Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Leverage what you've got and find someone smarter or (ideally and) more charismatic than you. It helps if you are good at <specific thing> they need but really you just need to be *better* at that specific thing and work with them.

If you can't do that, at least figure out what the next biggest thing is in your sector and tie yourself to that. Start-ups have high turnover and/or grow quickly so you can at least get some real "king of poo poo mountain" stuff on your resume but you are equally likely to just have a nice loving payday.

Wash/rinse/repeat until you hit a level that works for you. You gotta be willing to take a risk: there will be misses. Save your money when you make it, that will help you survive the lean times (unemployment should be able to mostly cover your rent, I live in Oakland and that was how I survived. Oakland is hella expensive so avoid falling into traps. Don't rent a place where max unemployment won't cover the rent).

Given your skill set, it's about deciding where to settle. Take risks and don't live beyond your means until they pay out. Then live within them (I seen people who are still living lean in their 40s and that's dumb. At that point, coast it out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Saladman posted:

I think that's also one thing people like OP don't think about. Yeah a decent programmer can make 120-150k/yr in the Bay Area, but honestly you'd have a higher quality of life living in like, Houston, making 70-80k/yr. Of course this depends on what your priorities are and where you come from in the first place, but moving to the bay area to take a job at $120k when you're making $70k in New Orleans where you were born and raised or went to college or whatever seems incredibly stupid to me unless you're younger than like 25.

Yeah but a lot of those poo poo holes dont have jobs in a meaningful sense and your career will dead end incredibly quickly.

A good piece of advice is to move to NYC. Thag place is a crucible and you will figure out what you are good at quickly. If tech, the Bay but it's not the same and a tech company in NYC is still probably better for you.

Then move to a hotspot for your area (Bay if tech). Once you are established you can move to somewhere like Houston or Cambodia and live "large". I'd recommend staying in a civilized place, so cambodia before Texas but ymmv.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The real way to leverage FMA is to work for a big company that doesn't know what it has. Steal their tech and use it in a novel way that will make huge sums of money. Once you reach a certain level of success you WILL get sued, but settle out of court and you will still be way ahead.

If you can't do that, latch onto someone who can and be part of their initial team.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Helsing posted:

What are some good recent examples of this?

Apple is the most obvious.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Being young is pretty cheap, Joseph Campbell talks about it.

I have a friend who went from working at a nail salon to working in cybersecurity because they signed up for a bootcamp.

The real trick with those bootcamps is to be a self taught programmer beforehand. That way you look like a wunderkid and get the sweet internships that turn into lucrative careers.

Still not rich. But then you start looking for people to latch on to so you can geow.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Facebook itself was a late comer. Friendster and MySpace predate it, Facebook just added exclusivity (for a time) and cleaned it up.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My wife has a poverty attitude. I just got vested at a nice company. The value is substantial.

My wife's first response? "What will that do to our taxes? Refuse it, we dont need it!"

And I'm like, "Babe, we pay a percentage on it. Yes, we will pay more taxes but we come out with a lot more money."

Be like me and not my wife.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

nankeen posted:

so are we still talking about how to get poor people out of poverty?

NYC can be a very cheap city to live in. Its unique as a metro area in that way. I paid less in rent, eating out and groceries when I lived in NYC than i did when I lived in Indianapolis.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Eox posted:

Yeah, dumpsters are magical things.

They were until the fascists made it so we can't turn them into swimming pools anymore. That was the day freedom died in this country!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

sports posted:

Indy is most definitely cheaper. I think a single room at the 92Y is the same rent as a 2br across from Rolls Royce.
I also don't know of any moderately good restaurant in Indy that was worth a $50/plate bill like I would end up with in midtown. Everything is so cheap here if you don't drive all the time.

On average, sure. But it isn't hard to make NYC cheap and the ceiling in NYC is much higher. I had done pretty much all you can do in Indy on 20K/yr. I went to all the good restaurants, was getting invited to restaurant openings, etc. Literal Lily exec's weren't living that different from me aside from nicer cars, houses and vacations. What's the point of more money? What keeps you hugey? After living in NYC, I was making 10x that and I still hadn't scratched the surface of what was possible.

I moved from a $650/mo studio in Indy to a $500/mo bedroom in a 2 bedroom in the Bronx. At the start, I went from Goose, the ever changing place next to Saragas and Some Guys/Baz to Mamouns, Vanessa's and corner pizza. Much cheaper and aside from Goose which I still miss like a person, better too.

I upgraded my life, my city and my horizon for less money. It was great.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This was a few years ago but its still not hard to find very affordable options in the Bronx. I'm seeing on bedroom (in a 2 br, like I had) for $700/mo in my old neighborhood.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was fortunate because I found a bedroom that was quite spacious. And it was in Tremont right by the 4 and D so I could basically get anywhere I wanted (plus easy bus access to Inwood). People would always talk about how far it was, but it wasn't any more time on the subway than "respectable" areas like Inwood or Astoria.

The topic isn't "how to live comfortably" it's "how to get rich" which involves a massive amount of hustle and finding a way to live substantially below your means in a city where you can leverage yourself for advancement. NYC is a city that doesn't tolerate mediocrity, so you've got to figure out what makes you good and do it fast. In a city like Indy you can float on comfortable mediocrity forever. Both have their virtues, but if you want a shot at a net worth that is self-sustainably rich, one will get you there and the other won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

If you got rich, I'm pretty sure it had more to do with making $200k a year than it did with saving $150/mo on rent. No amount of nickel-and-diming is going to turn a $20k/yr income into never having to work again.

I agree completely. But I wouldn't have had the option to upgrade my $20K/yr career path to a $200K/yr path in Indy, nor the inclination. However, having rent that I could afford on unemployment while I transitioned careers in a city that makes that transition possible was a huge stepping stone for me. If I had stayed in Indy, I would have absolutely plateaued much earlier, because what's the point of having more than like $100K in Indy? After I left NYC for Oakland, I've continued to have my income grow because the ceiling here is much higher so there is more out there to get. I'm still not rich by a longshot but I've got a comfortable life.

But you are right, it wasn't saving $150/mo on rent. It was moving to NYC, which was my suggestion. Being able to live in NYC in a cost-effective manner gave me freedom to move around grow. My recommendation was to move to NYC because it is a crucible. That means, unless you are very lucky, you will likely fail at first. Which means you need to do it in a cost-effective manner to recover from that failure. Luck plays a huge role in life so you need to be able to account for normal luck. And of course bad luck can gently caress anybody over. People act like you can't live in NYC for cheap, but you can! Especially because of the huge public infrastructure.

I've known people who hate their career paths and are only every going to be moderately successful because they hate it, but are trapped by their lifestyles so they can't afford to change paths either. No matter what your income, that's a seriously bad place to be. It's a non-starter as a path for wealth but it's also terrible from a personal enjoyment/satisfaction level. Like, we've all had jobs that we hate and it sucks.