathan Banks is giving me hard Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul vibes.

I'm trying to research this new state of, and maybe someone smarter than me has some insight into it: matter. This new thing they were looking at was found and is clearly affecting everything. I guess plasma? We clearly see them exist in two states at once. I don't know what that could be, but i think they found it. Episode 3 talking ahead. We get shots of things like Alice walking down an alley, one behind the other. One is in front, goes a direction and the other is behind, a little slower and we don't know the direction. They're talking about existing in two places at once, I don't get it. Some things are pretty clear, as far as the back story, which is I think ultimately gonna wrap up this show. Jo and Frederic are loving. It's why Jo and Magnus, well among probably several things, are having issues.

Also, wtf does Henry, "Bud" have? He's looking worse and worse over time. These spots on his skin. Him and Irene are taking these same pills. I'm pretty loving lost here, right now. I have an idea of what's going on, but I feel like I don't.

Good show, worth watching.

I'm pretty sure he says it's some kind of condensate. The only one i know of is the Bose-Einstein condensate which they have made on the ISS. How they did it with lasers seems like that's what they did in the show.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Blind Rasputin posted:

I wonder if it’s going to be some Neutrino-antineutrino pair or some [insert boson]matter-antimatter in stable matter configuration or something. There are a lot of neutrinos in space from the sun. If this whole alternate realities thing is about the world-antiworld states sticking together…

I can get on board with that, but if they explain it any worse than everything else it might be pointless going that deep into the science.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lmao at the notoriously difficult to beat poker player having the most egregiously obvious tell imaginable

Wasn't this movie the start of the Poker boom, when people didn't know poo poo about it?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SimonChris posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-reviews/sugar-review-colin-farrell-apple-1234996609/

Apparently, this has a crazy twist in episode six that turns it into a completely different show. None of the reviewers will spoil it, so now I'm going to be looking for clues for most of the season. Is Colin Farrel a robot? Living in the matrix? What???

drat it, i accidently rolled over that. Any chance next time you can put the soilery bit at the end of the sentence?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

ShowTime posted:

I'm also really enjoying Sugar and avoiding reading as much about it as I can. Colin Farrell is fantastic in everything. Episode 3 really threw me for a loop though.

Yeah, it really did. I might have to watch it again

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone know anything about Dark Matter coming out next week? It popped up on one of my feeds and it's sci-fi and I like sci-fi in general but I'm not aware of the books, and it seems like there's already another show in recent history called Dark Matter.

Yeah the old one by the stargate guy, it's unrelated.

The book for the new Dark Matter is pretty drat good.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 4, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Scrotum Modem posted:

Dark Matter: man, does it feel like this story has been done a million times before

e: at least he figured out what's going on by episode 2. It would've been a slog if it went longer

also Jennifer Connelly lookin smokin hot, nothing new there

The only 50+ actress that tops her is Tricia Helfer.

The intro for the show is slightly different to the book so far, but i'm only 30 mins in.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
In hindsight, it was a little misleading.