Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Holy poo poo For All Mankind is amazing and goes from strength to strength.
I'm really sad it's on a service that nobody (at least here in the UK) has, or often has even heard of! It feels loving WASTED there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Paddyo posted:

I thought so too until they turned Karen into a sociopath in season 2.

What do you think a sociopath is

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Invasion get better? Just watched the first episode out of boredom and I’m pretty sure I came out more bored at the end.

There's someone on twitter called Spaceshipper who really loves slow burn stuff and even they said Invasion was too slow.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I think is more of a personality thing than format thing, I am a proponent of weekly drops and I enjoyed both of the "bonus" episodes, but I also don't mind when shows take their time getting to wherever they're headed. Beard wandering around for a night by himself to sort out his feelings would work for me in any context.

I'd say it's both. Some stuff just feels extremely different when you don't have to wait.
I remember as a teen watching DS9 and the station felt like it was occupied for absolutely loving forever but when you binge it, it's only a few episodes. Stuff like that really does alter how the show flows for you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've enjoyed these three episodes of Constellation and I'm kinda sad that they're going to weekly releases. I feel like mystery shows just kinda wind me up on weekly release since you forget bits and it's harder to piece together.

Clearly Bud and Henry are the same one person and we're seeing both realities. I notice that when he killed Shaun Dingwall that Dingwall had no idea who Henry was and the idea that there's twin brothers with the same career path seems pretty unlikely. Plus the news called him Henry and he's not going "Wait that's my brother's name!" or whatever. Also that during the romance scene with Irina the song was "The Other Half of Me".

I did think the USSR woman who hit the ISS would end up being Irina as soon as we saw her really, it can't really be anyone else.

I will say I'm getting a little annoyed at them not explaining stuff to each other. Alice is stressed but she seems really sensible so when she sees Wendy smash the rabbit up, then it's just vanished and wendy is elsewhere and the rabbit is okay I feel like she'd be more confused. Like "What the gently caress is going on" instead of going all in being mad.
Or that Alice spoke Swedish in the start of the film and when they watched it back on the screen it was in English, but Jo didn't say anything? She said to her husband "Why doesn't Alice speak swedish any more" (which seems a loving massive deal) and just ignored his answer.

I'd be okay with that if she hadn't been SO intense about what she saw, like she remembers her reality pretty strongly. It's like they're all kinda scared of confrontation.
If we find later that your memories of the other reality are fuzzy then I'm alright with what I've put here but I'm still a bit bothered by it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They didn't both go to space!
Twin brothers landing on the moon together, that'd be way more of a big deal

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SimonChris posted:

Another cool Constellation detail that I just found out about :

When Jo and her daughter is talking on the tablet at the beginning of episode 1, we are seeing both versions of them. When they switch to speaking English, the daughter's clothes change (and the actress too, I suppose. The daughters are played by twin girls). Edit: Her hairstyle also changes.

Oh poo poo that I hadn't noticed
I'm still mad she hasn't made more of a big deal of her daughter no longer speaking swedish!

Also it's really funny to me that the husband is called "Magnus Ericsson" but is British.

Cojawfee posted:

Just watched the fourth episode of Constellation. Still more slow burning but a bit more plot development. The story is interesting, but I wish they would stop with the time skips. Jo is talking to Bud at ESA, then he's on that cruise ship arguing with the conspiracy guy. I don't know why it's so difficult to just tell the story in order. Unless it is in order and one Bud is in on reality and the other is in another reality.

You quoted my post where I specifically said they were different people but the same person and then you said this which is genuinely baffling to me!
I feel like if they were brothers then Bud's reaction to being called Henry would be really different

God okay TWO TWIN BROTHERS landing on the moon together is madness considering how few people have gone up there. That's what I mean.

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 28, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Don't make me post space quadruplets

IF they all landed on the moon then go for it!!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

For All Mankind is great from 1-4
It's less realistic (sorta) in 3/4 but it's still good. It just depends how you feel about interpersonal drama I think. I'm fine with it, some people hate it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm getting frustrated with Constellation because it feels like if they just talked about what they're seeing then it might lead to something. Right now it feels like the mystery is really obvious to the viewer (even from episode 2) and we're just watching the characters work it out.

There's an episode of Stargate where daniel goes to another reality and it's like 40 solid minutes before he works it out even though everything is different and it's feeling like that.
I'm calling it "English Reality" (the one with Henry) and "Swedish Reality" (the one with Bud).

