Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I recommend AppleTV to everyone I know that is looking for a good streaming service. Not only does it have good content, but they are liberal with free trials and only $4.99 after that. For that, you get access to many old, great series and movies with new ones coming out constantly. I really don't know how they keep sub costs low and provide so many great series. I think right now they are just building up a catalog and user base before upping to $7.99 in a couple years and then $9.99 a couple years after that. Meanwhile Netflix is pushing like $20 or something and adding ads or some poo poo? I'm on the brink of canceling mine, but I can't because my mom, my niece and 2 of my nephews use it.

Edit: forgot to add the recs you are looking for: i'd recommend catching up on SEE, the 3rd season starts next week and I love the premise of it. Jason Mamoa as a bad rear end in a world full of blind people? Ted Lasso is also really good. For movies, while they don't have a ton and seem to focus on series, CODA is a must watch. Finch and Palmer were also great. Palmer kind of came out of nowhere for me but I really enjoyed it.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I need to catch up on See. I was excited for it's final season, the first episode was lacking but by episode 2 I was back interested. Unfortunately it kind of dipped off again for me around episode 4 or 5 and I haven't bothered to catch up. Doesn't help that there are so many good shows available right now.

Has anyone watched Shantaram yet? I'm a fan of Charlie Hunnam and it sounds interesting.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I finally caught up and finished SEE and I was kind of disappointed. I still think its a good series overall, but the last season was really lackluster. Baba Voss was great and always has been. Sibeth continued to kill it (and everyone) while being super weird, but the plot was really dumb and simple, stretched out over like 8 episodes.

Is there ever any hint as to who Kofun's biological father was? Was it Harlan? It was revealed that Maghra came to Alkenny already pregnant, so Baba Voss isn't the father. Was that addressed in an earlier season and i'm just forgetting? And the last scene, where they find the library full of sighted people: how did they get a map to get there? I realize it was given to them by Maghra, but how did she find out about it?

I guess I just had a lot of questions and while I probably missed where the answers came from, I don't wanna go back and rewatch any of it to figure it out myself.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Ahhhhh, yea I remember that now. It's been a long time since I watched that season.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watching the third episode of Shrinking now, and yeah i think I like this show. Segel's a great sad sack and the show's funny when it wants to be. Though it mostly doesn't want to be -- there's an entire three minute scene in this episode where there's exactly one joke, and that's Michael Urie saying the word "cornhole". So yeah, it's on the drama end of the dramedy scale, closer to something like Casual. (Which is fine, I really liked Casual.)

On a more high falutin level, I'd say the show "suffers" from not having a particularly strong concept behind it; it's really about a loose tangle of people who happen to be in each other's orbits rather than a show about a shrink and his patients, or whatever. But I think that just means it's a more traditional, low-concept set-up, something I'm not used to seeing on screen that much anymore. I like that too.

So what I'm saying is that this was entirely not what I expected, but now I've got a better sense of what it's like I'm far more into it.

Nailed exactly how I was feeling about it . I like it, but it's not amazing or anything. I wasn't even going to watch it until I watched an interview with Brett Goldstein who was promoting it on Colbert or something. Goldstein told a story of trying to get Harrison Ford involved. Harrison read the script and told him that it was the best script he had ever read. If Harrison Ford says that, i'm gonna watch whatever he's talking about. It was also a really charming, funny story (and interview) and tipped me off to Goldstein being a writer of both Shrinking and Ted Lasso (among many other things).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

My only problem with Shrinking is the plot of Jason Segel's high school daughter and the Afghanistan war vet and them trying to justify it as her wanting to sleep with him and she'll make it happen.

I haven't watched the last couple episodes of it but are they still sticking with that loving theme? I hope to hell not.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea that looks incredible, based on just the cast shown. I'll try and keep from reading too much about it so I can stay excited. I bet it's gonna be a hit with the Fallout crowd.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I feel the same way about Severance. Just wasn't for me.

I've been watching Extrapolations and it's pretty good. Really bleak, obviously. It's about climate change and takes place over several decades (based on episode titles at least that appears to be the case). It's got a huge cast of A+ level actors.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

The Meryl Streep whale in Extrapolations is far funnier than I think it’s meant to be

Yea that poo poo was at times hilarious and at times very sad. This is one of the shows I look forward too though and I'm excited to see the the one tomorrow that has Edward Norton in it.

