Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I recently binged through Band of Brothers and The Pacific. The Pacific didn't quite match how great Band of Brothers was. It felt like a "here are the famous guys from The Marines" show vs following the story of one unit that BoB did. BoB follows from basic training, through the whole war, and then ends when they defeat Germany. You see people die or leave, you see replacements show up. You see people miss out on a campaign and return to a changed unit dynamic where the replacements they ragged on are now veterans and the guy returning is now less experienced.

The Pacific does a good job of showing how hosed things were for The Marines where they have the shittiest equipment and are given horrendous tasks to accomplish. But it ends up being a bunch of different stories compared to BoB. I guess that's just down to the real story of Easy Company being so insane that it was possible to create a great story out of the real events of one unit, whereas for the Pacific, they based it on two different books. Masters of the Air is based on one book and reviews seem to say it is full of great info, so hopefully the show will be closer to Band of Brothers.

I love both, but the Pacific has too many main characters. I reckon dumping Leckie and keeping it just the Sledge and Basilone show would work wonders. It’s exhausting and not as enjoyable as band of brothers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Uh yeah just finished first episode of Constellation and this is equal parts Event Horizon, 12 Monkeys, and the house parts of Returnal for sure. Crazy stuff. Really good.

Oh nice, sounds great

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Any idea when Disclaimer, Alfonso Cuarón's new thing, is coming out? Just says 2024. I imagine backend of the year?