I find it hard to accept that Jo goes to English reality and isn't surprised by a load of other poo poo being different. I get that it would be very hard to accept something like "I'm in another dimension" but gently caress there's SO MUCH that's changed, even the entire layout of her house. The fact that she can play the piano I think they could have riffed on and made it so she's confused and has fragments of both realities in her memory but it doesn't feel like it's going that way?

In this episode I thought they were going to show us that in Swedish Reality the ship had two pods on it - because the accident wasn't as bad - and Paul was going to leave Jo's body in the Soyuz and let it go, so that's why we saw him in the window when she got sent off.
But they didn't. I guess that in space as someone mentioned it's a liminal space so there's loads of realities and not just the two we're directly engaging with, which is fine but doesn't seem as interesting as the idea of him letting her go. I also kinda feel like if liminal space makes you swap reality then it should happen on boats all the time but perhaps we'll get a bermuda triangle sorta thing dropped in.

I do like that it's clear that in Swedish reality Jo is MUCH closer to her kid. But I also feel like in Swedish reality the mission wouldn't actually have gone ahead at all because Apollo 18 was such an unmitigated disaster it would have meant funding was cut all over. I wasn't thinking about that before but because they've now focused on it so much I keep thinking about it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 14, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CeeJee posted:

As low key psychological horror Constellation works better than as a Sci Fi show. The idea of your memories being wrong and no longer matching reality while still catching glimpses of what you remember is pretty horrible.
They are taking the easy way out by making the differences easy to film like a different color car and only one actress now speaking Swedish. Coming back to a reality where Swedish is the common language instead of English would be cooler, a major change like Apollo 18 failing or not long ago would have changed so much more than is shown here.

I do like the idea of liminal spaces as if reality is fixed into place by the outcome of countless concious choices made and in places where no such choices happen like space or an empty forest things are not as fixed. For the show I'm not sure where there is for the characters to accomplish. They cannot go back to the reality they came from and even then the tragedy stil happens, just to a different family.

Yea I almost feel like the show is building to the characters realising (our characters, clearly Bud/Henry know about it already) that they're in another reality...and then what? We've known since episode 2 at least. But there's only two episodes left so what else could it be leading to?
They're really pushing that observation angle so yea, it seems that's what they want us to take away from the show.

So far I really like the concept but I feel like they're doing it in quite a boring way. The horror moments ARE good though, I agree.

The reddit for the show is really flat because there's not anything to hypothesise. It gives us the information that it's given us and the reasons behind other stuff cannot be puzzled out. So it's people just posting really obvious stuff and that's about it. Which is a shame

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 14, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Attack on Princess posted:

It's hard to tell if there's more mysteries or if they're loose ends from poor writing. Like you Taear mentioned earlier, the pod undocking doesn't make sense. There's also English Alice having seen Irene's corpse and talked to her, and that feels like it was only added to stop Jo questioning herself. It doesn't fit the narrative we've seen.

I liked that Swedish Magnus understands Swedish though. I can't remember if they established that for English Magnus earlier, but that makes it more endearing when Jo calls him Mog Gnooose.

Swedish wise I think the idea is just that they're all closer. Which is nice.
Making a guy called fuckin' magnus ericsson english is hilarious to me though

I can't get over Paul's wife having a different name though. They really need to get across to us "they feel disorientated and confused and that's why they're not questioning this stuff enough" and I really feel like they've not done that very well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

frogbs posted:

Constellation seems designed some someone who has never watched or read science fiction before.

I compared it before but there's an episode of Stargate SG1 where Daniel comes through the stargate to a parallel universe where earth is being destroyed by the Goa'uld.
ALMOST everything is different and his other-universe equivalent has already died. AND YET it takes him until the episode is nearly done to work out that it's another universe, he just thinks he's confused. Even though things are different in a way where you wouldn't just forget, you wouldn't just be mistaken.

This whole show is making me feel like that. I assume Stargate is like that because the writers think the audience won't understand the concept of it being another universe and so far this whole show has that same air, that they think you won't understand what's going on unless they REALLY push it at you.

Obviously people are disorientated and stuff in this but I find it really hard to accept that a person who is going to push and push saying "no, I saw a dead cosmonaut hit the station" wouldn't also go "wait, my daughter and husband spoke swedish before what the gently caress"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

God that last episode of Constellation was annoying as gently caress.
So there's a third dimension I guess? Or another space between them, where the house is abandoned? Since both Alices were in separate ones I guess every dimension has that "underside" bit.

