Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I have no idea what it looks like

edit: The Caucasus, too.

NUR-SULTAN ("ASTANA," UNTIL 2019/3/20), AKMOLA REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

Looks dope! I like the bombastic 'dictatorship' architecture.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s nice, I like.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

MY WAIFE

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
You will never get this

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I was in Bucharest last week and it loving owned. Not exactly central Asia but it's nearby. The food was great, the populace seemed attractive and happy*

*unless they were behind the wheel of a vehicle - and holy poo poo, let me tell you - do not get in a car with one of them

I also took a bunch of pictures of old-town Bucharest. It's pretty nuts, it's a city within a city. Old-town is a 2 square mile block of the city that is inaccessible by car where you have to walk all of these old windy cobblestone roads. It's populated by street vendors, attractive women begging you to eat at whichever cafe they work for (it gets old fast), strip clubs, bizarre shops and more. You could easily spend a month there and not see all that it has to offer. This picture is my favorite:

Not too shabby for a phone snapshot.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
^^Very nice!

Article: 'Norman said the president wants a pyramid': how starchitects built Astana
Date: 2017 OCT 17

quote:

“No other modern-day leader has used the myth-making power of architecture to construct a sense of national identity like Nazarbayev,” says Frank Albo, author of a new book on the Kazakh capital, Astana: Architecture, Myth and Destiny. “What you see here is a blend of postmodernism, Central Asian art, Islamic decor, Russian baroque, neoclassicism, orientalism, all melded into something that looks like Las Vegas meets Disneyland on nationalist steroids.” In a bid to cast off the shackles of the Soviet era, the president has embraced practically everything else.

Nazarbayev has spent the last 20 years building a city-sized monument to himself in the middle of nowhere

Architects tend to have a thing for strong men, and with the arrival of a dictator with a gushing pump of oil money and a keen interest in architecture, few big practices have managed to resist beating a path to Nazarbayev’s door.

“The whole place is a combination of Kafka and Orwell,” says Yevgeniy Zhovtis, director of the Kazakhstan International Bureau for Human Rights and Rule of Law, an NGO based in Almaty. “It has cost dozens of billions of dollars to build this vanity project, yet there are towns and villages a few kilometres away which don’t have proper roads, electricity or basic civic services. All the money that is spent on heating these huge buildings in winter and cooling them in summer could be used to fund decent services and infrastructure for the rest of the country.”

It is a common sentiment for which the $3bn Expo has become a potent focus, as a painful symbol of profligacy when almost half the population still lives on $70 a month. The project was mired in scandal from the beginning, accused of diverting money from the national pension fund and subject to claims of public sector employees being forced to buy tickets to bolster visitor numbers. Three top Expo officials were arrested for embezzlement.

“The Kazakh people are now very angry,” says one primary school teacher, visiting the Expo with her class of children from the town of Esil, six hours’ drive away. “We are proud that the Expo is here, but the leaders of our country have spent far too much money on it, trying to show off to the world.”

PHOTO JOURNAL FROM SOLO-BICYCLIST, KAZAKHSTAN:

Source: Full Album

quote:

Time to look for a camping spot.

quote:

Found. What followed were 2 days in rain, and I took no pictures. I also had to drink all kinds of bad water, since there were water holes for cattle.

quote:

I was happy to head towards a village I've spotted on the map. I was so disappointed, that it turned out to be a complete ghost town. Apperently an earthquake had destroyed it.

quote:

Hurray! After some kilometers, the whole village was rebuilt by the government. Every house looked the same. It was difficult to find the shop. I asked people and they told me in russian, how many houses I had to pass. Kind of ackward to walk to open the unlocked door, and walk into a random home in Kazhstan. After looking into some empty rooms, I finally found the room with the store. I stocked up pretty good, because the next section would not be populated.

quote:

The straighted road I've ever been on. Thank good I had a good audiobook.

Article: Kazakhstan's leader Nursultan Nazarbayev resigns
Date: 2019 MAR 19

quote:

Kazakhstan's President Nursultan Nazarbayev has abruptly announced his resignation 29 years after taking office.

In a televised address on Tuesday, the 78-year-old said he has made the "difficult" decision to terminate his authority as president, but did not give a specific reason for the shocking decision.

"I have decided to end my duties as president," Nazarbayev said before signing a decree terminating his powers effective March 30.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Giant_Pupils posted:

I was in Bucharest last week and it loving owned. Not exactly central Asia but it's nearby.

No it isn't wtf lol.

Go post in the China thread about visiting Kabul or something next.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
ILE-ALATAU NATIONAL PARK, ALMATY REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Giant_Pupils posted:

I was in Bucharest last week and it loving owned. Not exactly central Asia but it's nearby.

It's about as near Kazakhstan as Italy is near Ethiopia

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I know everyones here talking about their vacations in this Morocco.jpg thread, but I was just in London last week and thought I might be able to contribute.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Grape posted:

No it isn't wtf lol.

Go post in the China thread about visiting Kabul or something next.