Caught up on Shrinking in time for the season finale and it's way better than it started out. It's got very funny moments, very sad moments, very happy moments, some cringe moments, really just the whole spectrum of emotions. I can see why Harrison Ford really got sold on it via the script.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The season finale of Shrinking was great. Wrapped the season up nicely and added some elements for a potential Season 2.

But holy poo poo, that new Extrapolations episode was insane. I never saw that coming. Makes me wish I had a thread for it. That's basically the nuclear climate change option and is gonna set up the next several episodes nicely. The way the show works, I imagine we'll see the aftermath 5-10 or more years later. I have no idea if covering the whole earth in ash would actually do what they say it does, but they done did it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is Extrapolations a normal linear drama or is it an anthology show? Was kinda hard to tell from the trailer, but that cast list screamed ‘anthology’

Bit of both, actually. It's progressing, telling different stories in anthology style. Each episode is years or decades after the last. But some of the characters are interconnected in ways, with the overall plot of a world struggling with climate change. If you watch up to and including Episode 4 you'll see that every episode is a bit interconnected. A character from the very first episode is affecting things in the 4th and even appears briefly.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, I couldn't get through it. Not really my type of show. Which, from my experience with Severance, tells me it will be acclaimed and win a bunch of awards.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The Tetris movie is available now, anyone watched it yet? Suppose to be pretty dang good. Taron Egerton can basically do no wrong in my eyes. I've loved everything he's done since The Kingsman.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Extrapolations has been insanely good. Top three new shows of the year, IMO.

I also really enjoyed the Hello, Tomorrow! finale (I thought the penultimate episode was a bit bum) and hope it gets renewed. Smart move to change the show's location for next season and I hope the show can lean into something a bit meaner with its new set-ups, but I still really enjoyed the very odd, very silly show.

Some of the episode seem to miss a little, but as an anthology I think it works well. I love how well they do the mixture of a decaying, dying planet mixed with new, advanced technology. A city block, covered in trash and thick smog, but all the windows are touch screen, cell phones are integrated directly into your brain, allowing for augmented reality, drones deliver everything, etc. It's practical, but fiction. 50 years ago, homes barely had color television. In 50 years, of course we'll have technology integrated directly into us.

Also, holy heck did they get some stars. Every episode basically has 3-10 AAA level actors. A lot of them are doing it because of the topic, but the budget for this show still must be off the charts.

I don't think it's gonna win any kind of awards, but it's still a good show. Like a 7/10 for me.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You could kind of skip around Extrapolations and it not affect your understanding of the show. It's an anthology show, and while there is a little bit of connectivity, it's loose. There is a major event in the middle of the series and I swear it hasn't even affected things. I just finished Episode 7 and it was lovely and basically completely standalone. One of my favorite episodes and I loved the twist at the end.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Solid ending for Extrapolations. The ideas they presented had some truth to them, but some of it was a bit too optimistic. I can't get over how weird they made Jon Snow look, but I like how he was in Ep 1 and has been just in the background the entire season. He's super old now and I guess they have de-aging, or a way to stop aging, technology worked out? Kind of interesting with all the recent news about billionaires funding that kind of technology. The E-Judges thing was hilarious. I guess in the future we'll choose our judges like we choose our browsers.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I dunno, that's kind of a tough one and just bad exposition. I think that as Anna is looking out the window, she sees the LifePause vehicle pull up and sees an opportunity to get out of a lovely life. The entire time she's seeing this couple with a great life that shes clearly jealous of and hers isn't going well (in debt, everyone she knows is dead, etc) and just leaps at it. Then she declines the tip because with that LifePause service, you don't need money. With this great life, why would they be leaving? What's really confusing is that she didn't know who it was there for, but assumes its the guy, takes the big male jacket and goes at it. She was never privy to the conversation about it, she even leaves the room when the announcement is made, but I guess she could have just eavesdropped to figure it out.

But it's honestly just not explained well. I think they cut some scenes or something, because she says there the entire night too, instead of leaving when she could have.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Silo first episode down and it immediately grabs your attention. I know the book series is good, but it really hooks you in the first half. Very well done so far. Acting, pacing, etc.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Foundation Season 2 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogReJyWgkBU

July 14th release. I had fun watching season 1, so i'll be checking it out. Looks like they increased the CGI budget by quite a bit.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Hijack is the bad show you can't look away from. It's not the worst and it's certainly not the best, but it's just intriguing enough, just dumb enough, that you can't look away from. Like a car wreck on the interstate, you wanna look at it but by god the traffic better not be slowed down because I really wanna get home.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Constellation is so loving weird and good. I haven't been lost in a show like this for years. I'm just waiting to figure out things and god damnit, I'll probably never understand and way smarter people then me made this show.