Her finally saying to Alice "So you can't speak Swedish" and then coming to the realisation that we've known since episode 2 just frustrated me, I dunno. Bud and Henry swapping back was interesting. But with just a single episode left I don't know what payoff they can give us that isn't just going to be "wait until series 2!" or just generally unimpressive.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The show is a lot of "weird poo poo is happening and my daughter is scared and confused. Should I tell her I'm seeing weird stuff too? No, I will gaslight her."

I think (I said before) if they made it so Jo was kinda confused and both realities were merging in her head it'd be okay. But they don't! She even really fights about what she saw in space but seems totally fine that the layout of her house is different, the people who are there are different and all sorts of other poo poo.
They COULD have made this work - even if they told us that the lithium was making them confused, they just don't bother at all.

It's like they expect the viewers to be TOTALLY baffled by the mystery even though it's pretty clearly and obviously laid out. I mentioned before but the reddit barely has any theorising because there's just nothing to theorise about until this last episode maybe.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 21, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Making your show entirely about scientists (including a noble prize winner) and astronauts and having them being entirely uncurious and unforthcoming is an odd choice. At least do an exposition dump as to why they would find this area touchy.

Yea. Like one thing I really enjoy in Star Trek is when someone comes up and says "Stuff's gone weird" to the other characters they don't say "Shut up that makes no sense" they look into it
And honestly I'd expect astronauts to do that exact same thing in this case.

A lot of the reddit keeps posting about how confusing and "well done" the story is but it's legit just two universes where a character died and swapped with their alive person in the other universe. That's it. We have the mystery of why this hasn't happened with Bud/Henry and why Alice can see the other world but that's kinda it. And it just keeps showing us "there's two universes. Did you know? There's two. Whoa! Look at how there's two universes" and it's getting proper boring.

I kinda feel like I'm expecting a story on the same level as Dark and it's just not happening. AND in Dark when things change the characters themselves understand even if they hide it, they're not just instantly baffled by the changes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

huh posted:

I enjoyed Constellation to keep watching until the end but I didn't understand it enough to determine if the show stayed faithful to its own internal logic. Why did Bud/Henry switch places? We'll never know, and it probably doesn't matter. But it confused the hell out of me.

Bud clearly did it himself, but why? Who knows. We don't even really know why Henry was making the CAL. There wasn't anything you weren't understanding there - it just doesn't actually tell us.

I feel like they wanted to tell a really specific incredibly boring obvious story. We had two decent episodes exploring an interesting concept then just span our wheels about the same concept for the rest of the runtime.

This really does show they didn't really care much for the concept I think

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The why of why Bud did it is pretty obvious. Whatever happened on that mission, he didn't gently caress up, his astronauts were still alive. Then something happens and they are dead. I'm guessing he gets back to Earth, there's an investigation, it doesn't go well for him, and then his life is in shambles, he loses the job at NASA and all he's got is that book he wrote that has a bunch of things that don't match his real life in that reality. Over time he notices Henry and realizes that Henry is living the life he was supposed to live. Henry's astronauts lived, he clearly keeps working at NASA and wins a nobel prize and makes the CAL. It's pretty obvious that Bud would want that life that should have been his. The how is what we don't know. It seems that when Bud doesn't take his meds, he is able to do things to Henry. He made Henry piss his pants when talking to what's his face about going up to the lake house. I'm guessing that being in the liminal space of the lake and the CAL being there, Bud was able to wish hard enough to switch with Henry that it became possible.

Sorry when I say why I mean "why was he able to do that" not "why would he do it"
I mean why the gently caress did they just leave Henry lying in the snow and all leave as well? Him waking up there smashing the CAL and leaving himself felt absolutely bizarre to me. Like you came up there with this really important guy and he's just vanished and nobody's gone "Uh wait"

Jerusalem posted:

So it sounds like Constellation ended up being just a bigger version of Harness' Doctor Who writing where he didn't quite seem to understand himself what point he was trying to make?

It feels like a case of "he had a story about how people react to being in a totally different circumstance" but the vehicle of the dimensions that he used to tell it and his splashes of explanation meant what you're looking for is more explanation and that's just absolutely not the story he's telling.
So you end up feeling sorta ripped off by the end.

There's SO loving MUCH of the show that could be resolved by people actually saying what they think is going on. So much of it. And it never happens, it gets more and more and more frustrating as the show goes on.

The baffling cameo with Christopher Fairbanks in the last episode felt like it was lifted from a different show honestly.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 28, 2024