Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
What does it take?

I work at a top tech company and I like to think I could get someone on track to self-teach themselves how to code at a level to succeed at Facebook, LinkedIn, and other similar companies while gradually gaining the experience to get hired.

Is this just naive? It does seem to me that anyone who is healthy and not challenged by dependent children or otherwise required to invest their free time in other people could go from zero to making $150k per year or more within 2-3 years without college.

From there, renting a poo poo studio in a major city would let them save about 50% of their post-tax income and they'd be on their way to the mythical Financial Independence/Early Retirement (FIRE).

Would you consider $150k starting and like 6-10% or more in annual raises to make you rich? Would getting there in 2-3 years count as getting rich quick for you?

Can you think of anything faster that can also be distilled down to a sequence of simple steps that can be quickly explained? Or is even this too optimistic? I can describe the steps as I seem them to go from zero to highly-paid software engineer if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Junior G-man posted:

Why does being rich matter to you? Why is that taking first place over being, say, happy in your post?

Also you get to be rich by exploiting and extracting the surplus labour of your comrades, which is bad and don't do that.

I want to live in ridiculous luxury while also never having to work or obey anyone telling me how to live my life - whether that's a manager or someone who thinks that a certain amount of stuff is enough for someone to have.

Also, becoming rich as gently caress is one of the ingredients for me to be happy.

I want to live in Minecraft and you don't get to spend your time building really big and cool poo poo if you're broke.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Cicero posted:

I don't think this is true for the kind of rich OP is talking about unless you're using an awfully broad definition of sociopath that likely includes most humans

He's talking about 'FIRE' rich, which usually means just rich enough to have a middle-class lifestyle without working, not rich enough to afford penthouse apartments in Manhattan, jetset around the world constantly, etc. Basically it's what most people are probably aiming for in retirement, except earlier.

All of it.

I want FIRE rich as step 1 and then I want to save even more to make star trek replicators real, end scarcity of housing and healthcare, solve global warming, etc.

Many people think wealth is just a prize for the evil but I see it as many things. There are many ways to get it, some dishonest. But I have a suspicion that you can also accumulate it in a democratic and helpful way. In either case, once you have it, you essentially have the ability to direct other people to do things, but only 1. If you give them some direct benefit (i.e., payment) and 2. Put your own skin in the game. Like a leader who needs to be competent or get beheaded, but without the beheadings because instead you just lose your money, and also without the ability to force people to do follow you under threat of violence or imprisonment.

Oddly, I'm not sure if I hate the idea of a wealth tax or like it for getting rid of the idle rich who don't contribute effectively, but I do think billionaires are fine and I suspect my ultimate goal will require me to become one or at least make me one. But now I'm rambling....

I also want to see if I can help other people get FIRE rich.

I'm pretty sure this is all doable with enough optimism. But I see lots and lots of pessimists these days.

D&D has so many depressing pessimists though and I need to have them poke holes in my thought process and ideas. E g., I think if we make healthcare and housing as common as oxygen then we'll be fine. So why doesn't someone aim for that? Because everyone with real money is too conservative and wants to chase unprofitable social fart app start-ups so they can do a legal pump and dump on innocent savers' index funds and the larger unsuspecting public. I.e., WeWork etc seem to me to be scams and basically the dishonest and harmful ways to "create" (probably more like extract) wealth. Fortunately it sounds like the only people to lose money on WeWork were the people operating the pump and dump... But I'm rambling again.

I have also considered that if I can figure out how to convince some pessimistic shitposters to become optimistic millionaires then maybe I'm on the right track.

The temptation to switch to trolling is always present, though. I am gonna have to try really hard not to shitpost and/or exaggerate nuggets of thought into mountains of shitposting...

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
God there's so much here responding to everyone is gonna be like when you really don't want to write a long paper but you have to but I'm gonna wait a little bit

Or maybe we should just use this thread for inspiration? We can do stream of consciousness stuff and see if we find any diamonds in the rough.

In the meantime https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/world-has-gone-mad-system-broken-ray-dalio?articleId=6597520880811724801

Is anyone opposed to just literally printing money and giving it to poor people instead of printing money and using it to make rich people richer?

This is the kind of thing that makes me think IPOs are scams- if you're an entrepreneur you should be trying to gather the votes (I e., Money) of ordinary people by offering them stuff they want to pay for. Give them money and then they can vote for what's important to them personally with their wallets instead of having a small group of politicians decide.

Maaaaybe central banks' market manipulation that triggers asset price inflation should be paired with an equivalent wealth tax but that seems so complicated compared to just throwing money at poor people and letting them decide that healthcare and housing gets funded instead of fart app start-ups...

evilweasel posted:

If you could actually reliably take random college grads and convert them into coders making $150k a year, you'd be able to charge through the nose for such a useful school and earn tons more than $150k, so the question is why aren't you?

Very good question. I hadn't considered doing that. I just thought all the code schools were scams managed by idiots and it never occurred to me that I could make a better one. I'm not sure if I'd get rich as fast as I want that way but it could be very good. Maybe especially if I make it a self-taught class so I don't have to do any work.