It borders Ukraine and I liked the picture. C'mon dude.
Sorry, I know I'm taking liberties here but it's the closest I have ever gotten and the culture was absolutely unique. Apologies if it doesn't belong here.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 6, 2019

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Giant_Pupils posted:

Sorry, I know I'm taking liberties here but it's the closest I have ever gotten and the culture was absolutely unique. Apologies if it doesn't belong here.

It's ok. Make a thread about Bucharest. It's a rad place.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Giant_Pupils posted:

Ukraine also isn't in Central Asia lol.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
Ukraine is Eastern Europe. Do they sell maps in old town?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Giant_Pupils posted:

im glad u had fun :)

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
This controversy is dividing us like the Trans-Ili Alatau range of the Tian Shan mountains divides Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. :ussr:

ALMATY REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
ALMATY (THE "BIG APPLE"), ALMATY REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

During temperature inversion, trapped smog:

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 6, 2019

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Soviet Union kind of hosed over Central Asia big time.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
looks like central asia's over there just minding its own business and looking cool. big ups

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

cotton.jpg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

GolfHole posted:

im glad u had fun :)

It owned. As a big goofy American, I have never felt more welcome. I apologize for hijacking this thread. It’s a very cool place and I hope I can return someday.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also the project to divert the rivers for irrigation was very poorly funded and managed, ending up in much of the water evaporating or otherwise leaking into the soil along the way IIRC meaning that the actual irrigation project was largely a failure.

Then there's the nuclear testing and lots of environmentally destructive industries and resource operations carried out on the cheap with minimal oversight and little regard for the local population or the environment.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
PAVLODAR, PAVLODAR REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

BAYANUL NATIONAL PARK, PAVLODAR REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

TURKISTAN REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

TEMIRTAU, KARAGANDA REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVViLyt15jA

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Accretionist posted:

During temperature inversion, trapped smog:

I've seen something like that in Santiago, Chile (or at least it looked similar). The mountain ranges on all sides essentially creates a bowl where smog just continually lurks like some sort of evil soup. Going up the elevator of a large building you'll cross right through that barrier and be totally amazed that you were just in that disgusting morass.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

*heavy Borat accent*
Nice thread!

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
But can the US invade them for oil is the real question.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
ABANDONED OBSERVATORY, ALMATY REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
"If you we're in Tajikistan you'd be home by now!"

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
I can get down with this funky poo poo you're throwing down, OP. Give me some more. Let's get wrecked on Central Asia.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
My favorite part of the Aral sea excerpt from portmanteau.com

quote:

The disappearance of the lake was no surprise to the Soviets; they expected it to happen long before. As early as 1964, Aleksandr Asarin at the Hydroproject Institute pointed out that the lake was doomed, explaining, "It was part of the five-year plans, approved by the council of ministers and the Politburo. Nobody on a lower level would dare to say a word contradicting those plans, even if it was the fate of the Aral Sea."

The reaction to the predictions varied. Some Soviet experts apparently considered the Aral to be "nature's error", and a Soviet engineer said in 1968, "it is obvious to everyone that the evaporation of the Aral Sea is inevitable.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Ez8 posted:

I can get down with this funky poo poo you're throwing down, OP. Give me some more. Let's get wrecked on Central Asia.

It's a great outlet for being too poor to travel!

On that note...

KARAGANDA, KARAGANDA REGION, KAZAKHSTAN:

-59C/-72.4F, high humidity from burst pipe:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Giant_Pupils posted:

Are you confusing it with Bukhara?

I was there for a distant relative's wedding a few years back. Well the wedding was in Tashkent, but whatever. I seem to be missing most of the photos from Bukhara and Samarkand but here are a few I've got on this laptop.

Tashkent is mostly lovely depressing Soviet apartment blocks (since everything else got wrecked in a massive an earthquake) but Samarkand is more interesting and Bukhara has a really cute old town. Unfortunately didn't have much time to get out of the cities, there is some awesome nature stuff too.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*Borat Voice*

MY WIFE

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Since Borat has come up multiple times and there was that Bucharest post (I've also been to Romania, though I was in the north, which had good nature and depressing towns, including one where all the Romani had been forced into a walled compound), it's kind of worth noting that that actually establishes a connection between Central Asia and Romania since the Kazakhstan scenes in the Borat movie were actually filmed in a Romanian village.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Randarkman posted:

Since Borat has come up multiple times and there was that Bucharest post (I've also been to Romania, though I was in the north, which had good nature and depressing towns, including one where all the Romani had been forced into a walled compound), it's kind of worth noting that that actually establishes a connection between Central Asia and Romania since the Kazakhstan scenes in the Borat movie were actually filmed in a Romanian village.

no dude youre just supposed to quote borat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

zaepg posted:

"If you we're in Tajikistan you'd be home by now!"

TAJIKISTAN:

PRESIDENTIAL PALACE, DUSHANBE, TAJIKISTAN:

NATIONAL LIBRARY, DUSHANBE, TAJIKISTAN:

MINISTRY OF TAX, DUSHANBE, TAJIKISTAN: