Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The idea that anyone can be rich is wrong for the reasons everyone else has already pointed out, but also because it's a lot of work even if you have the education and skillset and other prerequisites, and it's very likely at some point on the way to being fantastically wealthy, you'll decide to be comfortable and happy rather than continuing to push yourself to get that extra bit of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, as a former software developer who might have possibly had a shot at a job with a top-tier company, you're missing one very important thing if this is the key to success: lots of people don't want to do that poo poo. I don't actually want to do that poo poo, that's why I didn't aim for it when I had the opportunity, and that's why I've gotten further away from it now. I may have been richer had I done that, but I don't honestly think I'd be happier. I'd have a bunch of money and a job I hate; I'll take my current status of "have enough money, and a job I like" instead.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

If you were able to make a cool thousand dollars every single day and somehow ignore inflation, you would need to have been saving up since the year 800 BC to reach a billion dollars now.

That's 300 years before the founding of the Roman Republic.

To reach a million you'd just need a bit under 3 years.

You can't save your way into being rich lol, you have to inherit or luck out a one in a trillion chance or be a major sociopath and exploit the poo poo out of everyone else, the latter of which is incidentally the true source of most big fortunes

Yeah, poo poo like that really drives home how ridiculous ultra-wealth can get. Consider someone with a million dollars net worth; you'd probably consider them rich, right? And if you made the same amount of money as everything they have put together, every single year after tax and living expenses, you'd still need a millennium to reach a billion dollars.