Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
First you need the connections and/or the luck to get into a position where you can exploit the labour of others and then you have to mercilessly exploit the labour of others. This is p bad so maybe try not to do it?

Also:

oliveoil posted:

Is this just naive? It does seem to me that anyone who is healthy and not challenged by dependent children or otherwise required to invest their free time in other people could go from zero to making $150k per year or more within 2-3 years without college.

Yes it is naive as gently caress. If it were that easy, why do you think that almost nobody does it? Do you think people actually want to be poor or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

oliveoil posted:

I want to live in ridiculous luxury while also never having to work or obey anyone telling me how to live my life - whether that's a manager or someone who thinks that a certain amount of stuff is enough for someone to have.

Also, becoming rich as gently caress is one of the ingredients for me to be happy.

I want to live in Minecraft and you don't get to spend your time building really big and cool poo poo if you're broke.

Don't wanna be rude or anything, but you do realize that this is literally the mindset of a spoiled child, do you not?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

oliveoil posted:

I have also considered that if I can figure out how to convince some pessimistic shitposters to become optimistic millionaires then maybe I'm on the right track.

The temptation to switch to trolling is always present, though. I am gonna have to try really hard not to shitpost and/or exaggerate nuggets of thought into mountains of shitposting...

I'm kinda hoping you're trolling here, but in any case the conclusion that people could just one day decide to become rich as if the only thing you need is the right goddamn mindset or something is just so incomprehensibly stupid to be that I honestly cannot fathom how anyone could arrive to it by reasoning in good faith.

Like, if you think about these things even medium-hard, then why would you ever believe that you'd need to convince people to get out of poverty if it was as easy as you say? Do you think that most everybody who is poor is where they are by choice? That they simply like having to bust their asses just to barely be able to put food on the table and being one bad break away from bankruptcy? It makes absolutely zero sense. At least the rear end in a top hat capitalists have some explanations for why poor people are poor that could even theoretically be correct, but you ain't even got that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

What if a co-op is phenomenally successful? Does it have to be democratic at the level of a nation state or the entire world?

Literally the only way you can get really super rich is by exploiting the labour of others, so how exactly would a co-op be able to pull that one off? You'd have to involve the labour of people not in the co-op somehow, and then you're no longer democratic.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

oliveoil posted:

Very good question. I hadn't considered doing that. I just thought all the code schools were scams managed by idiots and it never occurred to me that I could make a better one. I'm not sure if I'd get rich as fast as I want that way but it could be very good. Maybe especially if I make it a self-taught class so I don't have to do any work.

I see you've finally realized that the way to get rich is to do nothing yourself and just skim off the top from other peoples' hard work. This is very good, we're making progress here.

Now you just have to figure out that this is actually a bad and unjust thing and we're golden.