Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cicero posted:

Yeah I more or less agree. I just disagree with the notion that these jobs -- as a group -- are that elite. They're, like, moderately elite, from the perspective of a person who's already gainfully employed as a programmer, anyway. These companies often start out very selective, I have no doubt that early on, having gone to Stanford was a massive benefit to getting into Google. But Google and Amazon etc. are loving huge now, that level of selectiveness is long dead.

this is the complete opposite of how this process actually works. as you become larger, and your talent pool to pull from becomes larger, credentialism becomes MUCH more pronounced. sure, back when they were little, there was one hiring manager who knew Stanford was legit, and so would let people in a little easier. but now? now everybody and their brother who thinks they can make it chucks an application their way.

and so, an HR department that has to separate the wheat from a never-ending avalanche of chaff needs to develop SOME kind of way to even start doing their jobs. there is no grand conspiracy. there is just the realization that hiring enough people to give every resume that comes in a pair of human eyes to assess it would be a tremendous expense. out of sheer necessity, someone writes a series of filters so humans will only have to see the resumes that ~might~ fit criteria, and from there it's a question of which surviving resumes pop. and only then is it that you actually get to try making your case to your wise and unbiased overlords.

later on someone trying to further automate the process has a machine learning algorithm take a look at who gets interviews, and it turns out what it learned from watching you was the only things that matter are if your name is Jared and if you played lacrosse.

so, OP, have you considered changing your name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cicero posted:

No, you're horribly off. At first Google can afford to mostly just pick people from Stanford & co., they don't need that many engineers and they're hot as poo poo, growing like crazy. Getting into Google means a decent chance of getting filthy rich off an IPO.

In 2019 their demand for engineers to fill seats is vastly higher and, while still prestigious, they're not nearly as hot poo poo as they once were. Getting into Google now gets you very generous compensation, but it's not going to suddenly make you wildly rich. People who want that are going to take their chances with some hot startup, or maybe a boutique hedge fund.

Look at the data posted earlier. I don't actually trust the absolute percentages, but the trend I definitely trust, and you can see that Facebook had twice the percentage of employees from top tier universities compared to Google. Is it that Facebook pays that much better and can afford to be much more selective, or whatever it is you're suggesting? No, it's that they're younger and smaller (especially when that article was written).

You can just look at which universities Google has actively recruited at to confirm this, which has greatly broadened over time.

earlier, there was explicit credentialism. later on, you build systems to seek out the Best Culture Fit (tm) and Our Kind Of People (tm).

there is no grand conspiracy to limit access to tech jobs! this must be reiterated, because if there was, that would make this problem SO much easier to address. what there is is FAR more insidious: a bunch of HR people tasked with finding needles in haystacks, armed only with the vaguest idea of what a needle actually is, and so in the name of making their jobs a little more manageable they start looking for shorthand signifiers for "this candidate is not a waste of our time."

and it just so happens that the shorthand signifiers for a candidate being worthwhile have nothing to do with experience, have nothing to do with courseload, have nothing to do with interview skill, and, in short, have nothing to do with programming. the filters can't pick any of those up, and as any good statistician can tell you, "hard to quantify" rhymes with "does not exist."

and the machine learning algorithm they do not realize they are being used to train observes everything quantifiable about who the gatekeepers let in, tracks every variable, runs every correlation, and discovers GetsInterview=1 has its two strongest correlations with Extracurricular=*Lacrosse* and FirstName=Jared.

welcome to systemic bias, friend programmer. it turns out discrimination not being an active choice doesn't make it stop being discrimination.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

I agree completely. But I wouldn't have had the option to upgrade my $20K/yr career path to a $200K/yr path in Indy, nor the inclination. However, having rent that I could afford on unemployment while I transitioned careers in a city that makes that transition possible was a huge stepping stone for me. If I had stayed in Indy, I would have absolutely plateaued much earlier, because what's the point of having more than like $100K in Indy? After I left NYC for Oakland, I've continued to have my income grow because the ceiling here is much higher so there is more out there to get. I'm still not rich by a longshot but I've got a comfortable life.

But you are right, it wasn't saving $150/mo on rent. It was moving to NYC, which was my suggestion. Being able to live in NYC in a cost-effective manner gave me freedom to move around grow. My recommendation was to move to NYC because it is a crucible. That means, unless you are very lucky, you will likely fail at first. Which means you need to do it in a cost-effective manner to recover from that failure. Luck plays a huge role in life so you need to be able to account for normal luck. And of course bad luck can gently caress anybody over. People act like you can't live in NYC for cheap, but you can! Especially because of the huge public infrastructure.

I've known people who hate their career paths and are only every going to be moderately successful because they hate it, but are trapped by their lifestyles so they can't afford to change paths either. No matter what your income, that's a seriously bad place to be. It's a non-starter as a path for wealth but it's also terrible from a personal enjoyment/satisfaction level. Like, we've all had jobs that we hate and it sucks.

i liked your anprim gimmick better