Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

redneck nazgul posted:

pretty sure this is because the EU has different views on corporations and what laws apply to them than switzerland

There is still a LOT of R&D in Switzerland. How much pharma R&D is done in Switzerland versus like, India? It doesn’t really matter where a chemical is made, if you could do it 10x cheaper in a secret lab in Bangalore, then companies would.

Also I’m pretty sure OP also posted a similar and utterly naive / harebrained thread on this same subforum a year or two ago. Someone with archive access might have fun pulling that out. I’m almost positive it was the same poster, as it was written in just the same way, like a 15 year old who has just figured out life.

OP also seems to be unaware that money has hugely diminishing returns vis a vis buying happiness for almost everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Wash/rinse/repeat until you hit a level that works for you. You gotta be willing to take a risk: there will be misses. Save your money when you make it, that will help you survive the lean times (unemployment should be able to mostly cover your rent, I live in Oakland and that was how I survived. Oakland is hella expensive so avoid falling into traps. Don't rent a place where max unemployment won't cover the rent).

I think that's also one thing people like OP don't think about. Yeah a decent programmer can make 120-150k/yr in the Bay Area, but honestly you'd have a higher quality of life living in like, Houston, making 70-80k/yr. Of course this depends on what your priorities are and where you come from in the first place, but moving to the bay area to take a job at $120k when you're making $70k in New Orleans where you were born and raised or went to college or whatever seems incredibly stupid to me unless you're younger than like 25.

Not only is PPP massively different even across the US, but some jobs could be done literally anywhere and you can move to Thailand or Cambodia and work as a remote programmer for 40k/yr (although you'll have to be established first; I can't imagine almost anyone successfully doing this completely on their own at age 23). There are relatively few things that have relatively-static costs globally -- pretty much just electronics, luxury items, and plane tickets, which will indeed be way "cheaper" to someone earning in California. The stuff that takes a larger percentage of most people's paychecks (rent, food, going out) is going to vary by a factor of 2-4 across just the USA, or even more if you are someone who wants to own their own home.

I knew a lot of people that have moved to California "for the weather and outdoors" and then they worked like 70 hours a week at Google or wherever and didn't do jack-poo poo else in their lives. Yeah I bet the weather's lovely, too bad you were always in an office and only went to the beach twice a year.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

You're not rich if you "go to work" to make your money.

Some notable not-rich people:

- Heart surgeons
- Investment bankers
- Tim Cook