Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Why does being rich matter to you? Why is that taking first place over being, say, happy in your post?

Also you get to be rich by exploiting and extracting the surplus labour of your comrades, which is bad and don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

oliveoil posted:

not challenged by dependent children

*beep boop* goes the Randroid. *Why do these illogical dependent children not forage for themselves while I become the master of the universe?*

Systems ... failing ...

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

oliveoil posted:

I want to live in ridiculous luxury while also never having to work or obey anyone telling me how to live my life - whether that's a manager or someone who thinks that a certain amount of stuff is enough for someone to have.

Also, becoming rich as gently caress is one of the ingredients for me to be happy.

Are you fine with the suffering and misery you will by definition need to cause to others in order to achieve wealth?

Do you think there should be no limits on "the certain amount of stuff" you should have? Why are you already irked by the potential of someone limiting that for you?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Cicero posted:

I don't think this is true for the kind of rich OP is talking about unless you're using an awfully broad definition of sociopath that likely includes most humans

He's talking about 'FIRE' rich, which usually means just rich enough to have a middle-class lifestyle without working, not rich enough to afford penthouse apartments in Manhattan, jetset around the world constantly, etc. Basically it's what most people are probably aiming for in retirement, except earlier.

No, he clarified:

oliveoil posted:

I want to live in ridiculous luxury while also never having to work or obey anyone telling me how to live my life - whether that's a manager or someone who thinks that a certain amount of stuff is enough for someone to have.

Also, becoming rich as gently caress is one of the ingredients for me to be happy.

I want to live in Minecraft and you don't get to spend your time building really big and cool poo poo if you're broke.

That's not FIRE rich, that's uber-wealthy dickhead rich. Also LMAO at FIRE people.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Cicero posted:

I don't think this is true for the kind of rich OP is talking about unless you're using an awfully broad definition of sociopath that likely includes most humans

He's talking about 'FIRE' rich, which usually means just rich enough to have a middle-class lifestyle without working, not rich enough to afford penthouse apartments in Manhattan, jetset around the world constantly, etc. Basically it's what most people are probably aiming for in retirement, except earlier.

No, he clarified:

oliveoil posted:

I want to live in Minecraft and you don't get to spend your time building really big and cool poo poo if you're broke.

That's not FIRE rich, that's uber-wealthy dickhead rich. Also LMAO at FIRE people.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

But I have a suspicion that you can also accumulate it in a democratic and helpful way.

Ok, tell me how you do that under capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

My wife has a poverty attitude. I just got vested at a nice company. The value is substantial.

My wife's first response? "What will that do to our taxes? Refuse it, we dont need it!"

And I'm like, "Babe, we pay a percentage on it. Yes, we will pay more taxes but we come out with a lot more money."

Be like me and not my wife.

Alternatively, :sever: