Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sch posted:

I loved it, very entertaining. The show is always just this side of cartoonish, but they continually manage to pull it off, at least for me, keeping things believable within the universe of the show. Ho comes up with a plan a kid would think is cool.

mystes posted:

i actually felt a little bad for ho at just how useless he was lol. like the show wouldn't even let him accidentally help

"Would you care to walk us through your thinking here?" absolutely cracked me up :allears:

Didn't realize this was the thread where all the Slow Horses talk was happening, what a great treat of a show to discover, do we have any idea when season 4 will come out?

Edit:

Sch posted:

Lamb grumpily Home-Alone-ing the intruders with low-tech traps is just perfect.

Loved that guy's,"Ahhh gently caress," reaction when he stepped on the Pringles and realized what he'd done :laugh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Slow Horses: For once I gave River the benefit of the doubt, based purely on his subdued reaction to his grandfather burning the document. Even accounting for his weariness, he's far too dramatic a personality to have just let that go uncommented on if he HADN'T backed up the documents. Plus, to be fair, season one's resolution hinged on River figuring out that Webb wouldn't destroy the Fiasco file so he'd at least have had that on his mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

To briefly summarise, he wanted to do a TV show where he gets to develop a character over a long period of time but also didn't want too much hassle, so he asked his manager "find a show thats well-written, where I use my own accent, there's no prosthetics, minimal costume changes and its sort of spy/espionage themed" and yeah, what a match made in heaven.

Goddamn, give his agent a raise!

Peak male performance :hai:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 3, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

In season 2 you can kind of forget that the slow horses are a bunch of real fuckups.

In season 3 you really really can’t.

E: Still crack up thinking about Big Rod’s Party Bus crashing through the porch

Just an amazing moment after all that buildup :allears:

Also in season 3, I find myself both appalled and delighted by Webb telling River,"You're special and we both know it" in order to get him to do what he wanted... and it loving worked! His whole plan, and unknown to him also Taverner's larger plot, all hinged on the fact that River hasn't yet figured out he's not the temporarily embarrassed hero of a spy novel :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Watched the first episode of Criminal Record, a show about a potential wrongful conviction and the possibility that the now DCI who lead the case - Peter Capaldi - and his team may have pushed it through on racial grounds. Cush Jumbo is the other lead, I don't think I've ever seen her in anything before (she was in The Good Wife apparently?) but she's pretty good. I don't know if it's gonna be anything groundbreaking or blowaway, but it's well-made and Capaldi is always a treat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The trailer is superb and I definitely am going to check it out, but yeah my familiarity with the writer is entirely his Doctor Who stuff and they were really, really bad, so I really hope it turns out he just needed the freedom to write his own thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just watched the first episode and it felt weirdly... anemic? Like I could see the money on the screen obviously but it somehow still felt like everybody was going through the motions, nothing had any real weight, the characters don't feel particularly real, there's nothing there character-wise to make me feel any kind of connection with them.

I don't think it is unfair to compare it to Band of Brothers since it is the third show in that "series", but that did an incredible job of getting me invested in the soldiers of Easy Company and in particular Winters IMMEDIATELY stands out as somebody I wanted to see more of/know more about. Right now it seems the two main characters are meant to be Bucky and "Buck" and neither of them feel particularly interesting, and Bucky in particular is kinda aggravating when I think he's supposed to come off as likeable and we should be pulling for him to be allowed to go back to leading missions instead of being in the Air Executive?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okay yeah, after episode 2 Bucky is just really loving annoying, he seems like an absolutely insufferable and exhausting person to be around. Maybe that's the point? Like, I get the feeling his "best friend" Buck (a nickname that Bucky forced on him) can't really stand him either?

I feel a bit mean making judgment calls like that given these are based (as far as I know) on real people/relationships so I guess just put it down to the performance not really nailing whatever the actual people were like?

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Band of Brothers had one thing going for it that made it real, and that was the old timers talking about it and making everyone cry

I did like that even though most of them spoke highly of Winters, you'd still get guys going,"Yeah he was okay... as far as ranking officers went :shrug:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eason the Fifth has made a Masters of the Air thread for those interested in discussing it more in depth.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Re: Slow Horses:

The good news is that there's only 18 episodes so far, so you'll be able to easily watch it all before your trial runs out.

The bad news is that there's only 18 episodes so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CeeJee posted:

Anyone watched Liaison with Vincent Cassel and Eva Green? It's about Anglo-French spies and a cyber terror plot in London.
I watched the first and while the cast is great it feels like it's going down a road plot wise I've seen a hundred times already.

Ahhh man, you had me pumped up with that first line (Vincent Cassel and Eva Green as spies sounds loving awesome) and punctured my enthusiasm with the second :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looking at oreos in growing horror
"NYET! NYET!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So it sounds like Constellation ended up being just a bigger version of Harness' Doctor Who writing where he didn't quite seem to understand himself what point he was trying to make?

Edit: I caught the first episode and I really dug the "she's alone on the space station and has 15 minutes to work on repairs before having to bunker down for a couple of hours, and there's only limited time before she's basically dead unless she can get poo poo working" thing, but the stuff with the cabin made me figure that probably wasn't going to be what the entire series was about.

I was one of those who really liked the movie Gravity, so I would have been thrilled with more of that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I watched the first episode, show is interesting at least, I loved the scene where he collapses but he's still standing in the mirror apparently watching himself. I do wish I didn't know there is supposed to be some kind of twist though, since now I'm looking out for it/reading too much into things.