Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the only way to get rich is by loving a lot of people over, and it's a broadly unreachable fantasy that's only accessible to utter sociopaths or people related to and inheritors of sociopath wealth

you're always better off trying to achieve inner peace and understanding with your place in the world here and now, rather than engaging in an endless and futile pursuit of material wealth which can only be gained by doing actual harm to real people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Junior G-man posted:

Ok, tell me how you do that under capitalism.

there are people out there who run businesses in an ethical fashion, treat their employees well, and prosper because of it. they are very rare, but they do exist. they also tend not to get super rich, but moderately so. definitely not as wealthy as the OP's fantasies

generally people put up with the long hours necessary to be successful in business to get filthy rich though, and they have an aspirational and wealth-focused mindsent which preferences their needs over the needs of other people. and there's always the constant temptation of big piles of money as an incentive to start loving people over, since loving people over is a shortcut to wealth

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

The tech market is also surprisingly localized. Those 150k starting salaries with rapid raises are pretty much unique to NYC and the Bay Area, and drop off pretty sharply with regional population density. If you're not in or near a major city, even a college-educated programmer's starting salary is going to be five digits rather than six, with raises that barely keep up with inflation. And the excessive cost of living in the top metro areas means that saving up money in the country and using it to move to the high-paying urban areas is fiscally impractical.

It may seem like there's no reason everyone can't do it, but these are opportunities that are limited to a very small portion of the workforce. If it seems easy to you, that's because there's a lot of filtering that goes on long before you even get to the parts that are ostensibly competitive and skill-based.

i once worked with a man who was a senior project lead for a Large Company You've Heard Of, he was pretty much the fixer for implementing complex software platforms. he told his employers, who were located on the west coast, that he would be moving to rural virginia to work on his farm and they could continue employing him or not, it was their choice. they decided to continue employing him and organizationally set up his many acre farm as a branch office with a single employee. that guy was immensely talented and i'm still not sure if he was a wizard or not but he was definitely the exception to what people can get away with in terms of remote working. effectively nobody has that kind of pull within an organization and his goal wasn't to get rich, but rather to be paid a bay area salary while living in the southern virginia countryside

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

I'm having trouble visualizing this, maybe we can develop an analogy to make it easier to understand. Let's imagine attention as a stream of, oh I don't know, ping pong balls being fired constantly at whatever object you're giving attention to. Yeah that sounds good, it would be a "ping pong ball" economy, so to speak. I'm amazed nobody has ever thought of that before.

i've seen this ping pong show