Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am really loving For All Mankind. It's so good and I love Apollo stuff. I really hope that this expanded apollo program means they never move to the space shuttle and they keep launching space dicks into the sky.

I wonder if Ted Kennedy telling Nixon that he's going to pardon him is because it was part of the deal to get the ERA passed, or if it is because Kennedy thinks he could be impeached over what he did to get the ERA and he's pardoning Nixon to set a precedent that criminal presidents get pardons. I guess it's just me sperging too hard, but Nixon doesn't have to accept the pardon (as it would be an admission of guilt) and just tell Kennedy to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the pacing is fine, but being on Apple TV whatever is definitely hurting it. I haven't heard anyone talk about the service at all. The one person I did hear say something about it was on a podcast and said there weren't any shows on it. it was renewed for a second season, so hopefully someone there believes in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Baronash posted:

I really like that they're dropping shows weekly. My wife and I are watching The Morning Show, and we're actually discussing television again. We haven't done that in years, and I mostly fault the switch to binge-watching. Even when we would only get 1 or 2 episodes in a night, it still just felt asinine to discuss where we think the next episode will go when it's already available.

And for me personally, the same thing happened as far as posting in TVIV. A show would drop and within 2 days the discussion was about the season as a whole, and a week later everyone has said everything they wanted to about it.

While I don't like having to wait a whole week to see an episode, being able to watch a bunch at once is really bad for me because I will watch all of them in one sitting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This episode of For All Mankind was crazy. It's kind of slow for the whole episode and then a whole bunch of stuff happens right at the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Makes sense as that was when RDM had his biggest shows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I spent the entire time thinking "what the gently caress is happening, why is this happening?" Which I guess is what she was thinking as well. So I'm guessing the favor Mitch is asking her to do is to bring to light that the network swept him raping her under the rug by just promoting her?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've never had a show make me feel as anxious as I did when Gordo wanted to take his helmet off on the moon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy loving poo poo that For All Mankind Episode. Insane how the one guy is totally vaporized by the J-2's exhaust plume and that wasn't even acknowledged by anyone. Though, I am guessing it will serve a purpose later to open up a seat on 24 for Ed when they decide to cliffhanger cancel the whole program until season 2. They will get 24 back on course (seems obvious, the S-IVB ends up with extra fuel that was used to either send it into solar orbit or crash into the moon), and then pick up Ed. Something will happen to deal with the fall-out of him attempting to murder the Russian. I'm guessing the end of the episode will be a congressional hearing about whether they really need a moon base if the human cost and threat of war with Russia is so high.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It is very obviously an alternate history where things happened differently, but that doesn't stop space youtubers from getting up in arms about how something just isn't possible and they are freaking out that maybe people will think it was possible for the Russians to get to the moon. But the truth is that regular viewers don't give a poo poo if things are drastically different or not possible with the technology of the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
God drat both For All Mankind and The Morning Show had insane finales. I can't wait to see where these shows go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Aw man, I was hoping that when they showed off that sea launched rocket that it meant they would be diverging from history and not use the space shuttle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

Can someone explain what the significance was of the post credits scene in season 1? What is the significance of doing a partial underwater launch, and what is special about the new rocket?

It was a Sea Dragon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_%28rocket%29 . We won't know why they used it until next season if at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apparently production is back on for For All Mankind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I liked the episode, but it starts with a big montage and then a time jump to the late 70s or maybe early 80s and continues on from there. But that leaves open a huge cliffhanger with that russian guy that shows up at Jamestown. Maybe they will get to that over the course of the season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Regardless of what people think of the rest of the episodes, this show absolutely nails stories from the past that culminate in the creation of the studio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well if you're going to add context, that just ruins the dunk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I was really hoping he was going to end the episode with telling his friend that Asimov actually wrote the book he won a Nebula for.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Also is it fraud if Asimov edited the book for free?

We obviously don't know the whole story of Tears of Anaren but, CW wrote: In the deepest of dungeons, hidden in the ruins of the most remote castle, on the furthest of reaches of the galaxy, there lays a scroll. Sandwiched between rocks, it has been perfectly preserved from the elements. It tells of a tale of the indigenous robot-horse lords of the mysterious terra forma. A land once filled with hope and brotherly love, it is now simply known to historians as Anaren.

And Asimov wrote: The universe has been plagued by a terrifying condition from which we have yet to evolve - Violence. Even in our most prosperous of ages, force has been exerted to assert dominance over others. The desire for power, the thirst for blood and unquenchable greed have doomed many great civilizations that seemed to extraordinary to ever fall. Uncorruptible figures have succumbed to these petty predatory instincts. Respectable men, honest men, forgiving men, nurturing men have all been beleagured by this curse upon humanity.

