Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Watched the first episode of Constellation today starring Noomi Rapace, James d'Acy and Jonathan Banks. Rapace plays an astronaut aboard the ISS where an experiment to discover a new state of matter is done and it goes as well as these things go usually. Not sure if this a Dark or Event Horizon kind of reality breakdown but a painting in her cabin is now different so alternate realities seem like a good bet.

I liked it a lot so far, Rapace is always compelling to watch, even in some recent questionable quality work and it looks great with Michelle MacLaren of Breaking Bad directing. Good space stuff too like how to do zero-G CPR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'm 3 episodes deep and i have no loving idea is going on.

I think in the show, space travel also is alternate world travel. If you leave Earth you end up coming back to a different one. Bud went to the moon but when coming back he ended up in a reality where he messed up something that killed the other astronauts. And his dog had a different name which the Alex Jones guy thinks means he's lying about everything. Jo has come back to a world where she is estranged from her husband, her daughter speaks no Swedish, she seems to have a relation with the ESA boss and her car is a different color. Both Bud and Irina talk about their brother/sister so there seems to be some awareness with them of other versions of themselves.
In the hearing Irina looked like knew exactly how right Jo was about the corpse (another Irina) but could not say that and quickly ended the session.

If this is indeed true that means space travel is pretty much impossible and Bud's experiments are to find ways to deal with it. The experiment is not held on the ISS for the zero gravity but to be away from Earth. And when he sees the experiment work on Earth he's shocked, this should be impossible. Maybe the experiment brought the reality fuckery to Earth as demonstrated by the strange poo poo Jo sees as she's carrying around the canister with the experimental matter.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Anyone watched Liaison with Vincent Cassel and Eva Green? It's about Anglo-French spies and a cyber terror plot in London.
I watched the first and while the cast is great it feels like it's going down a road plot wise I've seen a hundred times already.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Jerusalem posted:

Ahhh man, you had me pumped up with that first line (Vincent Cassel and Eva Green as spies sounds loving awesome) and punctured my enthusiasm with the second :smith:

In the end it was not as bad as I feared. The twists are predictable but not dragged out too much and Green and Cassel are reallly good. The Syrian refugees are great too.
The plot device of the comically evil PMC with moles everywhere and heavily armed teams operating freely in Europe is getting used too much at the moment I think.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
As low key psychological horror Constellation works better than as a Sci Fi show. The idea of your memories being wrong and no longer matching reality while still catching glimpses of what you remember is pretty horrible.
They are taking the easy way out by making the differences easy to film like a different color car and only one actress now speaking Swedish. Coming back to a reality where Swedish is the common language instead of English would be cooler, a major change like Apollo 18 failing or not long ago would have changed so much more than is shown here.

I do like the idea of liminal spaces as if reality is fixed into place by the outcome of countless concious choices made and in places where no such choices happen like space or an empty forest things are not as fixed. For the show I'm not sure where there is for the characters to accomplish. They cannot go back to the reality they came from and even then the tragedy stil happens, just to a different family.