The only thing that pisses me off is the product placement. If I see another iPhone or iWatch.

Edit: oh jeez, they've introduced iPads and now it's floating through space. It's a good show, but seriously?

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 23, 2024

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I finished up episode 3 of Constellation and hot drat aren't Noomi Rapace and Jonathan Banks killing it? Jonathan Banks is giving me hard Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul vibes.

I'm trying to research this new state of, and maybe someone smarter than me has some insight into it: matter. This new thing they were looking at was found and is clearly affecting everything. I guess plasma? We clearly see them exist in two states at once. I don't know what that could be, but i think they found it. Episode 3 talking ahead. We get shots of things like Alice walking down an alley, one behind the other. One is in front, goes a direction and the other is behind, a little slower and we don't know the direction. They're talking about existing in two places at once, I don't get it. Some things are pretty clear, as far as the back story, which is I think ultimately gonna wrap up this show. Jo and Frederic are loving. It's why Jo and Magnus, well among probably several things, are having issues.

Also, wtf does Henry, "Bud" have? He's looking worse and worse over time. These spots on his skin. Him and Irene are taking these same pills. I'm pretty loving lost here, right now. I have an idea of what's going on, but I feel like I don't.

Good show, worth watching.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

apatheticman posted:

CeeJee above pretty much nailed where I think they're going.

Yea I agree with a lot of it. None of it really makes sense, but that's fine. I think my big questions are about Bud's Nobel prize? He won it for something. And he got a really good gig at a really nice place for doing it. They aren't saying what it is yet. Just that he won, and apparently they are up in space doing it and everyone listens to him. He's just a really good leader and a really good pilot, but the entirety of the worlds space expedition doesn't listen to you unless you found some pretty major poo poo. So yea, still sooooo many questions. And who the gently caress is Irene, and why does she know bud and why did Jo find a dead, Russian, female pilot flying through space and why did it hit the I.S.S. on the climate of their mission? Why is Irene looking at her iPad (nice product placement) in fear like that? She knows something we don't yet.

It's a good mark for a good show that we have a lot of questions, that have kind of been substantiated, but really haven't.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

As for Bud and Irina, it definitely seems like They are also from another reality. Bud is from a reality where Apollo 18 went fine, then he comes back down to Earth and is in a reality where there were a bunch of fuckups. Irina possibly died in one of the realities on her mission and then came back down to an alternate reality or something. I'm not really sure how that one works. Both this reality and Jo's original reality are both sure that no one has ever died in space (until now) so where does Irina's corpse fit in? I assume it's her because Bud saw her as being a desiccated corpse when he was seeing her in the other reality or whatever in the hotel room.

They are also both definitely riddled with cancer and dying. Why now, this many years later, I don't know. And Jo is given pills that look suspiciously like the same pills, but she's told they are vitamins. I was able to spot that it's got something to do with Lithium, but they framed the bottle so I couldn't read it. So I squinted and spotted Lithium written on it, which looks like it could assist with cancer.

New episode should be out tomorrow and I suspect we'll start to learn a few new things and have even more questions.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I binged my way through it this weekend.

Overall it's pretty entertaining. Monarch (the organization) seems kind of like a cargo-cult secret agency. They somehow have a huge budget for countless black-ops sites around the world and endless goon squads to go ominously hassle civilians, but after 60 years they don't seem to be any good at actually tracking, studying, or dealing with giant monsters. I kept waiting for a Big Reveal about what its actual purpose or goals are, but that just... never really happens, just a little teaser hint at the very end. I just don't get why Monarch has to operate in the shadows like it's SPECTRE or something, their ostensible mission is something that the world would pretty easily get behind.

That being said, I like a lot of the elements. G-day and the aftermath is a cool theme I wish they spent some more time exploring. The present/past storylines are pretty well done, and the Russels are some great casting for that. The giant monsters are great, it would be nice to have more of them but I get that SFX budgets aren't infinite.

Firing up Constellation next, it sounds pretty cool.

Yea I liked Monarch eventually, but not at first. It had a slow start that made me quit watching for a bit out of a lack of interest, but with the new Godzilla and Kong movie coming out, I got a bit of a renewed interest in the series and binged it. It started to pick up and developed some interesting back story to Monarch and the titans. I'm wondering what kind of tie-in they'll have together, if any.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

stev posted:

Does For All Mankind get significantly worse after season 2? I'm just getting to the end of 2 now and I'm really enjoying it.