We only see a few pages, and who knows if what's on the page is supposed to be canon or not. But it's pretty clear that Asimov didn't simply edit it, he took CW's basic idea and completely rewrote it. At best, Tears of the Anaren is written by Isaac Asimov, story by CW Longbottom. Which explains why his second book had a drastic dip in quality. That they took the effort to show that Asimov crossed out CW's entire story and wrote his own. Then Anne says "Tears of the Anaren didn't read like a poor man's Asimov, it read exactly like Asimov", followed by an awkward pause. Then Peter brings up in the next episode that the second book had a big dip in quality from the first. It feels like a Chekov's gun that will have to come up eventually causing a big kerfuffle in the sci-fi world when CW is shown to be a fraud or something along that line. That's probably why he can't write the third book. He thought he would have improved enough to write the second as well as the first was written, but then it turned out he couldn't and he doesn't know how to write the third.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wouldn't put it past him to have it removed when she changed offices.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just bought an ipad for taking notes at school and saw that it's only 3 months now :/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Look buddy, the mercury capsule didn't have enough room for 100 tampons. We didn't have the technology to bring women into space until the space shuttle. a real thing that happened

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Spacebump posted:

The Russian pencil thing was actually bad for the Russians. The graphite was super fine, could break into tiny pieces, float away, and cause important systems to malfunction. The Americans spent the amount of money they did on the pen for a smart reason.

It has become a big joke over time only because people don't understand why they did it.

I don't know if anyone used graphite pencils. Russia and America used grease pencils. Then the Fischer pen company created a pen that could write in zero g and sold it to both NASA and the Russian space agency.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I mean, in For All Mankind Live in the gray wife slept with her dead son's best friend

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was a great episode of Ted Lasso. It felt great, but I'm sure it's going to lead to a lot of drama later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Having a random Christmas episode was just really jarring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Since they haven't been getting wins, I'm guessing they are in the bottom half of whatever league they are in right now. Depending on how many seasons they plan on doing, I'm guessing the finale for the whole show will be them being promoted back into the premier league. And everyone pats themselves on the backs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it's 3 seasons, then I'm guessing they pull out a few wins this season to be able to stay in this league, and then next season they win a bunch and get promoted back to premier league.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Here's the hierarchy. It's pretty easy to follow for a few levels and then it just goes off the rails. There are apparently hundreds of football clubs in the UK.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess it can get pretty wild. This is a graph from wikipedia of a team's league throughout the years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's pretty neat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Robobot posted:

True, but this is gonna make Rebecca firing Sam hit even harder. I still think that's coming.

Why though? Looks like the old sponsor dropped them and now they are sponsored by Bantr.

MiddleOne posted:

This season of Ted Lasso definitely suffers from being atrociously paced. Ted's breakdown should have been the end of the first episode, not the halfway point of the season. We've up until this point had no tension what so ever.

If it had aired the way the writers expected and without the meddling, this episode would have been in the third week, so it wouldn't have been such a slow burn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they seriously think we wouldn't see when Roy sat on a chair, physics glitched through it and then shot across the room?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The show is about making a game, but there's not much actual "making a game" in it. Maybe someone is working on a feature, or trying to get some art asset created, but it's not like it gets into technical mumbo jumbo and some nerd is all caps screaming on twitter "THAT'S NOT HOW YOU COMPILE IN UNITY!" It's not going to get everything right, but it's not CSI "the files are hidden inside Prince of Persia, tighten up the graphics on level three and then six million points when you bonk the goomba" type of completely ignorant poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like that Roy comes across as this cool guy who doesn't take poo poo from anyone, and then he's reading the Da Vinci Code and having his mind blown.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He's definitely feeding off the praise people give him. It wasn't until he saw that lovely twitter comment that he started being a real rear end in a top hat to the new kit man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hughlander posted:

He was being an rear end in a top hat to the new kit man from the first scene of the season.

Yes, but he kicked it up a notch when he saw negative feedback.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
British people are pretty famous for not being able to pronounce things, even in their own language.

Edit: especially in their own language

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 11, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The first season definitely had a feeling that it was mostly about Ted trying to fit in as the coach for the team and the team trying to do well enough to stay in the league. This season its mostly just Ted being the coach now and sometimes there's a thing he doesn't get, and the team just doesn't seem to care that they are at risk of being relegated into an even lower league. It's entertaining to watch but it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I do like that about streaming shows. Every once in a while a show is just 70 minutes long for no reason and it's usually a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really hope they do whatever it is they are going to do with Nate soon, because he's loving annoying. He keeps trying to act like he's a smart and important boy while just being mediocre and happening to have made one good call a while ago. He's cringy as hell and I can't stand listening to him this season.