Pretty much. It has its moment but it kind of goes completely off the rails. I thought season 4 was better than 3 personally, but you have to watch season 3 to get there. Sometimes it's better to just leave shows early when they are at their peak (looking at you Game of Thrones).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The first two eps of Manhunt came out, I watched the first one. Seems like it should be pretty fun. Hilarious though how cannibalistic Apple TV+ is with actors. Croz from Master of the Air seems to have a dastardly ancestor.

I watched the first episode and it's pretty good. Tobias Menzies is doing a pretty good job leading it. So far Anthony Boyle is the only actor I've noticed from Masters of the Air, but Apple does seem to do that with a lot of their actors. I bet the checks are fat. I did like seeing Matt Walsh in it, who I really only know as a supporting actor in comedic roles, and I guess Patton Oswalt shows up at some point.

Speaking of Masters of the Air, the finale was last night and it was one of the better finales I've seen for a show. It was long too, well over an hour. That was a fantastic series, but not as good as Band of Brothers.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, they pretty much killed it with the first episode, escalated a few things in the 2nd and since then have been struggling. I haven't even finished the latest episode and not sure if I want too.

Manhunt is pretty decent. I haven't watched Palm Royale yet, but i'm a big fan of Kristen Wiig so I will one day.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm also really enjoying Sugar and avoiding reading as much about it as I can. Colin Farrell is fantastic in everything. Episode 3 really threw me for a loop though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I didn't really pick up on the whole alien (or otherwise) thing, but I guess it makes sense. I just guessed Sugar was some kind of super ex-CIA operative with a heroic complex after he lost his daughter or something. Which I guess they initially paint it as that, but who is that good, really? He's like, too kind to be this way without having some kind of really weird background.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm definitely sensing the (Sugar EP4) alien (possibly even Things) plot now. It sounded a little wild at first but some of the lines from Ep 4 got me. I don't think it's gonna be a bad alien infiltration thing. They seem like kind ones trying to do good things. I think they are involving Stallings to recruit more bodies for them to inhabit. One of those girls might be Olivia. During this episode I thought maybe he was doing sex trafficking, because that was mentioned earlier and he chose young girls off the bus. But Davy said the girls seemed "happy" (which could just be something a creep like Davy would think). One of my side theories is that Stallings is a bad alien and maybe the aliens have like a pact/law to not harm another one of them. Maybe they are the last of their race and view each one as important. Which is why they are keeping Sugar from finding out because he might kill Stallings. The other theory involves the scene with Miller who calls a clearly alive tree "fertile and dead at the same time". They could possibly be getting new hosts because not only are there so few of them, but they know the planet is dying. Which might be why they want young girls and are using them to make babies. Who knows, maybe they aren't exactly aliens and are just humans from the future who are sending off new humans to whereever the future humans ended up.

I'm digging the show and there is clearly something going on underneath it all. I like all the little theories of whats going on.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I haven't watched ep4 that's just dropped yet, but the polyglot gathering in ep3 I maybe got a little 'Wings of Desire' Angels in the Library vibe, is this drat show a reboot of Highway to Heaven!? :o:

This was an interesting theory I didn't think of until you mentioned it. Maybe they are (Some EP4 stuff here) angels. Maybe Stallings is actually a fallen angel doing evil things in his basement because it's his own little hell he created. If that were true, not sure why some of them would be protecting him. Makes me wonder where Mr. Siegel falls into any of this though, but he did build a shrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Now that that is over with, I have questions about other things, like (EP6):what is the mission? Why are they locating lost/kidnapped people? Why did Ruby presumably try and kill Sugar? Who is the girl that Sugar sees in his flashbacks that Olivia reminds him of? Is it just some alien that looks like her, but not blue? Because now we know they aren't just body snatching, or at least I guess they aren't based off Sugar basically just turning blue. Some things I did notice was the symbol on the bag is the same symbol on the card from earlier. During the fight when Sugar almost gets shot, the arm that usually gives him problems is the same one that he blocks the bullet with. At first I thought he used like mind powers or something, but I think it hits the arm and deflects. Maybe it's mind powers though, but it happens so fast.

Definitely a weird show, but I'm strangely somewhat less excited about the final two episodes. It's like we got the real pay off in episode 6.